Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Background removal tool
Technology [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2017 20:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello!

I was able to get my product key issue resolved, however, the issue I'm having now is to remove an unwanted item in the background of a picture, which is not included in your "Tutorials" section, and when I went to You Tube, it was either an older version, or adding a photo in, then removing the background. Would it help if I posted a pic and explained what I'm trying to do?
[Post New]
Hello Technology,

Glad to hear your other issue is resolved.

It sounds like you're not trying to remove the whole background, but rather "get rid of" a particular item in the photo. If that's the case, you don't need the Background Removal Tool. You need the Content Aware Removal tool. PhD's Smart Patch may also meet your requirements. There are some some screenshots attached showing the removal of an object.

This tutorial is using an older version, but the process is still the same

... and here's a bit of fun I had with Content Aware Removal a few years back.

PIX
[Thumb - PhD_ContAwRem2.png]
 Filename
PhD_ContAwRem2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
588 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)
[Thumb - PhD_ContAwRem1.png]
 Filename
PhD_ContAwRem1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
590 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
54 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
Technology [Avatar]
[Post New]
I followed the steps (so I thought) that the video showed, but I had to try several times for it to remove the unwanted item, but it did not automatically fill it in. Did I do something wrong, and what can I do fix what I started?
[Thumb - IMG_2019a.jpg]
 Filename
IMG_2019a.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
949 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
56 time(s)
[Thumb - IMG_2019a-1.png]
 Filename
IMG_2019a-1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7573 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
39 time(s)
Technology [Avatar]
[Post New]
I meant to add this pic as the second one!
[Thumb - IMG_2019a-1b.png]
 Filename
IMG_2019a-1b.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14955 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)
[Post New]
I see you've made some progress.

Before seeing your latest image, I made a short screen capture showing the use of the Content Aware Removal tool. Your first image - IMG_2019a-1.png - was done using the Background Removal tool, I think.

Removing the chair on the right is easy (shown in screen capture). Removing the other chairs is a bit more challenging.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Technology [Avatar]
[Post New]
The chair on the right, and the partial one next to it were the main ones I was wanting to remove. I may even remove the trim on the left altogether, as opposed to trying to add it and center it just right on the other side (where the chair is).

I see you've made some progress.

Before seeing your latest image, I made a short screen capture showing the use of the Content Aware Removal tool. Your first image - IMG_2019a-1.png - was done using the Background Removal tool, I think.

Removing the chair on the right is easy (shown in screen capture). Removing the other chairs is a bit more challenging.

PIX
websiteee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 27, 2017 08:22 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Background removal tools:

1. Befunky

2. Picmonkey

3. Photoeditor
PIX
Senior Contributor Joined: Sep 21, 2011 00:02 Messages: 2910 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Background removal tools:

1. Befunky

2. Picmonkey

3. Photoeditor

Hello websiteee,

I have not used any of the tools you've mentioned, so couldn't make any recommendations. You'd be aware that this forum is hosted by CyberLink, so posting about other software is not advised unless it has a feature lacking in PhotoDirector. In this case, PhD has the tools necessary to get the job done.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Technology [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I see you've made some progress.

I was able to remove it as shown in the video, but I'm a little concerned that it looks like it's been removed. Is there a way I can blend the background with the rest of the wall?