Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Banner ads in PowerDVD 16 after so called update
[Post New]
To whom it may concern, I recently updated my Powerdvd 16 with a patch from Cyberlink. I have Windows 10 pro. After the update my paid-for-program started displaying nagging banner ads AND was much slower. I solved it by uninstalling AND reinstalling the base version of 16. Problem solved, ads gone, freezing stopped. This is so wrong that as a paying customer to be tortured with ads I can't turn off. I can tell you I will not be upgrading to 17 if I'm going to be subjected to annoying advertisments. I'm tired of being hammered by ads. Cyberlink You just lost a cusomer. frown

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Mar 26. 2017 18:40

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To whom it may concern, I recently updated my Powerdvd 16 with a patch from Cyberlink. I have Windows 10 pro. After the update my paid-for-program started displaying nagging banner ads AND was much slower. I solved it by uninstalling AND reinstalling the base version of 16. Problem solved, ads gone, freezing stopped. This is so wrong that as a paying customer to be tortured with ads I can't turn off. I can tell you I will not be upgrading to 17 if I'm going to be subjected to annoying advertisments. I'm tired of being hammered by ads. Cyberlink You just lost a cusomer. frown

In my version (14), there is an option to uncheck "Check For Product Update Information"

I'm sure that the button is still there in 16.
[Post New]
Quote To whom it may concern, I recently updated my Powerdvd 16 with a patch from Cyberlink. I have Windows 10 pro. After the update my paid-for-program started displaying nagging banner ads AND was much slower. I solved it by uninstalling AND reinstalling the base version of 16. Problem solved, ads gone, freezing stopped. This is so wrong that as a paying customer to be tortured with ads I can't turn off. I can tell you I will not be upgrading to 17 if I'm going to be subjected to annoying advertisments. I'm tired of being hammered by ads. Cyberlink You just lost a cusomer. frown

In my version (14), there is an option to uncheck "Check For Product Update Information"

It doesn't matter if that option is checked or unchecked PowerDVD 16 after the 'update' will display the banner ad constantly and a floating popup.
Seanarthur99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 26, 2016 18:53 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

It doesn't matter if that option is checked or unchecked PowerDVD 16 after the 'update' will display the banner ad constantly and a floating popup.

I agree. Shoving that ad down a user's throat on every screen taints the experience and becomes very annoying. I click to close it, watch the movie, and then the ad is back after the movie. I sent a request to the support team for instructions on how to remove the ad permanently and they responded by saying that I should just ignore it if I don't like it. I'm already looking intently for another solution for my digital home theater experience. Cyberlink has lost a customer, even if that means I have to buy another product. Better to send my money to a vendor that cares about my enjoyment of the product than one that sees me as a moneytree.