Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 15 Paint Designer - background
Joe Curmudgeon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2017 23:57 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I've been trying to get the Paint Designer feature "Show current timeline image as background" to work but the option is always greyed out. I've followed the instruction manual and also watched and tried to duplicate the PD University Paint Design Tutorial but it's always the same.

Does anyone have a solution to this?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Joe -

If you have an image in the timeline, with the timeline marker somewhere "on it", you should get the option to show the background image.

See the attached screenshot.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Paint Designer.png]
 Filename
Paint Designer.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
220 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
59 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Joe Curmudgeon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Joe -

If you have an image in the timeline, with the timeline marker somewhere "on it", you should get the option to show the background image.

See the attached screenshot.

Cheers - Tony

Tony - Thanks for the response...

I argree. It should give me the option, but it doesn't.

I've attached three screenshots.

a) Just after I pulled down a the baloon.jpg. You'll note the timeline marker is on it.

b) Right after I clicked on the PiP room.

c) Right after I clicked on the drawing tool. Note the option to use current timeline image as background is greyed out.

The tutorials and everything I've seen indicate this should work. But, as you can see...

Is there some unwritten step I'm missing? Maybe something everyone just "naturally" does, but I'm missing because I'm a newbie?

Thanks,

J.T.
[Thumb - Balloon jpg pulled down.JPG]
 Filename
Balloon jpg pulled down.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
85 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Joe -

If that's what you're doing & that's what's happening, I can understand your confusion. From what you've posted you seem to be following all the right steps. There are no secret steps you're missing, though you didn't upload the other two screenshots.

Just to confirm, are you doing exactly what's shown in this screen capture? (it sounds like you are!)

If you are, then I cannot think of any explanation.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Joe Curmudgeon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Joe -

If that's what you're doing & that's what's happening, I can understand your confusion. From what you've posted you seem to be following all the right steps. There are no secret steps you're missing, though you didn't upload the other two screenshots.

Just to confirm, are you doing exactly what's shown in this screen capture? (it sounds like you are!)

If you are, then I cannot think of any explanation.

Cheers - Tony

Yes. I tried to follow each step exactly. Hm. I have to be doing something wrong, otherwise other people would be affected. I'll keep chasing it.

Oh, Lord, I pray that I will not be the first person to encounter a bug...

Thanks,

J.T.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Learn something new everyday! I've never seen this option before but I like the way it works.

I take it the idea is to display the image purely as a guide whilst you are drawing something that will later be overlaid on it. If that's the case then it works perfectly for me smile.
Joe Curmudgeon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Learn something new everyday! I've never seen this option before but I like the way it works.

I take it the idea is to display the image purely as a guide whilst you are drawing something that will later be overlaid on it. If that's the case then it works perfectly for me smile.

Yes, that's exactly what it's for. It just helps create the overlay. But it won't work for me.

AAAGGHHH...

J.T.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
As Tony mentioned, you didn't upload the other 2x screenshots. Perhaps they'll cast more light on what's happening.
Joe Curmudgeon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As Tony mentioned, you didn't upload the other 2x screenshots. Perhaps they'll cast more light on what's happening.

Thought I'd close the loop on this one.

I downloaded the latest patch and it fixed the problem. The patch documentation didn't say anything about this situation, but it fixed it.

Thanks for your help snd attention.

J.T.