Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Optimal settings for capturing with a Logitech C920 webcam?
Matt Gregory [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 11, 2016 22:44 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I need help. I'm trying to capture from a C920 webcam and the frame rate seems really low, much lower than 30fps, which is what the camera is supposed to be able to do.

It says 29.97fps when I look at the resulting .mpg file properties, but it can't possibly be that high. It looks more like 10fps.

I say this because I watch videos on YouTube that are not 60fps, so I think that means they're 30fps, and they seem much smoother than mine.

Can anyone advise me as to how to set up the parameters?

What is Rate Control and what is the difference between CBR and CVBR? What is the Average Bitrate and Maximum Bitrate? I have them set as high as I can, but they don't have any effect that I can see.

What is Advanced>Smoothing, Noise Removal, Frame Type, and Speed/Quality Indicator? What is the difference between Speed Mode and Quality Mode?

I've looked in the docs, but all it says is:

Quality Profile Setup

To set the file format and quality of the media you capture, click the Profile button. If this button is grayed out, that means that the original format and quality of the media is maintained, as set on the original media device (camcorder, etc.).The profile settings that are available depend on the capture device connected and the capture mode you have selected.

Yeah, gee, thanks.
[Post New]
I'm not going to attempt to answer most of what you asked, sorry.

I have seen the c920 struggle with keeping up with live 30fps 1080p before. You issue may not be with powerdirector.

You might want to test recording with the logitech webcam software to see if you get a better video out of it. This way, if there is issue, you know it's not powerdirector.

Are you shooting in a well lit room?

I know the c920 can't maintain framerate at all with the gain turned up too high. It may be because it's using a really low shutter speed at that point, which would reduce the FPS and cause what you are describing. My advice would be to take off the auto gain settings in the logitech webcam software, make sure gain isn't too high, and then preview the cam before recording to make sure it looks 30fps without frame loss.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Ignore

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2017 09:51

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Try pointing the webcam at a sunny window or a bright TV screen and check the recorded framerate to see if it is much better.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Matt -

I'm no authority on matters technical, but I have a Logitech C920 & can share my observations. I don't typically use it for capture via PDR.

The CBR & CVBR option in profile setting is Constant BitRate & Constrained Variable BitRate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate

Not sure why, but I get a more consistent frame rate using PDR's Capture than if I use the Logitech software. See attached MediaInfo reports.

Also attached is a screenshot of the profile settings I use. Again - no clue - but even when I set it to "Progressive" I still get interlaced... but not via the Logitech software.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - C920 Profile.png]
 Filename
C920 Profile.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
204 time(s)
[Thumb - C920 MediaInfo.png]
 Filename
C920 MediaInfo.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
70 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
122 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Matt Gregory [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not going to attempt to answer most of what you asked, sorry.

Quite alright!

Quote I have seen the c920 struggle with keeping up with live 30fps 1080p before. You issue may not be with powerdirector.

Fair enough. When a person is in the pitch dark, all they can really do is grope around blindly.

Quote You might want to test recording with the logitech webcam software to see if you get a better video out of it. This way, if there is issue, you know it's not powerdirector.

Yep, I'm getting the same results from the Logitech Quick Capture software.

Quote Are you shooting in a well lit room?

I know the c920 can't maintain framerate at all with the gain turned up too high. It may be because it's using a really low shutter speed at that point, which would reduce the FPS and cause what you are describing. My advice would be to take off the auto gain settings in the logitech webcam software, make sure gain isn't too high, and then preview the cam before recording to make sure it looks 30fps without frame loss.

No, I'm not! That makes perfect sense. A higher gain setting has extract the light from somewhere, and adding more time per frame is a simple way to get more exposure in a frame.

I actually have it pretty dark in here and the gain manually turned up to the max, so that is definitely a likely cause! I will give it another go again tomorrow, since I didn't have time today.

Thank you for the reply. It was very helpful. Even if it doesn't solve my problem, I will have learned something about Gain.
Matt Gregory [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, totally! That was it. When I turn the Exposure and Gain all the way down, the frame rate is amazing. Now I just have to find enough light. I ain't stupid, just ign'rnt. Thanks, you guys!
Jonny19 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2018 13:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This settings will lower a little the video sarpness
You have to use only manual settings by unceking the auto featurs
This settings will make the movment very close to real movement

1)Diactivate Write light
2)Put the EXPOSURE at the 3 step from left to write (the image will be more black then white) = aprox a quarter scale
3)GAIN max scale
4)Brightness near 3 quarters
5)Contrast 1 quarter
6)White balance 0
7)Auto-Focus to 0 , left side
The Auto-Focus will always go to auto when you open the settings , its a software deffect

And the 32 bit software seem to work a little better for performance in windows 7

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2018 14:15