Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector / PhotoDirector for Professional Use
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

I have been a PowerDirector / PhotoDirector user for years and think that I've become very proficient with it. I rank myself as an advanced amateur whose plan is to make the jump to full-time photography/videography in 2.5 years, allowing me to hone my skills. My question is whether or not any professional photographers/videographers are out there that use CyberLink solutions for their professional work? I am not talking about people that work at TV networks, movie studios, or major Ad agencies that probably require more robust solutions such as Avid. If you are a professional using CyberLink, I am curious to see what drawbacks or shortcoming you encounter.

Thanks,

Hansonb4 (Bob)
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome back.

read End User License Agreement ("EULA") for CyberLink PowerDirector 16

also applies to previous versions.

in US of A

' If you are going to use the SOFTWARE for commercial purposes then additional licenses will be needed for the following non-exhaustive list of third party technologies:
>H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - AVC Patent Portfolio License
>MPEG-2 Video - MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio License
>MVC – MVC Patent Portfolio License
> H.265/MPEG HEVC
Contact: MPEG-LA, LLC, 6312 S. Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 400E Greenwood Village, Colorado, USA 80111
> Sensio 3D/2D - Software Library License and Ancillary Services Agreement
Contact: Sensio Technologies, Inc., 1751, Richardson, Suite 4.206, Montreal (Quebec), Canada, H3K 1G6
> MPEG-2/4 AAC, 5.1-ch Decoder + 2-ch Encoder - AAC Patent License Agreement
Contact: Via Licensing Corporation, 475 Brannan Street, Suite 320
San Francisco, CA 94107-5420, USA
> H.265/HEVC - HEVC Advance Contact: HEVC Advance LLC, 28 State Street, Suite 3202, Boston, Massachusetts, 02109, U.S.A.

CyberLink does not license the above items for commercial use and you are advised to approach the relevant licensing agents at the above addresses for more information. '

previously this subject was discussed in depth; however, ultimately comes down to YOU.

i've been asking CL for a commercial version for years...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just read the EULA and it is quite clear that if I decide to go the business route, I need to look elsewhere. The sad thing is that I have grown to really appreciate their software and I was contemplating upgrading to v16. That really leads me to pause and think whether it makes sense to learn a different program that does allow for commercial use, rather than upgrade. My photo and video skills have come a long way the last 2-3 years and as stated, I have about 2 more years to go before I can quit my current job and go from amateur to pro. I think I'll pick up a different program and use these next two years to fully understand that program and eventually drop PowerDirector. Sad, really, that there is no commercial version.

Quote welcome back.

read End User License Agreement ("EULA") for CyberLink PowerDirector 16

also applies to previous versions.

in US of A

' If you are going to use the SOFTWARE for commercial purposes then additional licenses will be needed for the following non-exhaustive list of third party technologies:
>H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - AVC Patent Portfolio License
>MPEG-2 Video - MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio License
>MVC – MVC Patent Portfolio License
> H.265/MPEG HEVC
Contact: MPEG-LA, LLC, 6312 S. Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 400E Greenwood Village, Colorado, USA 80111
> Sensio 3D/2D - Software Library License and Ancillary Services Agreement
Contact: Sensio Technologies, Inc., 1751, Richardson, Suite 4.206, Montreal (Quebec), Canada, H3K 1G6
> MPEG-2/4 AAC, 5.1-ch Decoder + 2-ch Encoder - AAC Patent License Agreement
Contact: Via Licensing Corporation, 475 Brannan Street, Suite 320
San Francisco, CA 94107-5420, USA
> H.265/HEVC - HEVC Advance Contact: HEVC Advance LLC, 28 State Street, Suite 3202, Boston, Massachusetts, 02109, U.S.A.

CyberLink does not license the above items for commercial use and you are advised to approach the relevant licensing agents at the above addresses for more information. '

previously this subject was discussed in depth; however, ultimately comes down to YOU.

i've been asking CL for a commercial version for years...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bob, this is a two part message (stupid forum!)

Although I am not a lawyer, I have spent much of my life reading the fine print of endless licenses, conditions, agreements etc. so, with that disclaimer in mind, before you swap horses it might be worth considering the following:

In reading the EULA you should note the * and **, which I believe signify the different sections and sub-headings in the EULA and then read the contents accordingly.

A careful read of the EULA will find no explicit restriction on using licensed PowerDirector software :

If you acquire the SOFTWARE under an individual license it is for your own use under the general terms above.

OTHER than the sub-section on Educational Licenses

The SOFTWARE is licensed for educational purposes and non-commercial use only.

and Trial Licenses

This license is for non-commercial use.

HOWEVER, CyberLink do explicitly draw the users attention to the restrictions applying to 3rd party technology used within the PowerDirector Software - which is the bit nearly everyone quotes, along with the restrictions on educational licenses.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2017 13:29

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
The 3rd party technology restrictions, I suspect, may well apply to any "consumer NLE" but I haven't researched that too much.I interpret the EULA to mean that CyberLink offers no explicit restriction for commercial use under a general license, and indeed one might say that by explicitly restricting the Educational and Trial licenses, there is an implicit "permission" existing under the general license but the lawyers might argue that one for a while.

I also interpret it to mean that, as an end user, the commercial use of the defined 3rd party technologies is a matter between the end user and the appropriate technology controlling bodies as detailed in the EULA. So, beware swapping horses, because the same criteria might (probably will?) apply.

If you are interested just google H.264/MPEG-4 AVC commercial use violation or similar and be prepared!!So, for us as end users, producing the odd video on a commercial basis, will MPEG LA L.L.C. come after me? Doubt it, but who knows??

Only way totally round it, is to get a commercial license - if you need to, because the conditions are anything but clear :

https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/14694/mp4-h-264-patent-issues/14699

http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archives/understanding_mpeg-4_licensing_for_streaming_media.php

gives a flavour.

So...... as usual - over to us end users, I suppose??

Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2017 13:30

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Treysvideo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2017 20:25 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The 3rd party technology restrictions, I suspect, may well apply to any "consumer NLE" but I haven't researched that too much.I interpret the EULA to mean that CyberLink offers no explicit restriction for commercial use under a general license, and indeed one might say that by explicitly restricting the Educational and Trial licenses, there is an implicit "permission" existing under the general license but the lawyers might argue that one for a while.

I also interpret it to mean that, as an end user, the commercial use of the defined 3rd party technologies is a matter between the end user and the appropriate technology controlling bodies as detailed in the EULA. So, beware swapping horses, because the same criteria might (probably will?) apply.

If you are interested just google H.264/MPEG-4 AVC commercial use violation or similar and be prepared!!So, for us as end users, producing the odd video on a commercial basis, will MPEG LA L.L.C. come after me? Doubt it, but who knows??

Only way totally round it, is to get a commercial license - if you need to, because the conditions are anything but clear :

https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/14694/mp4-h-264-patent-issues/14699

http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archives/understanding_mpeg-4_licensing_for_streaming_media.php

gives a flavour.

So...... as usual - over to us end users, I suppose??

Adrian

I would be really suprised to see someone come after you for this. Trey
In His Grip! ><>