Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A video using Theme Designer – doesn’t play smoothly
[Post New]
Hi,

I’ve created a video which includes several different Theme Designer templates (which by the way are really great!). When I render the video the parts made with the Theme Designer are no playing smoothly (they look jumpy). The rest of the video looks OK.

Do you have any suggestions?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi orensela -

I can't exactly replicate your stated problem, but there are some inconsistencies that show up when using a mixed timeline like that (i.e. a combination of Theme Designer templates and your own clips and images inserted separately). The "inconsistencies" occur depending on which particular TD templates you've applied.

As an example, in testing your issue I imported a number of UHD & 1920x1080 clips with video bitrates of ~60Mbps, plus a bunch of 24MP photos. I chose the UHD clips with higher VBR because I thought it might illuminate your issue. After assembling a mixed project using 3 different TD templates, I produced to AVC H.264 MP4 1920x1080 @ 25Mbps.

You're right - all the non-TD sections looked crisp & clean, but the TD sections did not always measure up. They did, howver play back smoothly.

I determined that the video clips embedded in some templates caused the PQ issues... they're 1280x720 8Mbps WMVs(!) sitting right beside glorious UHD clips played at full screen. I'm particularly referring the the "Beach" template here. In the TD templates without any embedded video clips, PQ was equivalent.

What TD templates did you use? What are the properties of your imported video clips? That information may help to lead to a resolution.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 19. 2017 20:39

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for the efforts and replay.

I used several different TD templates:Action, Film strip (with transitions), Notebook (with transitions), Voyage of discovery 2.0. Most of the materials I inserted in those templates were photos (JPG). The most significant disruption is with the TD internal transitions.

What do you think are the most appropriate definitions I should choose when using TD templates?

Thanks,

Oren

Quote Hi orensela -

I can't exactly replicate your stated problem, but there are some inconsistencies that show up when using a mixed timeline like that (i.e. a combination of Theme Designer templates and your own clips and images inserted separately). The "inconsistencies" occur depending on which particular TD templates you've applied.

As an example, in testing your issue I imported a number of UHD & 1920x1080 clips with video bitrates of ~60Mbps, plus a bunch of 24MP photos. I chose the UHD clips with higher VBR because I thought it might illuminate your issue. After assembling a mixed project using 3 different TD templates, I produced to AVC H.264 MP4 1920x1080 @ 25Mbps.

You're right - all the non-TD sections looked crisp & clean, but the TD sections did not always measure up. They did, howver play back smoothly.

I determined that the video clips embedded in some templates caused the PQ issues... they're 1280x720 8Mbps WMVs(!) sitting right beside glorious UHD clips played at full screen. I'm particularly referring the the "Beach" template here. In the TD templates without any embedded video clips, PQ was equivalent.

What TD templates did you use? What are the properties of your imported video clips? That information may help to lead to a resolution.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again Oren -

I was barking up the wrong tree completely in my previous post (even though the PQ mismatch could be an issue for some).

Having now tested the TD templates you've used, I think I see what you mean when you say "They look jumpy". I see the same thing here, even in a 1920x1080 MP4 & 25Mbps produced file.

I don't think the judders are generated by the transitions, but rather the motion that's applied in some of the templates... e.g. when panning across pages in "Notebook" & "Discovery", most noticeably when the speed of the pan shifts, and predominantly with edges of frames.

Does that sound like what you mean? If so, I can't think of a way around it... but I'll check out whether applying speed changes alleviates the problem.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Yes, your diagnosis was accurate. Sorry if I mislead you.

Thank you so much for helping me.

Oren

Quote Hi again Oren -

I was barking up the wrong tree completely in my previous post (even though the PQ mismatch could be an issue for some).

Having now tested the TD templates you've used, I think I see what you mean when you say "They look jumpy". I see the same thing here, even in a 1920x1080 MP4 & 25Mbps produced file.

I don't think the judders are generated by the transitions, but rather the motion that's applied in some of the templates... e.g. when panning across pages in "Notebook" & "Discovery", most noticeably when the speed of the pan shifts, and predominantly with edges of frames.

Does that sound like what you mean? If so, I can't think of a way around it... but I'll check out whether applying speed changes alleviates the problem.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Oren -

I made a little sampler using every available Theme Designer template, with a view to checking out which templates exhibited similar "jumpiness".

It's trye that YouTube isn't the best way to assess, but it does show which templates are more prone to jerky motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clcn2LyYuRQ

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

The video sample you have created looks great! I hope that my outcome will also move so smoothly.

Thank you once again for support and hard work.

Oren

Quote Hi Oren -

I made a little sampler using every available Theme Designer template, with a view to checking out which templates exhibited similar "jumpiness".

It's trye that YouTube isn't the best way to assess, but it does show which templates are more prone to jerky motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clcn2LyYuRQ

Cheers - Tony