Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lossless Intermediate Powerdirector can import
[Post New]
Hello Powerdirectors

Im trying to come up with a workflow plan that will let me use the best features of diferent video softwares while managing the loss between programs. I understand Powerdirdirector cant save any lossless formats so that puts powerdirector functions at the end of the workflow.

I read a great thread here once that I jusy cant find, it was before I was up to these sort of things in my learning curve. They were changing their original file to a lossless file of some type then doing their color in Davinci then doing the cutting in powerdirector.

Ive read that the file format is not the only thing to consider when it comes to choosing lossless as the codec used with the file format is paramount. For example AVI can be lossless if the right codec is used?

What is a lossless format youd suggest that is standard to be able to save with in other video software, that powerdirector will be able to open later on? Presently Davinci will be for color, premiere for lens correction, vegas will be doing some intros and perhaps Blufftitler also, then cutting and sound and whatever else with powerdirector and its friends.

I understand there probably wont be a format/codec that they can all save as, particularly blufftitler, but will comprimise with intros as required. Mabye you can tell me about your lossless workflow between the tools you use with powerdirector to get a some puzzle pieces please?

I appreciate your time "I love editing. It's one of my favorite parts about filmmaking" - Steven Spielberg
[Post New]
Ive started trying Quicktime.mov as the file format with DNxHD codec. That codec is a free download from the Avid site. Used the HQ flavor of this codec which is just a few mb higher than the 100 mb bitrate my video is shot in. It is XVAC S 100mb 8 bit color 29.97fps with 16 bit audio. This Codec changes the file of about 8 mins and 5.5gb into a 52gb file. This was done in premiere. Opens in Powerdirector so thats a success so far.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2017 06:23

"I love editing. It's one of my favorite parts about filmmaking" - Steven Spielberg
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ive started trying Quicktime.mov as the file format with DNxHD codec. That codec is a free download from the Avid site. Used the HQ flavor of this codec which is just a few mb higher than the 100 mb bitrate my video is shot in. It is XVAC S 100mb 8 bit color 29.97fps with 16 bit audio. This Codec changes the file of about 8 mins and 5.5gb into a 52gb file. This was done in premiere. Opens in Powerdirector so thats a success so far.

Though not directly supported by PDR, most professional intermediate codecs will work as long as they are installed on your PC including Cineform AVI and Grass Valley HQX AVI which are also free. Intermediates produce larger files with lower compression for easier h.264 editing. Resolve uses .MOV without QuickTime on your PC but you should avoid QT on Windows.

Why not use Resolve for cutting as well and simplify your workflow? PDR is really for "non-professional" use and you are talking about a professional studio workflow where separate programs are used for cutting, color correction, edit, and compositing/FX.

Pros now use a simplified integrated workflow like Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects or DaVinci Resolve and Fusion.

I'm not sure I understand your workflow.

Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer