Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cropping 9:16 to 16:9 ?
See2Dee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 20, 2016 16:11 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to know if it is possible to crop out part of the top and bottom of a 9:16 cell phone video such that it become a 16:9 aspect ratio video (see first 2 attachments0?

Assuming this is possible, please can you take me step-by-step through the process. I have tried doing this using the Mask Designer tool, but when I produced the video, it played as a small image (see 3rd attachment).

Thanks
[Thumb - 9-16 to 16-9_b.jpg]
 Filename
9-16 to 16-9_b.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Cropped with Mask Designer
 Filesize
155 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)
[Thumb - 9-16 to 16-9_a.jpg]
 Filename
9-16 to 16-9_a.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
9:16 video
 Filesize
159 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)
[Thumb - 9-16 to 16-9_c.jpg]
 Filename
9-16 to 16-9_c.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
How the product looks
 Filesize
131 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Try this: On the preview screen of screenshot a move the left center white ball to the left edge by click and drag. Do the same with the center white ball on the right to move it to the right edge. Grab the center cross to drag it down slightly. You should have a full size 16:9 screen after this.
See2Dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Excellent, thanks. So simple, but the sequence in which I did things proved to be important, i.e. I had to ensure that the aspect ratio was set to 16:9 before dragging out the left and right edges. When I dragged the edges while the aspect ratio was set to 9:16, and then changed to 16:9, the image became highly magnified.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Excellent, thanks. So simple, but the sequence in which I did things proved to be important, i.e. I had to ensure that the aspect ratio was set to 16:9 before dragging out the left and right edges. When I dragged the edges while the aspect ratio was set to 9:16, and then changed to 16:9, the image became highly magnified.

Glad to have been of help. The screenshots were cropped to where the aspect ratio settings on top left do not show. Had expected full screenshots but took a guess that you would figure it out somehow if the aspect ratio were incorrect. A full screenshot would allow the contributor the needed information the first time without having to ask and the user to receive all needed information the first time too. Maybe would have save some time.
See2Dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Point taken Thanks again