Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to crop a video with PD 15?
emmettfitz8394
Newbie Location: USA Joined: Aug 11, 2013 13:14 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know how to crop a video without zooming? I have a video where I used a portable backdrop and I want to crop the sides so as not to show the furniture in the room. I go to tools and I find crop and zoom. It seems a simple crop can not be done in this program without zooming? Hopefully I am missing something.

Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Try this: Open PiP designer/Mask and choose a rectangle. Uncheck maintain aspect ratio. Move the white balls on the sides of the mask inward or outward to mask out the furniture. Click Save.
emmettfitz8394
[Post New]
Quote Try this: Open PiP designer/Mask and choose a rectangle. Uncheck maintain aspect ratio. Move the white balls on the sides of the mask inward or outward to mask out the furniture. Click Save.

Very cool! Thanks...
emmettfitz8394
[Post New]
Quote Try this: Open PiP designer/Mask and choose a rectangle. Uncheck maintain aspect ratio. Move the white balls on the sides of the mask inward or outward to mask out the furniture. Click Save.

That works but it's a lot of steps. In my research I see other videos about Croping with PD 15 and the Crop icon is sbove the timeline but not in my PD 15. I tried to right click on the timeline and I see edit video, when I go there the CROP option is grayed out. Any idea why I do not have the crop option above my timeline? Why do other PD 15 usres have it and not me?

Thanks, Bob
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I haven’t seen any of those videos that you are talking about. The crop icon or button is there above the timeline only if you highlight an image or photo on the timeline to do a crop and zoom. Right mouse click on an image or photo on the timeline and the crop image… will not be grayed out but active. They don’t work on videos.
Seanpr123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2017 14:08 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Gotta say I agree, where is a simple crop option?

I see two ways to accomplish, both with negatives.

There's the Power Tool crop and zoom tool, which (for me anyway) requires some form of zooming. There seems to be no way to just crop unless you can select exactly the same background.. Or you can do the PiP as mentioned, but you can't actually see the 'in video' screen behind your clip. So if I want to zoom way in on a clip, I have no idea how it's centered in the output without a lot of trial and error.

Am I missing anything?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
You can crop without any zoom. All you need to do is make the first and last crop keyframes the same.

This video was made in an older version of PDR, so the GUI is different from PDR15.

... and you're right Seanpr123 - to crop a video, go to Tools > Power Tools > Crop & Zoom

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2017 01:58

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
emmettfitz8394
[Post New]
I think the answer is this. One step crop where the crop option appears above the timeline is only for still photos!! Not for video. Unlike Sony Movie studio 13 where you can just right click on video in the timeline to crop/pan, in PD 15 to just crop video you need to open Pip designer/mask, choose rectamgle and uncheck maintain aspect ratio.
Seanpr123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2017 14:08 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You can crop without any zoom. All you need to do is make the first and last crop keyframes the same.

Cheers - Tony

Ahh that helps Tony, I never saw the duplicate last keyframe option, or realized it's design so thats helpful.

Thanks!