Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to make pictures talk
JimShoes12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2017 22:39 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I'm experimenting and trying to make pictures talk.

So basically, what I want is a still image, but for me to be able to edit the mouth to move along to audio conversation that is being said in the back ground.

As an example of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrGOVzgRMo at about the 0:23 second mark is what I want, however this is in After effects.

Is it possible to do that in PD 15? Intel i5 6600k, 16Gb RAM, 1tb HDD, 250Gb SSD, GTX GeForce 6Gb Windforce, ASUS Z170-P.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

So basically, what I want is a still image, but for me to be able to edit the mouth to move along to audio conversation that is being said in the back ground.

As an example of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrGOVzgRMo at about the 0:23 second mark is what I want, however this is in After effects.

Is it possible to do that in PD 15?

Hi Jim

This is old, PD10 if I remember correctly. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/23808.page Although the animation is not human, you may be able to adapt it for your own project.

It'll give you something to think about anyway.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Is it possible to do that in PD 15?

Hi Jim

This is old, PD10 if I remember correctly. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/23808.page Although the animation is not human, you may be able to adapt it for your own project.

It'll give you something to think about anyway.

Robert

Our OP wants to create talking pictures - animated mouths supposedly speaking words uttered in the background....Hmmm. Shadowman, you suggest this was available back in PD10(your guess). If it was, then why hasn't Cyberlink brought this feature forward to PD14 or PD15? It would certainly give JimShoes12 or anyone else that extra bit of versatility to create some very comical, or at least unusual videos.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
The same facility that was available in earlier versions of PDR are available in PDR15. There was NEVER, in PDR, an instant way to animate mouths in a still image so they appeared to talk.

The methods discussed/demonstrated in the link Robert posted were:

1. Overlaying/masking an actual mouth talking - video over a still image

2. Using other software, e.g. Crazy Talk, to simulate a talking head using a still image... that's how I did this (as ho-hum as it is)

Not ever did PDR have any feature like the one shown in After Effects.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2017 15:46

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The same facility that was available in earlier versions of PDR are available in PDR15. There was NEVER, in PDR, an instant way to animate mouths in a still image so they appeared to talk.

The methods discussed/demonstrated in the link Robert posted were:

1. Overlaying/masking an actual mouth talking - video over a still image

2. Using other software, e.g. Crazy Talk, to simulate a talking head using a still image... that's how I did this (as ho-hum as it is)

Not ever did PDR have any feature like the one shown in After Effects.

Cheers - Tony

Tony,

I looked at the video you created.... brilliant! A total crack-up! One of the best comic videos I've seen in quite some time. It's the sort of effect JimShoes12 would be trying to achieve, so how did you create it? Clearly you used other software(outside Power Director) I admit, for some things I'm doing lately I have to, at least partially, use outside software, but I think, for JimShoes12's benefit, the "nuts & bolts" of the process could be explained to him via PM.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2017 20:18

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Neil -

Yes - that was done using an older version of Crazy Talk. It's such easy software to use, even I can do it! It's purpose-built for the task.

I made that video for my Dad's 80th birthday some years back. It went down well. Recorded the VO in one take! Glad you enjoyed it, anyway.

Back to PDR, as shown in the thread Robert linked, a similar sort of thing can be done with a masked video of someone actually speaking.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote G'day Neil -

Yes - that was done using an older version of Crazy Talk. It's such easy software to use, even I can do it! It's purpose-built for the task.

I made that video for my Dad's 80th birthday some years back. It went down well. Recorded the VO in one take! Glad you enjoyed it, anyway.

Back to PDR, as shown in the thread Robert linked, a similar sort of thing can be done with a masked video of someone actually speaking.

Cheers - Tony

Hey Tony, I really cracked up with that clip! And yeah, JimShoes12 and Robert, alias Shadowman, I think I might've figured out the method.... First you need your still image that you hope to animate the lips for, then you need to create a PNG file of this still image but you'll need to make the mouth area transparent. Then you'll need to record a sequence of yourself or someone(anyone) speaking the wanted line(s). To create the efect, you'll probably need three video tracks here, Video Track 1 can carry either black(or any other) colour board(in case the video, or the still, or both, do not fill the 16:9 screen), or any backdrop will do. Now we put the video of you(or whomever you had) speaking the lines, while this video is on thack 2 it can be easily positioned so the speaking mouth will appear where it needs to be, as the still of the image you want speaking your words(with the mouth area transparent) is laid on Video Track 3. The still can be of just about anything you can think of that you want to make look like its talking... the family pet(cat or dog) perhaps.

Actually, this has given me an idea. I've started producing a set of tutorials of my own called Video Editing Tricks & Tips., I want to get at least five done before I start uploading them, Producing one on this effect might be laborious and time-consuming but the result might be worth it!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2017 05:50