Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV 4K video problems
yk_nb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2011 09:40 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Gurus,

When I tried to play 4K video shot by Canon EOS 5D Mark IV on my PC I noticed that the playback was smooth and perfect only when using Canon EOS Movie Utility. The playback on the camera itself was perfect as well.However, while using any other player or video editor the playback was discrete and laggy. The audio was obviously ahead of video.

My PC is good enough – remember that it plays your files smoothly with Canon EOS Movie Utility.I performed some testing with several PCs trying to play 4K .mov files shot by Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and gathered the following statistics:

PC # 1. Windows 7 64 bit.• QuickTime - playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video.• Windows Media Player – does not play at all, complains on incompatible format.• VLC player - playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video.• Cyberlink PowerDVD 16 – crashes when opening the file and sends the crash report.• ACD See Pro 10 (embedded player) - playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video.• Cyberlink PowerDirector 15 (embedded player) - playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video. While trying to produce 4K HEVC 264 video in .mp4 container the resulting file is about 10 times less, though plays back smoothly.

PC # 2. Windows 7 64 bit.• QuickTime - playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video.• Windows Media Player – does not play at all, complains on incompatible format.• VLC player - playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video.• Cyberlink PowerDVD 14- playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video.

PC # 3. Windows 10 64 bit.• Windows Media Player - playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video.• Movie & TV application - playback discrete and laggy, the audio obviously ahead of video. I managed anyway to find one Windows 10’64 machine, which played the file smoothly with Windows Media Player.

This was not the result one would like to achieve.The Canon EOS Movie Utility cannot do anything with the video files, it’s capable only of playing and splitting them. But it can neither edit video, nor produce video files.Moreover.I performed further testing and found out that:1. TVs would not play.mov files shot by Canon EOS 5D Mark IV from USB flash. I tried Sony and Panasonic. Keeping in mind that according to page 420 of the User Guide even if I connect the camera to the TV using HDMI cable I will only see full HD video, I wonder if 4K .mov files shot by Canon EOS 5D Mark IV can be played on TV at all.2. Page 421 of the User Guide says that I can transfer video files to my PC to view and edit them using standard programs. I reported above the result with video players. The result with video editors is even worse. I tried Adobe Premiere CC 2017, Cyberlink PowerDirector 15, Vegas Pro 14.None of them supported 4K .mov files shot by Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.The bottom line is that I failed to find a method to properly playback 4K .mov files shot by Canon EOS 5D Mark IV on TV and on PC and edit them on PC.

Of course, I tried to resolve the above issues with Canon support. The answer was surprising: they just said that they just tested their .mkv files with Canon EOS Movie Utility and do not care about anything else.

Cyberlink support simply got bewildered.

I wonder if anybody had better experience with 4K .mov files shot by Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and can educate me on how to handle them with Cyberlink products I love and use for years..

Thank you.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome back.

Quote ... I tried ... Cyberlink PowerDirector 15, Vegas Pro 14. None of them supported 4K .mov files ...

Jeff has posted that it, PD15, will import but will not export to .MOV container because of the security risk; so,

just use what is available. .MOV is gone. sayonara. adios. security risk, etc...

i've imported .mov file created by Panny's GH4 and rendered to 4K UHD 4096x2160 .MP4 using PD 14Ultimate.

in Vegas, same thing. it'll import but will export to XAVC-S 4K QfHD 3840x2160 .MP4 or MainConcept AVC .MP4...

in my personal opinion, the MOV container wasn't the best anyways... never bought the Panny's GH4,

instead bought Sammy's NX1 BUT, GH5 is very tempting...

overcome and adapt or buy a new camera or fade away slowly with a broken heart by Apple...

p.s.

attach 30 seconds of your canon 4K .mov video...
oh happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2017 22:30

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi yk_nb -

There's a fair likelihood that you won't find many forum members who are using a Canon 5D Mk IV.

With no experience of the camera, I can only go on what I just found after downloading this original 4K clip from Gordon Laing.

First up, the VBR is 520+Mbps. That alone is going to test any system with playback. Still, it played back acceptably well on my modest PC using MPHC & GOM Player. WMP & Win10's Films & TV both gave me audio with a black screen. Possibly the Motion JPEG codec undid them. VLC Player struggled to play it smoothly. I guess that shows that some players are better equipped to handle it than others.

It imported fine into PDR15, but playback was choppy on my PC. If I was editing a significant amount of footage from the 5D Mk IV, I'd definitely be using shadow or proxy files.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. MediaInfo report attached for interest of members
 Filename
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV sample movie_ focus-pull (0) _ 4k _ 25p _ 50th _ 800 ISO _ 24-70mm f4 at 50mm f4.mov.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
352 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2017 00:24

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Gentlemen,

If you wish to try my samples, you may DOWNLOAD two files from

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw5zxfKbDTGNQnloVjZLUWRYR2s
yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote welcome back.

... I tried ... Cyberlink PowerDirector 15, Vegas Pro 14. None of them supported 4K .mov files ...

attach 30 seconds of your canon 4K .mov video...
oh happy happy joy joy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2017 02:30

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Gentlemen,

signed into google to download but access denied...

got a feeling will experience same as Tony.

my MPC-HC v1.7.10.252 with ffdshow codec v1.3.4533 plays NX1 HEVC H.265 @80Mb/sec without a hickup

so is GH4's 4K .mov @104Mb/sec bitrate...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I would love the samples to add to my site, I have a page of camera files for editors to download. In fact if anyone else has a 10 second (or thereabout) original file please, have at it. But not here, PM me. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for making your sample clips available. They are consistent with the 4K sample I downloaded from Vimeo, so I found the same thing with different media players and behaviour in PDR.

Produced to H.264 MP4 3840x2160 @ 50Mbps, the clips played back smoothly & correctly in all players & in PDR with preview resolution set to Full HD, which confirms my earlier suggestion.

On my PC, at least, I'd need to use proxy/shadow/substitute files for any editing to be trouble-free.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
PepsiMan
[Post New]
Quote ...

i had similar results with Tony.

in the preview pane or window it played like the old charlie chaplin film and pauses...

produced your 30 seconds 4K .MOV at 4K H.264 .MP4 @200Mb/sec came out to 103Mb/sec

and played smoothly in MPC-HC v1.7.10.252.

WMP failed to play YKP_0786.mov.

re-installed QT v7.79.80.95 for W7. PD 14Ultimate produced 1080.mov. WMP played smoothly.

created a custom 4K profile but failed to produce the video, just audio was produced...

so your option is to produce in .MP4 container.

oh happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1