Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Errors when trying to Make a DVD
Scott [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2009 22:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I keep trying to burn dvd's and I have gone through 4 dvd's so far where it starts to burn the disc and then pops up with an error. I even tried to burn a dvd to a folder like the website recommended and it got an error as well. The dvd burner I have is the one that came with the cpu. It is the Phillips DVD 8421. Anyone else had these issues? Some of the error codes are a0000006, 8000405, and 80004005.
[Post New]
Looks like your DVD burners may be too "old" for PD7 to work on, which really, shouldn't be the case at all with software programs. I had a couple of Samsung drives that wouldn't burn and were constantly giving me error messages until I swapped one of them out for a late model DVD burner...an HP 1060. After that, all my DVD problems vanished.

If you can't swap out your DVD drives, try updating your firmware for your burner. There's an outside chance that this may help. Your particular drive, the Philips 8421 has been reported to have problems recognizing blank discs and other issues. It seems that PD7 is very particular as to which burners it can work with.

Here's the link for the update to your DVD burner:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=pv-25051-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Also, although it's a pain in the butt, make sure you turn off all unnecessary programs that are running on your computer, clean your registry using a reg cleaner, etc.

Scott [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have been to that site many times to try to update the driver but cannot because you have to save the download firs to either a a: drive or blank cd. Every time I try to save it to a blank cd it has some sort of error and stops and who has an a: drive anymore... floppy disk. WTF HP, update your website. Anyways I am returning the product but would still like to update my drive if I can figure out how. Thanks for the post!
Scott [Avatar]
[Post New]
BTW this forum beats the hell out of their tech support.
Johan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2009 15:31 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Nothing to do with drives. I get the error when burning a DVD image, no disc at all.
Still no solution. Crap!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Please try a simple DVD write test and report back here please.

Go to:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.

PART A (PD info) PART C (carry out) PART D (explains itself) PART H (simple DVD write test)
Follow the instructions in the order I have given them please.

There are other simple test, instructions for you to look at.

I expect you ALL to De-fragment your hard drives AND allow sufficient space on your systems for render, processing and writing to take place - all drives used.

Please read, carry out and report back here.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2009 07:51

Davec_Surrey_UK
Newbie Location: Surrey Joined: Feb 07, 2009 05:37 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if this helps anyone, but I actually only use Powerdirector to create the folder structure, or image on my hard disk. I have had it burn a DVD, just to see what it did, and although it worked I was not hugely impressed. The reason for this was it gives totally insufficient information on the burning process and a lack of control. I think having the feature is great, but it seems to be that it's an addition to what is primarily an editing program. Besides, I don't really want to have a disk waiting to burn in an active drive for possibly an hour or more.

I will mention another product and because it's free, not a competing commercial product, hopefully it's not breaching any forum rules (if it is please feel free to delete the post). For final mastering on to DVD etc.. I use Imgburn. It allows maximum speed any type of disk handling and works most commonly used operating systems. It allows me to diassociate editing and production of output files from the actual burning process...together with almost total control and plenty of information as to what's happening during the burn. Intel Quad Core, NV 8800GT, Vista (32bit), Canon Powershot TX1. Editing 1280x720 (p) NTSC 30 fps motion jpeg in .avi container....to AVCHD DVDs for Blu Ray playback
Johan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmm another product eh?

Well I also gave up on Cyberlink. I spent three whole days trying to get PowerProducer and Powerdirector to work (see also my other forum messages). A000006 error was not my only issue.
Three days, and I must tell you I am a professional with 18years experience in teh software branch.

So I got myself another product as well (its from a competitor). Now I am able to read, edit and burn HD files and discs, without strange errors and other annoying issues. Works flawlessly immediatly.

Sorry Cyberlink, you lost me.
Davec_Surrey_UK
Newbie Location: Surrey Joined: Feb 07, 2009 05:37 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I have not given up on Cyberlink, I simply use a different program for the final disk burn. Intel Quad Core, NV 8800GT, Vista (32bit), Canon Powershot TX1. Editing 1280x720 (p) NTSC 30 fps motion jpeg in .avi container....to AVCHD DVDs for Blu Ray playback
Johan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah well in my case (and many others cases according to the internet) I also get the error when creating the folders. It seems VOB files are there (in case of normal DVD), but some other are missing.
No response form customer support.

Anyway, I have an alternative now.

Regards,
J
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Johan,

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

"I am a professional with 18years experience in teh software branch."
You will be aware that issues need full information, any error messages generated on ones system needs to be duplicated, isolated and replicated to locate the cause.

I'm sure you gave maximum information,
diagnostic reports and
an action report
to assist Research & Development
to minimise the possible cause on your system or on others.

On this forum A000006 has not been mentioned in large numbers, does indicate that PD is actually working on many systems.
Search results

I am NOT trying to cause upset here, merely pointing out that information is the key to resolving problems and conveying the information speedily in a manner a technical support staff can understand is important. See my links above.

Dafydd
[Moderator]