Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to make a USB Key with menus (like a BD)
brunodub011 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2014 05:03 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Forum,

Iam editing my personal videos using PD15 (of course otherwise, I would have nothing to do here). When done, I am producing Blu-Ray disc, with menus, music....

I am going to buy a 4K UHD camera. As I have not found PC UHD burner, I will have to find another solution. One could be to use a USB key.

My question is : Can I do a complete project like I would do for a BD and then target the USB key instead the BD burner and then have a 4K UHD film readable on my UHD TV.

Thank you in advance,

Bruno

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 28. 2017 13:40

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote As I have not found PC UHD burner,Bruno
There are several 4K UHD burners - Pioneer, Phillips and LG (BDXL triple/Quad layer). However, only a few will read the odd 66GB of commercial 4K Bluray discs. Recently purchased 4k TV so will be in the market for 4K burner in the future. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
brunodub011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As I have not found PC UHD burner,Bruno
There are several 4K UHD burners - Pioneer, Phillips and LG (BDXL triple/Quad layer). However, only a few will read the odd 66GB of commercial 4K Bluray discs. Recently purchased 4k TV so will be in the market for 4K burner in the future.

Hi GGRussell, Thank you for this information.

It seems that these new burners requires strong systems. I change my PC for a new KAby Lake i7 with a new ASUS card and 16go memory.

For the main topic, it does not seem possible to do editing with real menus without burning a physical disc.

I will continue to investigate.

Have a nice Sunday,

Bruno
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I don't have a BluRay Player but I do play 4K footage on my TV from a USB stick. There is no menu but I use my TV remote to navigate when there are mutliple files. Not what you want I know but it is a way forward with your current equipment smile
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
For the main topic, it does not seem possible to do editing with real menus without burning a physical disc.
Should be able to burn to a folder and then copy that folder to a USB drive. Whether or not you see the menu would be up to the software you use to view it. I've used this method many times with DVD to make sure the menus works correctly. See no reason why it wouldn't work with Bluray. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
brunodub011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Should be able to burn to a folder and then copy that folder to a USB drive. Whether or not you see the menu would be up to the software you use to view it. I've used this method many times with DVD to make sure the menus works correctly. See no reason why it wouldn't work with Bluray.

Thanks a lot,

I used PD15 to make the file/folder with all the files.

I am using PowerDVD to read it but this does not work. As I said there is no "master" file to direct to so the soft can read the files.

I would be more than happy to learn from you and try a tep by step from the burn step from PD15 to the readable USB key on the TV . Let me know if you want me to send you sreen captures of my different steps.

Thank you so much for your support and help.

Kind Regards,

Bruno

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2019 04:08

GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll have to try this with BD folder later today when I have some free time. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
BD content with menus on a usb drive works well. There is no 4k BD consumer authoring software made today.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 30. 2017 13:11

brunodub011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote BD content with menus on a usb drive works well. There is no 4k BD consumer authoring software made today.

Thank you so much,

But I am still lost with how to do this famous folder either on computer or USB Key. If this is not feasabl, tehn I will wait and see

Thanks for your input

Bruno
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is easy to do. Choose avchd/memory stick or burn the blu-ray to a folder and copy it to a usb stick.
brunodub011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That is easy to do. Choose avchd/memory stick or burn the blu-ray to a folder and copy it to a usb stick.

Hi Tomasc,

This is exactly what I did, but as I mention, there is no "usable" file in the folder. I will however try to copy the folder to a USB key and see what happens.

Thank you,

Have a nice day,

Bruno
Starfungi1943 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wollongong NSW Australia Joined: May 27, 2012 02:28 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]

Hi Tomasc,

This is exactly what I did, but as I mention, there is no "usable" file in the folder. I will however try to copy the folder to a USB key and see what happens.

Thank you,

Have a nice day,

Bruno

Have you found a way to produce a series of MP4 files via a PD menu system on a USB?
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is an update to my earlier reply 3 years ago to the OP. The price of a usb flash drive has declined over the years. I have found that multiple avchd folders can be created on a higher capacity flash drive. Simply rename the previously created root AVCHD folder to something else and create the next avchd folder. Repeat until the flash drive is filled if you want. There is no restriction in the folder size. One may be 4 GB, the next 52 GB, etc. These work great in my Sony standalone BD player usb connection. I can select which to play, like having a carousel of many Blu-ray discs and having menus and chapters/titles on each selection.

My avchd authoring and BD authoring folders has been 1080/60p avchd 2.0. This may not work for users that do not have the Sony brand higher end players. They definitely don’t work on an early Sony BD player with S-video connection or the older or the cheaper lower end brand players tested.

This all works on BD folders and avchd folders created and played on my HTPC with PowerDVD and with VLC.
Starfungi1943 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wollongong NSW Australia Joined: May 27, 2012 02:28 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This is an update to my earlier reply 3 years ago to the OP. The price of a usb flash drive has declined over the years. I have found that multiple avchd folders can be created on a higher capacity flash drive. Simply rename the previously created root AVCHD folder to something else and create the next avchd folder. Repeat until the flash drive is filled if you want. There is no restriction in the folder size. One may be 4 GB, the next 52 GB, etc. These work great in my Sony standalone BD player usb connection. I can select which to play, like having a carousel of many Blu-ray discs and having menus and chapters/titles on each selection.

My avchd authoring and BD authoring folders has been 1080/60p avchd 2.0. This may not work for users that do not have the Sony brand higher end players. They definitely don’t work on an early Sony BD player with S-video connection or the older or the cheaper lower end brand players tested.

This all works on BD folders and avchd folders created and played on my HTPC with PowerDVD and with VLC.

I have tried on my LG BD player but doesn't recognise the folders. I must go to Harvey Norman and try a few players. Thanks for the update.
Epioblasma [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2020 18:48 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm working with Powerdirector 17, trying to create a disk to a memory stick. I's been burning for three hours now and has been stuck at 31% for the last 2 hours. The progress popup says there is one second remaining, but that has been the saem for over two hours now. I can't find a tutorial that actually covers how to use the create disk tab to burn a video to a memory stick or thumbdrive.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2022 20:48