Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Win10 update 3/15 has bamboozled PDVD16
Starrman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2017 14:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
After Windows updated itself on the 15th, a major update, Power DVD16 crashes every time on playing MKV files. I WAS able to get it to work oddly enough by using MKVToolnix to remove the subtitles from the file, and POOF it would work. Note: it is possible that just running it though that without changing anything could possible fix the files as well, haven't tried that yet. Point is, files all worked fine before Win10 updated, Now, it doesn't... BluRay (Dr Strange) via computer plays fine, didn't try DVD, but take it for granted it will play fine as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2017 15:01

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote After Windows updated itself on the 15th, a major update, Power DVD16 crashes every time on playing MKV files. I WAS able to get it to work oddly enough by using MKVToolnix to remove the subtitles from the file, and POOF it would work. Note: it is possible that just running it though that without changing anything could possible fix the files as well, haven't tried that yet. Point is, files all worked fine before Win10 updated, Now, it doesn't... BluRay (Dr Strange) via computer plays fine, didn't try DVD, but take it for granted it will play fine as well.

What kind of mkv file is it? Have you tried another source or download from DEMOs?

Read this (link).

. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Starrman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote After Windows updated itself on the 15th, a major update, Power DVD16 crashes every time on playing MKV files. I WAS able to get it to work oddly enough by using MKVToolnix to remove the subtitles from the file, and POOF it would work. Note: it is possible that just running it though that without changing anything could possible fix the files as well, haven't tried that yet. Point is, files all worked fine before Win10 updated, Now, it doesn't... BluRay (Dr Strange) via computer plays fine, didn't try DVD, but take it for granted it will play fine as well.

What kind of mkv file is it? Have you tried another source or download from DEMOs?

Read this (link).

Multiple MKV files. shows, always worked just fine. Nothing special about them.Stopped overnight post Windows update. Now P16 gives a crash screen, unless I run the formerly working file through mkvtoolnix. Just took down another small file, of course it worked fine. Now trying another matching type file to see what happens. (Intention was to run it through MKVToolnix is it failed WiTHOUT changing anything). I did reboot the computer post update, but its possible it needed ANOTHER reboot to settle in. My other computer did the Windows update, and DIDN"T reboot the computer at all, just announced it had been done.. Don't think I've ever seen that behavior before. This computer I left to do an update, and found the computer back at desktop, so logically it DID do a reboot. Program that worked was a half hour program, but... Downloaded a couple of hour programs, both failed. Ran one through MKVtoolnix, left it as is, it failed too. Ran it again, removing the subtitles, ran fine after. (Subs are english, unnecessary) SO, something in Windows 10 update is affecting P16 in playing MKV files with a subtitle component. Oh, and looked at that file that worked, it didn't have subs embedded.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2017 16:27

MGK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2017 18:47 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Yesterday, my computer was updated with the monthly, March Windows 10 updates. Ever since this update, my event log is being flooded with hundreds of the following errors:

Service Control Manager:
The CyberLink PowerDVD 16 Media Server Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 175 time(s).

Application Error:
Faulting application name: CLMSServerPDVD16.exe, version: 2.2.0.15713, time stamp: 0x58789cf3
Faulting module name: CompPkgSup.DLL, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5a1f
Exception code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x0000346b
Faulting process id: 0x1798Faulting application start time: 0x01d29dc2d9580b7e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\Kernel\DMS\CLMSServerPDVD16.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\CompPkgSup.DLLReport Id: f6fdc394-f88e-4483-99b4-d4b2d43b95f9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I tried uninstalling powerdvd and then reinstalling it. These errors still persist. As long as these two services are running, hundreds of errors are generated. I've had to disable these two services. With these services disabled, I can no longer cast to my smart TV.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Believe it or not, a visit to Microsoft Community (link) about the problems may give you an answer.

You can always roll back the updates and then add them one at a time to figure out which one is giving you a problem.

Or just restore your computer to an earlier time to get everything back. You can then decide which of the updates is the culprit. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Starrman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I know, just figured Cyberlink needed to know that MS has screwed up thier program.

Quote Believe it or not, a visit to Microsoft Community (link) about the problems may give you an answer.

You can always roll back the updates and then add them one at a time to figure out which one is giving you a problem.

Or just restore your computer to an earlier time to get everything back. You can then decide which of the updates is the culprit.
MGK [Avatar]
[Post New]
It turns out that KB4013429 is the problem update. I uninstalled it, uninstalled PowerDVD, reintstalled PowerDVD and now it works fine. The problem I have now is how do I stop Windows from installing this update? There used to be a way of downloading updates and choosing which ones to install. You have no control over updates in Windows 10.
Starrman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Removed that one update, and you are right, my MKV playback issue vanished as well

Thank you to all who worked on this problem. and you are right, how to stop MS from installing it again..... And just wanted to add, I didn't uninstall/ reinstall PowerDVD16, just removed the MS update.

Quote It turns out that KB4013429 is the problem update. I uninstalled it, uninstalled PowerDVD, reintstalled PowerDVD and now it works fine. The problem I have now is how do I stop Windows from installing this update? There used to be a way of downloading updates and choosing which ones to install. You have no control over updates in Windows 10.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2017 23:39

MGK [Avatar]
[Post New]
The problem now is that Windows keeps trying to install that update. I need to find a way to prevent that update from being installed or wait for Microsoft to fix that problem.
TOF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2017 12:23 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The problem now is that Windows keeps trying to install that update. I need to find a way to prevent that update from being installed or wait for Microsoft to fix that problem.

Microsoft has a free program to download called "wushowhide.diagcab" that will allow you to hide unwanted updates. When you open it a little box called Advance is shown near the lower left of the dialog window. Uncheck it and follow the options to find the update to hide.

The catch to this is the default update settings in Windows to automatically update your files which means if you see the update available it is already to be or is installing. If so you will need to remove the update and start all over But before you do, goto run and type gpedit.msc. In the window that opens selec Administrative Templates, Windows Update, Configure Automatic Updates, then on the upper left check Enabled, lower down where it says Configure automatic updating:, choose option 2 -Notify for download and Notify for install. That's all so close it up, remove the offending update, restart and when start is completed, open the wushohide.diagcab and let it search for updates. When the "bad" update shows in the list, check the box to hide and you should be good to go for that update. On the next offender, rinse and repeat.

HTH
Richodredd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2017 02:34 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Believe it or not, a visit to Microsoft Community (link) about the problems may give you an answer.

Or just restore your computer to an earlier time to get everything back. You can then decide which of the updates is the culprit.

Not with Windows 10 you can't and thats what the update is for.

KB4013429 is the biggest cock up Microsoft has ever put out, have a look around other forums it's bricking computers world wide.

you can't turn off updates so even if you manage to get rid of it it just tries to reinstall it again.

HORRID!
TOF [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not with Windows 10 you can't and thats what the update is for.

KB4013429 is the biggest cock up Microsoft has ever put out, have a look around other forums it's bricking computers world wide.

you can't turn off updates so even if you manage to get rid of it it just tries to reinstall it again.

HORRID!

You CAN prevent re-installs of that update.
MGK [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried the gpedit.msc and wushowhide.diagcab and it doesn't work. KB4013429 still shows up. I'm giving up on PowerDVD since I can't use it for what I want it for and will look for alternative software. Maybe Microsoft or Cyberlink will fix the problem. I'm not going to hold my breath though.
TOF [Avatar]
[Post New]
sorry it didn't work for you. It does work but the sequence is critical. After removing the bad guy, and reboot, immediately do the gpedit change. try the hide activity again before selecting update or you may get it downloaded again in which case it will install.
MGK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote sorry it didn't work for you. It does work but the sequence is critical. After removing the bad guy, and reboot, immediately do the gpedit change. try the hide activity again before selecting update or you may get it downloaded again in which case it will install.

You need to do the group policy edit first. If you do the uninstall first, the uninstall requires a restart and it just starts downloading the update. So i changed the update group policy to notify download/install. Uninstalled the update. Uninstall does a restart. Ran the wushowhide.diagcab. Hid the update. Then did a restart. The update was still showing up. At this point I give up. I will do without powerdvd. I wasted enough time on this crap. It's time Microsoft fix this problem and now.
TOF [Avatar]
[Post New]
FYI,

That update breaks a number of other programs, including the store HDHomrun app. Their tech suuport has been in touch with Microsoft and the word from his is that Microsoft will issue another update "within days". Also Windows 10 Insider Prieview build 15061.0 does not have this problem and plays PDVD and the HDHomerun correctly.
MGK [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found a fix for powerdvd without having to uninstall KB4013429. The problem, for me, was a file called CompPkgSup.dll, Version 10.0.14393.953. This is what I did:

This is for Windows 10, 64 bit
1-I downloaded a Version 12.0.10586.0 from https://www.dll-files.com/comppkgsup.dll.html (64bit)
2-Extracted the file to a temp folder.
3-Go to c:\windows\system32; rename CompPkgSup.dll to something like CompPkgSup.dll.xxx; you will have to take ownership of the file before you can rename it.
4-Do the same thing in C:\Windows\SysWOW64
5-Copy the Version 12.0.10586.0 of CompPkgSup.dll from the temp folder to c:\windows\system32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Everything is now working as before.
TOF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I found a fix for powerdvd without having to uninstall KB4013429. The problem, for me, was a file called CompPkgSup.dll, Version 10.0.14393.953. This is what I did:

This is for Windows 10, 64 bit
1-I downloaded a Version 12.0.10586.0 from https://www.dll-files.com/comppkgsup.dll.html (64bit)
2-Extracted the file to a temp folder.
3-Go to c:\windows\system32; rename CompPkgSup.dll to something like CompPkgSup.dll.xxx; you will have to take ownership of the file before you can rename it.
4-Do the same thing in C:\Windows\SysWOW64
5-Copy the Version 12.0.10586.0 of CompPkgSup.dll from the temp folder to c:\windows\system32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Everything is now working as before.

Micrisoft issued a new cumulative update today that you may already have or can use Update to get that fixes problems caused by the 3/15 update.
Bogdan_D [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Mar 30, 2014 12:49 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
There was an update released yesterday.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4015438/windows-10-update-kb4015438

I think this fixed the problem.
Starrman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There was an update released yesterday.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4015438/windows-10-update-kb4015438

I think this fixed the problem.

I think you are right! installed it on both computers, the one with the previous eroneous update and the one without. Now both play files correctly.