Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transparent .MOV will not import
Teea [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 29, 2012 01:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Files will still upload on PD 15 but not on PD 16. Other MOV files will work. Only having problems with the transparent ones.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi teea -

What you've noticed is true. Alpha channel MOV files work correctly in PDR15, but not PDR16. Here. the videos import OK - it's just that what should be transparent is black. Videos that use the PNG codec work correctly. Those that use QTrle or MPEG (JPEG 2000) don't.

I have submitted a report about this & I believe the issue is being worked on.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Teea [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi teea -

What you've noticed is true. Alpha channel MOV files work correctly in PDR15, but not PDR16. Here. the videos import OK - it's just that what should be transparent is black. Videos that use the PNG codec work correctly. Those that use QTrle or MPEG (JPEG 2000) don't.

I have submitted a report about this & I believe the issue is being worked on.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony. I installed 16 but have been forced to use 15 due to all my lower thirds and graphics not working. Hope they get this fixed soon.
Teea [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does Cyberlink have any plans on fixing this in the near future? Had the program for a month and ain't got to use it yet.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Teea -

Quote: Does Cyberlink have any plans on fixing this in the near future?

That would be a YES I think. With the most recent beta patch applied, I tetsted a variey of alpha channel videos encoded with QuickTime Animation (RLE) video codec (qtrle), PNG image codec and OpenJPEG JPEG2000 (libopenjpeg) codec. They all work as expected. I have QT installed, by the way.

Here's a little sample:

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 24. 2017 20:34

[Post New]
Quote Does Cyberlink have any plans on fixing this in the near future? Had the program for a month and ain't got to use it yet.

Check the pinned beta patch thread, maybe it helps. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
Diaconu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2017 13:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello . I installed the first beta update but the problem did not go away .... I have a 4K file with the .mov extension Alpha Chanel which after a few seconds loses its properties, meaning it has no alpha chanel and has the black background. Help !!!
[Post New]
Quote Hello . I installed the first beta update but the problem did not go away .... I have a 4K file with the .mov extension Alpha Chanel which after a few seconds loses its properties, meaning it has no alpha chanel and has the black background. Help !!!

Would you mind to share the clip?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote Hello . I installed the first beta update but the problem did not go away .... I have a 4K file with the .mov extension Alpha Chanel which after a few seconds loses its properties, meaning it has no alpha chanel and has the black background. Help !!!

There have been 2 beta patches released. The first one - 2127 - did not resolve the alpha issue. The most recent 2218 patch fixed it. Please make sure you have the 2218 patch installed.

Cheers - Tony
Diaconu [Avatar]
[Post New]
it was 2218 Patch ....on 11 07 2017 ! faild !not Working
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote it was 2218 Patch ....on 11 07 2017 ! faild !not Working

So - it starts off with Alpha channel working then it reverts to black?

Can you please post the MediaInfo report for the 4K Alpha clip?

Cheers - Tony
Diaconu [Avatar]
[Post New]
yes Tony !!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2017 17:22

Diaconu [Avatar]
[Post New]
https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=gqNx2T6v5go&video_referrer=watch
[Post New]
Just like what Tony said, there are many formats of transparent/alpha .MOV

I suggest to install QuickTime if you find some unsupported clips. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote yes Tony !!

the King makes a good point. I should have mentioned that I have QT installed.

If you don't wish to install the full QT, there's one called QuickTime Lite (just the codec) which will allow you to use alpha channel videos.

You didn't post the MediaInfo report on your 4K Alpha clip, so we have nothing much to go on. Could you also post a screenshot of your PDR16 About screen showing the build you're using.

Here's a ZIP file containing 3 different alpha videos. Which ones work for you?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 07. 2017 22:25

Diaconu [Avatar]
[Post New]
This filming was done on my personal computer using the official PD version with the latest Patch, in which I showed you the properties of the file I used! Strange is why this type of file goes for a few seconds with Apha Channel and after it stops recognizing this format !!! and in PD 15 they work the same file without problems!

thx for the Codecs !

<span style="color: #212121; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">T0leratedCnmtcs-magic-pack file from </span>www.shareDAE.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HyoKZiNgp0
ynotfish
[Post New]
Sorry - all we know about the video is that it's "4K" and you say it has an alpha channel. If we had more detail, we might be able to isolate the issue.

If you have a look at the attached MediInfo reports, you'll see that the 4 alpha videos are made using different codecs (boxed in blue.

If you don't have MediaInfo, you can get it here. Please attach the full report from your alpha video.

Did you test the three alpha videos I uploaded? If so, which ones worked?

Again, please post a screenshot of your "About" screen. It should look a bit like this:

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - MediaInfo Reports.png]
 Filename
MediaInfo Reports.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
165 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
39 time(s)

Diaconu [Avatar]
[Post New]
screenshot
[Thumb - PD VERS.jpg]
 Filename
PD VERS.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
281 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
39 time(s)
[Thumb - videoMediaInfo2.jpg]
 Filename
videoMediaInfo2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
224 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
45 time(s)
[Thumb - Media info3bun.jpg]
 Filename
Media info3bun.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
213 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
44 time(s)
Diaconu [Avatar]
[Post New]
only file Door{png} is not working.

The other two files, Arrow (mjpg) and Balls (qtrle), work perfectly with Alpha Channel without interruption or other problems. thx and I hope it was helpful!
ynotfish
[Post New]
Door (png) & your Turbulence_01.mov both use the .png codec, which would have worked correctly without installing the beta patch.

I think the problem might be that you have Shadow Files enabled in Preferences. Try turning that off & test again.

Cheers - Tony