Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 14 won't start (anymore)
WilF50 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2017 20:16 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using PD14 for over a year, but today it stopped opening. I used it yesterday (and almost every day for the past year-plus), but today it won't open. The only thing that has changed since yesterday is that we changed our Internet provider this morning. I don't think that has anything to do with this problem, but it is literally the only difference with anything since yesterday.

When I double-click a project I've been working on, nothing happens. My mouse pointer gets the little circle icon that Windows 10 gets when it's "thinking", but then nothing. The thinking circle goes away and nothing happens. The task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) shows it isn't open/running.

When I double-click the PowerDirector desktop icon to start a new project, I get nothing but the brief thinking circle. Nothing in task manager. I get no error messages or anything. It's like I clicked nothing.

This happens whether I try opening from the desktop icon, a saved project icon, the Start list, or the .exe file.

When I restart my computer, I can open PowerDirector as normal -- once. I can even save it as a project. But once I close it, I can't open it again.

I can open every other program on my computer -- including all the associated CyberLink programs: AudioDirector (the only one I've ever used other than PowerDirector), ColorDirector, Screen Recorder, Wave Editor (I don't even know what these do -- but they open).

I'm at a loss on what to do.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 22. 2017 09:58

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know what the problem is but when your computer is in the "can't open PowerDirector" state, check what processes you have got running. Press the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys simultaneously and then select "Task Manager". In the list, do you see "Power Director 14"? If so then right click on it and choose "End Process".

This is just a 'shot in the dark' and may not be relevant. If I'm guessing wrong then can you post the dxdiag output from your computer here as that may give some clue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 22. 2017 04:25

Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi WilF50,

That's a strange problem you've got.

Has there been an automatic software update on your pc? Such a may have broken a PDR file.

If I had the problem you describe, I would uninstall PDR and reinstall the program.

An option would be to go into 'system restore' and choose a restore point from a time when you know PDR was running as it should - and then restore your PC.

But maybe one of the wise guys has a better solution.

Good luck, Anja
WilF50 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't know what the problem is but when your computer is in the "can't open PowerDirector" state, check what processes you have got running. Press the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys simultaneously and then select "Task Manager". In the list, do you see "Power Director 14"? If so then right click on it and choose "End Process".

This is just a 'shot in the dark' and may not be relevant. If I'm guessing wrong then can you post the dxdiag output from your computer here as that may give some clue.
Thanks for the reply. Task Manager shows nothing running (other than, like Chrome, right now). I'll look up dxdiag and post it.
WilF50 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi WilF50,

That's a strange problem you've got.

Has there been an automatic software update on your pc? Such a may have broken a PDR file.

If I had the problem you describe, I would uninstall PDR and reinstall the program.

An option would be to go into 'system restore' and choose a restore point from a time when you know PDR was running as it should - and then restore your PC.

But maybe one of the wise guys has a better solution.

Good luck, Anja
Thanks for the reply. I'm searching to see if I still have the download (file or info) so I can reinstall. Right now, though, I'm not finding anything on my computer.