Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Installation of 617MB PD7 Deluxe download (build 2521) after purchasing it through trial version
sky [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2009 19:12 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I went ahead and purchased PD7 Deluxe from the trial version initial screen (“buy” button) which opened an IE window, so I went ahead and got that thingy with the holiday bonus stuff (o yeahh). I was under the impression that it’s a simple activation of the 245MB trial (btw, build 7.0.2521) I had already downloaded. But no, the Digitalriver store forces me to download another full 617MB monster (why??), on top of the bonus download. No “trial activation package” or activation code that I read about elsewhere. Reading through the forum posts it seems uninstall/reinstall is particularly dicey with Vista x64 (that I have on my system). What is the recommended procedure?

1) Install the 617MB thing (btw, this one is now build 7.0.2521) over the trial?
2) Or uninstall the trial first (with the trial unistaller or from Win control panel?)?? I hate to start fixing my registry later. Cyberlink really needs to get these things better documented.

Also, I am wondering whether this will result in installing a previous build (2519) vs the trial build (2521) that worked reasonably well with the latest Nvidia driver (181.22; btw, CUDA acceleration does not work with the 177.83 driver).

Thanks.
sky [Avatar]
[Post New]
Build mixup. The trial is build 2521, the full (paid for) download is build 2519.
[Post New]
Recommended procedure is to uninstall the trial.

After uninstalling the trial do a disk cleanup and a registry cleanup (latter is necessary to remove ALL remaining references to the trial version, otherwise you will have problems with the purchased version).

Easy disk clean and registry clean: Google for Wise Registry Cleaner and download both their free disk cleaner and registry cleaner. These both run fast and do a good job. Also a good idea to defrag at this point.

Now install the purchased version which should be the latest full tested version released. The patch to 2521 (if your purchased version is earlier) should be released within a few days once the "guinea pig" early recievers report it runs with no real issues. And the patch is usually a much shorter download than the 617MB "monster" you mention.

But the trial must be uninstalled first, and the registry MUST be cleaned (sorry 'bout that, but others before us have learned that the HARD way).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2009 22:53

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART C

Please look through the url I've given. There are a number of useful simple tips.

Dafydd
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
I have always felt that once the activation key is received the trial pack should update to a full version. There are numerous posts where the user is unable to download all 617 MB full version due link failure, aborted downloads.
It is really a painful exercise.

Again uninstalling PD7 trial version leaves file residue which if not cleaned thoroughly hampers smooth installation of full version.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2009 10:40

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Okay 2519 patch is available for download !
The MP4 problem is resolved . Kudos PD team. Well done !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2009 10:28

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

sky [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks all for your input on this issue. Meanwhile, I have gone the trial activation pack route since this is what tech support recommended (see also: Dafydd’s post, section T). To all lost souls, experiencing a similar delight, here is what I did (experience reported here is with Vista x64):

1) Contact Cyberlink tech support, requesting the trial activation pack (you need to send them proof of purchase)
2) Upon downloading the file “PDR_Trial_Pack.exe” from the link provided in the support mail (a 378 MB download) I followed
3) the Cyberlink instructions, that say “run the file to install software”, so I right-clicked, run as admin (just in case), which results in a rather confusing message thereafter “Warning: please install the trial pack” which I guess meant to now activate/upgrade the PD7 trial to the full version
4) So I right-clicked-run as admin PD7-activate and entered the key
5) PD7 asked for the trial activation pack (see above)- locate it on your drive
6) Voila- PD7 confirms it has upgraded to the PD7 Deluxe version (help-about confirms it is now version 7.0.2521, which I guess makes me a 2521 guinea pig). So far, I have not messed with registry entries (this is something that should not be part of a commercial product’s installation process, come on!), and hope that I do not have to do so.

One caveat though: Somewhere I read that it might be a good idea to disable UAC before installation, so I did. When I put it back on, I got a BSOD (illegal page fault), Vista kindly suggested an immediate startup repair and found the root cause and suggested to go back to an earlier restore point (which I declined): Bugcheck 50 (UAC related or PD7, who knows...). O well. So far everything seems to work, I had one PD7 crash in between, but so far, so good.

Bif reply: One more word to the versions/patch business: The full download “monster’ is build 2519 (the same as the patch that just came out), which I’ll keep if I have to reinstall the OS. Have not seen a 2521 patch yet, so I guess the trial folks are “early receivers”?

And: For the folks who are hoping PD7 is speeding up transcoding dramatically using CUDA: It does not. Transcoding a 1080p .mov to MPEG-4 mts is taking about 2x realtime on a quad-core w/ 8800GT GPU (80% load on all 4 cores tells the story).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 14. 2009 04:01

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Newbie who posted here:

Please amend your Profile to display a (fuller) contact name.
Your post(s) may be deleted if your profile remains unchanged.
Dafydd
[Moderator]

UUNetBill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 31, 2009 13:37 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Moderator who deleted my posts:

How about some help instead of deleting my posts. I just spent $90 for a product I can't use, I'm waiting for e-mail support because I refuse to pay for phone support, and you delete my posts within a few hours. There was nothing inflammatory or out of line there, so what's with the deletions? Moderators should assist, not get angry people angrier.

Unbelievable. <sigh>
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there UU -

I don't know why your post was deleted... but I can tell you that Dafydd (moderator) is none of the above. NONE OF THE ABOVE.

It really doesn't help to go shooting from the lip (or the keyboard) like that. I know - you're cheesed off... just leave out the personal abuse or it'll get deleted again.

If I were you, whatever your problem is with PD7, I'd do a complete uninstall (with Windows Install Clean Up - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) - then reinstall the thing.

Have a lovely day -

Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
UUNetBill [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony - appreciate your response. Yes, you're correct - I'm cheesed off. I'm a member of numerous forums and I find them delightful, informative places to frequent. But in all the years I've been in forums, I have never - NEVER - had posts just deleted with little or no warning.

I was hoping to find some advice here, and if my post hadn't disappeared, you would have seen that I was unable to perform an uninstall for whatever reason - the uninstaller couldn't find setup.exe and just quit. I noticed from the posts I'd read here that this is not an uncommon problem. I'd guess that the problem is about 30% Vista and 70% CyberLink, give or take.

After about 4 hours of digging, scrubbing, deleting, reinstalling, etc. I think I finally have a clean enough installation to run. I know I've probably ruined my chances of ever being accepted here, and for that I'm sorry. I don't know what happened to my posts; all I know is that I left a post, came back about an hour later to find Dafydd's post, and mine were gone. Do the math. Cheesed off? You bet.

Shame, as these forums look like a valuable resource. Oh, well - life goes on.

Thanks for the reply.

BP <sigh>
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ...

Your post was anonymous - no name and as such you could not be contacted or allowed to add posts on the PD forum. I am not prepared to allow anonymous posts by anyone.

With your experience of forums I am surprised you posted here anonymously when you've trawled this forum.

Post correctly and others will answer. Post anonymously and you'll get deleted - simple.

Thank you Tony - I'm sure your actions corrected a situation.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 01. 2009 11:53

UUNetBill [Avatar]
[Post New]
And most forums restrict anonymous posts; this one apparently does not. I read posts, replied to posts, and could have easily read any replies that came later. I'd suggest not allowing anonymous posts at all - seems to be a better policy than a short notice deletion. Just my opinion, of course

To get back OT - I finally managed to eliminate whatever rogue registry entries were still preventing the uninstall/reinstall and FINALLY got what appears to be a working program. The MS registry cleaner finally managed the job for me. If any of the developers happen to read this, I'd like to request a more robust uninstall/install program. Obviously they know what keys halt the install; it shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate a basic registry scrubber, or at least have one available for download. . .again, just a thought. <sigh>
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Great! We've reached a point of agreement.
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!