Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Canon 80D Medium Raw images
Nestus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 12, 2013 05:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
The 80D has 3 settings in Raw format. Raw..Medium-Raw and Small-Raw. I took a few Raw images in all 3 different Raw settings. THE Medium Raw photos display perfectly on the camera viewer. When I open those Medium Raw images on my PC using PD8 is was all weird (as if sections shifted around). See the attached image.

This photo displays correctly in all other image software (Canon Pro, Windows Viewer).

Hope I can get some advice in solving this problem.

Thx

Nestus
 Filename
IMG_6094.CR2
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
19393 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
141 time(s)
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The 80D has 3 settings in Raw format. Raw..Medium-Raw and Small-Raw. I took a few Raw images in all 3 different Raw settings. THE Medium Raw photos display perfectly on the camera viewer. When I open those Medium Raw images on my PC using PD8 is was all weird (as if sections shifted around). See the attached image.

This photo displays correctly in all other image software (Canon Pro, Windows Viewer).

Hope I can get some advice in solving this problem.

Thx

Nestus

How about uploading one of the Medium Raw images so we can play around with it?

Why are you shooting in that format (size lower resolution)?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2017 10:05

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Nestus [Avatar]
[Post New]
1. My original message include such a sample image.

2. I was just curious to understand the difference in image quality (if it could be seen obviously when magnified 100% in PD between the 24Mb(bigger) and 14Mb (Medium) size Raw images.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote 1. My original message include such a sample image.

2. I was just curious to understand the difference in image quality (if it could be seen obviously when magnified 100% in PD between the 24Mb(bigger) and 14Mb (Medium) size Raw images.

Your original post did not have the origianal image -- the Medium image untouched. Directly from the camera and transfered to your computer. Yes, it is large but so was what you alreaqdy posted.

What was posted was the blocky mixed up image that resulted in applying the image to the program.

Did the bigger RAW image (not mediaum) look OK in PhotoDirector?

I ask again, why would you consider the Medium images if you want the best quality? According to the literature, Canon says that they don't process the images; just remove a lot of pixels.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2017 14:22

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
[Post New]
Hello Nestus,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Yes, that's certainly concerning. The M-RAW image you attached displays in PhD8 exactly as you've described. Not only that, the resolution & aspect ratio is "scrambled".

In a number of other photo viewers/editors I tested, the image displays correctly at 4500x3000px. PhD8 sees it as 4032x3402! surprised RAW Image viewer scrambles it too & adds a pink tinge.

I was unable to find other M-RAW or S-RAW sample files to download & test. Could you please provide other samples? All the full RAW samples - 6000x4000 24MP - I checked display correctly.

We'll need to report this issue to CyberLink, so extra samples would assist. In the meantime (obviously) set your camera to the highest quality settings.

Personally, I would never opt to shoot in lower quality (2 of my cameras have similar options).

Some information about Canon RAW, M-RAW & S-RAW for anyone interested.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Nestus [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks for the response everybody.

Pix,

I will take a few sample pictures of the 3 different Raw settings and post them ASAP.

Nestus
Nestus [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Pix,

I am back at home after a business trip.

See the attached promised images of the different Raw, M-Raw and S-Raw taken with the Canon 80D.

Greetings

Nestus
 Filename
IMG_7522 M-Raw.CR2
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
18176 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
125 time(s)
 Filename
IMG_7520 S-Raw.CR2
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12656 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
122 time(s)
 Filename
IMG_7524 Raw.CR2
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26806 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
123 time(s)
stevek
[Post New]
The medium RAW is the on;ly one screwed up. It shows as blocks of the image. .
[Post New]
Hello Nestus,

Thank you for providing the raw sample photos.

I can confirm what you and Steve have both posted. The S-raw & Raw images display correctly, but the M-raw photo is misinterpreted by PhD8.

As noted earlier, the aspect ratio is shown as 4032x3402, even though it's actually 4500x3000, and the image is (hence) chopped into blocks & scrambled.

This issue will be reported to the development team at CL. with reference to this thread.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Nestus [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Pix

Thx for your response and effort to solve this problem by forwarding it to CL.

In the meantime I will (as always) take pictures in the Raw large format.

Greetings

Nestus