Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4k MP4 input, what will the output be?
Johnc1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Nov 10, 2012 11:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Excuse me if this is a basic question with an obvious answer. I recorded my video in 4k MP4 and capture by PowerDirector 15 didn't work. The video was therefore transferred to my PC and editing is now in progress.

When I get to the end of editing and want to finalise the video, will I be able to get 4k? I have a 4k LG OLED TV, that's why I'm keen on this.

Again, I'm new at this video editing and haven't information on the subject (I downloaded PD15 and haven't a manual) - rather than searching the internet I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks for any information.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
For some reason this reply was sent before I had finished typing! Perhaps it is down to the fact that I have got sausages for fingers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2017 13:38

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It will be nothing. Tell me what software captures in 4k. You have already been given that answer. You must determine what it should be. This is a forum of users. The manual is located here for you to download: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/user_guide/powerdirector/15PDR/PowerDirector_UG_ENU.pdf . Be sure to save a copy to your hard drive.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Excuse me if this is a basic question with an obvious answer. I recorded my video in 4k MP4 and capture by PowerDirector 15 didn't work. The video was therefore transferred to my PC and editing is now in progress.

When I get to the end of editing and want to finalise the video, will I be able to get 4k? I have a 4k LG OLED TV, that's why I'm keen on this.

Again, I'm new at this video editing and haven't information on the subject (I downloaded PD15 and haven't a manual) - rather than searching the internet I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks for any information.

Hi John

When you have finished your edit go to the produce page. Selectect H264 then just below it will have M2TS click there and MP4 will appear, select MP4. Then under profile name select 3840x2160 and whatever your frame rate is. Under the preview screen select your output folder - press start and you film will be produced as 4K. To view on your TV, if your TV has USB, make your output folder an external drive with USB connection.

I hope this helps you

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2017 13:34

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Johnc1 - First of all, I don't think you've properly understood the replies to your previous post. Your camera has already done the job of capturing your video and stored a finished product. There was never any need to capture it again with PowerDirector indeed it may well have had detrimental effects. It's a bit like buying a piece of furniture, knocking it all apart and then sticking it back together again.

You are now working on that finished product by selecting the parts that you want to keep (editing) and when you finally get around to producing your edited video, you have the option of specifying the file type and resolution that you want.

A lot depends on how powerful your computer is but as far as PowerDirector goes, you can output the file in 4K if you wish. Rendering 4K to HD resolution can sometimes be very beneficial, it's what I do myself and to be honest on my TV 4K video rendered to 1920x1080 is very good and virtually the same as the same video in 4K. The file size is much smaller and it's more useful as I can pass it on to others knowing there will be no problems. At the end of the day it's your choice but the option is there either way.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Perhaps it is down to the fact that I have got sausages for fingers.

Longedge -

For a chap who has "sausages for fingers", everything else seems to be functioning well! Nice furniture analogy about capturing

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Johnc1 - First of all, I don't think you've properly understood the replies to your previous post. Your camera has already done the job of capturing your video and stored a finished product. There was never any need to capture it again with PowerDirector indeed it may well have had detrimental effects. It's a bit like buying a piece of furniture, knocking it all apart and then sticking it back together again.

You are now working on that finished product by selecting the parts that you want to keep (editing) and when you finally get around to producing your edited video, you have the option of specifying the file type and resolution that you want.

A lot depends on how powerful your computer is but as far as PowerDirector goes, you can output the file in 4K if you wish. Rendering 4K to HD resolution can sometimes be very beneficial, it's what I do myself and to be honest on my TV 4K video rendered to 1920x1080 is very good and virtually the same as the same video in 4K. The file size is much smaller and it's more useful as I can pass it on to others knowing there will be no problems. At the end of the day it's your choice but the option is there either way.

Longedge

I f one has the equipment, like a 4K tv and a camera to match, it would be a shame not take advantage of it. I love it, and you can see a difference.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I f one has the equipment, like a 4K tv and a camera to match, it would be a shame not take advantage of it. I love it, and you can see a difference.
I agree - a huge difference. I recently upgraded to the LG OLED55C6P and the matching 4K 3D Bluray player.

Now if PD16 could support 4K Bluray burning and HDR! Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
I won't disagree that there is a visible difference between 4K and HD if everything else is working as it should.

My first 4K TV went back because, although it had 4 USB ports only 1 of them was available to play back 4K content and then only in a very 'flaky' way. It also refused to stream any video off my network. I got nearly £100 refund and bought a Sony instead and that plays back 4K very reliably.

If your source material is good quality, well exposed and focused (that's a whole different story) then once again, I agree. At the moment my source material, whilst it is in 4K looks just as good if not better rendered to HD. My eyesight is no longer what it used to be in fact that goes for my hearing as well. When it comes to appreciating the look and sound of things I've been left in no doubt by friends and family that my preferences are not the norm. My assessment of the final results that I achieve is, I admit, very subjective.

Although file sizes are no longer as important as they used to be and as I said, the smaller files are a consideration for me.

Oh alright - Go on then - 4K is better than UHD laughing.
Johnc1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Nov 10, 2012 11:41 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I've got a good grip of all this now (I think and hope!) and I find it very interesting. Though I consider myself new to editing etc I have done a very little before, hence the join date of 2012. I hardly participated then.

My editing is progressing well and when I've finished I'll render to 4k as I think there is a considerable difference. I know that the camera I use is good (Panasonic HC-VX870).

My PC shouldn't face much of a problem in rendering as its quite powerful and well maintained.

Thankyou everyone who kindly took the time to advise me, it's really appreciated. Sorry if the basic questions were a bit, er, basic.