Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trouble adding multiple PDS files to the Library in PD14
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I have about 40 MPEG2 files I created from Mini-DV tapes. For each file, I manually added and tagged scenes and then saved a PDS file for each corresponding MPEG2 file. Now, if I open PD14, I can add a PDS file to my Library and can then put scenes from that file into the timeline and do edits.

The problem is, if I add a second PDS file to the Library, the existing timeline scenes and edits get deleted as soon as I add (merge) the second PDS file to the Library. If I add in all of the PDS files at once, there is not a problem. But additing PDS files later to the Library after I have already put scenes in the timeline makes the timeline scenes and edits go away.

In summary, I would like to be able to add multiple PDS files to the library at any time without without affecting the existing scenes and edits already in the timeline. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Tim
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think you can. A pds file is a PROJECT files and you are trying to edit two project files at once. MY suggestion is that you should output the project to a video file and work from there.

I don;t know why you can add all of them at once without the program crashing.

I have not tried editing more than one project file at once so perhaps someone who has will give you a different answer. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have about 40 MPEG2 files I created from Mini-DV tapes. For each file, I manually added and tagged scenes and then saved a PDS file for each corresponding MPEG2 file. Now, if I open PD14, I can add a PDS file to my Library and can then put scenes from that file into the timeline and do edits.

The problem is, if I add a second PDS file to the Library, the existing timeline scenes and edits get deleted as soon as I add (merge) the second PDS file to the Library. If I add in all of the PDS files at once, there is not a problem. But additing PDS files later to the Library after I have already put scenes in the timeline makes the timeline scenes and edits go away.

In summary, I would like to be able to add multiple PDS files to the library at any time without without affecting the existing scenes and edits already in the timeline. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

You can combine several projcets, PDS files, this way:

Open project1, mark the hole project by draging the yellow square next to the marker (see attachment), click on copy.

In 'File' menu choose open project eg. project2 - now yoy will se a message box: 'Wouold you like to....' clilck Yes.

When project2 opens place the marker where you want to insert project1 and click Paste (see attachment).

Save the project under a new name eg. 'combined project'

Open project3, mark the hole project by draging the yellow square next to the marker, click on copy.

In 'File' menu choose open project 'combined project'

Yes to merge and place the marker where you want to insert project3

Continue the way until you have all your projects in one PDS file.

Good luck, Anja
[Thumb - P1-P2 combine.jpg]
 Filename
P1-P2 combine.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
combine projects
 Filesize
221 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
58 time(s)
TimBikes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't think you can. A pds file is a PROJECT files and you are trying to edit two project files at once. MY suggestion is that you should output the project to a video file and work from there.

I don;t know why you can add all of them at once without the program crashing.

I have not tried editing more than one project file at once so perhaps someone who has will give you a different answer.

Hi Steve - thanks for your reply. Actually it is interesting - you can edit multiple project files at once. I noticed that I could not use the "import" function to put a PDS file in the Library but I could drag and drop the PDS file into the Library. Again, it is just when I had already put scenes from the PDS file onto the timeline and made edits, that it became a problem to later add multiple PDS files to the Library. Otherwise, I can add as many PDS files as I want (apparently). Yesterday I did a small project where I dragged 3-4 PDS files into the Library then used scenes from each on the timeline.

Thanks again,

Tim

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 12. 2017 15:34

TimBikes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have about 40 MPEG2 files I created from Mini-DV tapes. For each file, I manually added and tagged scenes and then saved a PDS file for each corresponding MPEG2 file. Now, if I open PD14, I can add a PDS file to my Library and can then put scenes from that file into the timeline and do edits.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

You can combine several projcets, PDS files, this way:

Open project1, mark the hole project by draging the yellow square next to the marker (see attachment), click on copy.

In 'File' menu choose open project eg. project2 - now yoy will se a message box: 'Wouold you like to....' clilck Yes.

When project2 opens place the marker where you want to insert project1 and click Paste (see attachment).

Save the project under a new name eg. 'combined project'

Open project3, mark the hole project by draging the yellow square next to the marker, click on copy.

In 'File' menu choose open project 'combined project'

Yes to merge and place the marker where you want to insert project3

Continue the way until you have all your projects in one PDS file.

Good luck, Anja

Hi Anja. I appreciate the response. I think I understand what you are saying and will give it a try on my PC at home tonight. I think it will work, but seems a bit more complicated that I think it needs to be...

...It seems that since PD allows PDS files to be added to the Library - and then scenes from that file can pulled onto the timeline - it should support a user later adding more PDS files to the Library without disrupting timeline edits alreadyon the first PDS file. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Tim