Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Ultra Wide aspect ratio ?
SSmolak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2017 19:50 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Is PowerDirector 16 can produce ultra wide aspect ratios like 21:9 ?
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

No. Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
The standard project Aspect Ratios in PDR16 are:

4:3

16:9

9:16

and the standard production profiles typically range from 640x480 up to 4096x2160 depending on which format you choose.

Cheers

PoweerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

While it is not natively supported in PowerDirector, you can still easily add a mask that makes your final video have a ultra widescreen, or any aspect ratio. In fact, most video editors don't actually have an ultra wide aspect ratio option (at least for editing). I made a video on my youtube channel on how to do this with a PiP object a couple years ago, but you can do it with a normal png or jpeg too.

Just put this image on the lowest video track that you use:

https://openclipart.org/image/2400px/svg_to_png/254536/HD-to-Cinema-transparent.png

Watch this tutorial if you need more information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyBP-YcJfMI
David-Livermore [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2017 11:11 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The standard project Aspect Ratios in PDR16 are:

4:3

16:9

9:16

and the standard production profiles typically range from 640x480 up to 4096x2160 depending on which format you choose.

Cheers

PoweerDirector Moderator

What aspect ratio do you recommend for a video that will be viewed on Facebook?

Thanks.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote While it is not natively supported in PowerDirector, you can still easily add a mask that makes your final video have a ultra widescreen, or any aspect ratio. In fact, most video editors don't actually have an ultra wide aspect ratio option (at least for editing). I made a video on my youtube channel on how to do this with a PiP object a couple years ago, but you can do it with a normal png or jpeg too.

Just put this image on the lowest video track that you use:

https://openclipart.org/image/2400px/svg_to_png/254536/HD-to-Cinema-transparent.png

Watch this tutorial if you need more information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyBP-YcJfMI

Attached is a bunch of overlays similar to the one used in Kevin's suggestion/tutorial.

N.B. There is quite a bit of variation in how "cinema" aspect ratios are interpreted. e.g. what's referred to as 21:9 is generally not.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Cinema Overlays.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
284 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Hey guys, my first post in this forum... on a burning topic for me, lol

I would like to output some videos I am working on at 21:9, and am disturbed that only a limited number of aspect ratios are natively supported in PD16. I really hope this changes in the near future. I really don't want to use the top and bottom bars method as described above (no offence intended, just want to keep my videos at full resolution without waisting pixels on the black bars).

I read in a much earlier thread (regarding PD 14) that "You CAN alter the presets through a simple ini file "hack" procedure, though.". I have looked around extensively to find out how to do that and all links / info seems to have been removed. Can someone point in the direction where I can find out how to "hack" the aspect ratio in PD 16?

Thanks
[Post New]
Quote Hey guys, my first post in this forum... on a burning topic for me, lol

I would like to output some videos I am working on at 21:9, and am disturbed that only a limited number of aspect ratios are natively supported in PD16. I really hope this changes in the near future. I really don't want to use the top and bottom bars method as described above (no offence intended, just want to keep my videos at full resolution without waisting pixels on the black bars).

I read in a much earlier thread (regarding PD 14) that "You CAN alter the presets through a simple ini file "hack" procedure, though.". I have looked around extensively to find out how to do that and all links / info seems to have been removed. Can someone point in the direction where I can find out how to "hack" the aspect ratio in PD 16?

Thanks

The easiest way to get a produced video in a wide aspect ratio with no black bars is to go ahead and edit the video and produce it just as it is described up above. After you produce the video, it will have black bars. However, you can use a free video converter called handbrake (www.handbrake.fr) to remove the black bars.

This is what I do, personally. It also cuts down on the file size by getting rid of the black bars, but it keeps the quality pretty high if you keep the quality setting < 20 RF.

After using handbrake, I think you will get the result that you want. It is much easier to use handbrake than to edit the hidden profile setting files in PD.
[Post New]
The easiest way to get a produced video in a wide aspect ratio with no black bars is to go ahead and edit the video and produce it just as it is described up above. After you produce the video, it will have black bars. However, you can use a free video converter called handbrake (www.handbrake.fr) to remove the black bars.

This is what I do, personally. It also cuts down on the file size by getting rid of the black bars, but it keeps the quality pretty high if you keep the quality setting < 20 RF.

After using handbrake, I think you will get the result that you want. It is much easier to use handbrake than to edit the hidden profile setting files in PD.

Thanks Kevin, thats a useful insight / work-around. Its not ideal in that it adds significant time to the workflow and would reduce some of the quality due to one extra rendering, so I really hope cyberlink sees the expansion of available aspect ratios as a priority. But, your method is still better than keeping the bars as actual pixels in the final output.

In your video you link to the "cinematic' object in the cyberlink website but it doesn't download the object for me (only the web page that links to the object)... am I doing something wrong?

What do you mean by <20f (sorry noobie question)

I have downloaded handbreak and it looks good, but I can't immediately see how to get rid of the black bars. Have you done a video specifically on getting rid of the bars in handbreak?

Thanks!