Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sound out of sync with video.
[Post New]
I have read pages of the archived notes on this problem and it seems that it is an ongoing problem with Power Director. Then I read that the cause might be a cheap JVC camera I am using. Is this possible and the sync problem is actually in the camera and not PD14? Is it time for a new camera? The Village Clockmaker
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have read pages of the archived notes on this problem and it seems that it is an ongoing problem with Power Director. Then I read that the cause might be a cheap JVC camera I am using. Is this possible and the sync problem is actually in the camera and not PD14? Is it time for a new camera?

Was it a digital camera(Mini-DV or SD card-based) or was it an older analogue(Video-8, Hi-8 or VHS-C cassette-based) camera? If the latter, the problem might be in the capture card device. Just a guess. If the former, could be an internal problem. Others may know more.
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2014 15:36 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have read pages of the archived notes on this problem and it seems that it is an ongoing problem with Power Director. Then I read that the cause might be a cheap JVC camera I am using. Is this possible and the sync problem is actually in the camera and not PD14? Is it time for a new camera?

Was it a digital camera(Mini-DV or SD card-based) or was it an older analogue(Video-8, Hi-8 or VHS-C cassette-based) camera? If the latter, the problem might be in the capture card device. Just a guess. If the former, could be an internal problem. Others may know more.

I also had a lot of problems with sound out-of-sync while digitizing Beta tapes to AVI files. Eventually I had to buy a Canopus AVDC-100 digitizer to finish up my Beta tapes. I've not had those problems with Hi8 or the two digital formats I've used (D8 and .mt2s) files. Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
HP Z230 Workstation (Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSHD, 3TB Toshiba Data Drive, Windows 10 Professional, nVidea GeForce GTX 750Ti)
Panasonic HC-X920
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]

The thing with tranferring video content to a computer for editing is, with digital formats, if they're tape-based, like DV or the Digital-8 formats, the camera hooks up to the computer and(I'd probably expect) have software built-in to them to interface with the editing software on the computer itself. The tape is then captured real-time or by whichever means it has to pull the content in faster than real-time(at a guess). If the digital camera uses SD cards, there are two options, option 1 is to connect the camera to the computer(the editing software doesn't even need to be open), the camera acts like an external hard-drive. Option 2 is to remove the SD card from the camera(while it's switched off) and put the card in a card reader. With either option it's just a matter of copying the video files across to your computer's hard-drive. So if you're thinking of a new camera, they predominantly shoot to SD card these days, which means a lot less hassle to copy content and NO sound/image synchronising problems!

As to the older method with analogue-sourced material, be it from VHS or Beta tapes or Hi-8, or even regular Video-8 camera tapes, the loss of sync could be in the capture device(seemingly selective, an odd situation!) I doubt the problem's in the Power Director software(any version). As you've said, you bought a new capture device(digitiser) to finish transferring your Beta tapes and that has cured the fault. Have you tried the new capture device(digitiser) with that "cheap" JVC camera? Being JVC, it would, if analogue, use VHS-C cassettes.
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2014 15:36 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
As to the older method with analogue-sourced material, be it from VHS or Beta tapes or Hi-8, or even regular Video-8 camera tapes, the loss of sync could be in the capture device(seemingly selective, an odd situation!) I doubt the problem's in the Power Director software(any version). As you've said, you bought a new capture device(digitiser) to finish transferring your Beta tapes and that has cured the fault. Have you tried the new capture device(digitiser) with that "cheap" JVC camera? Being JVC, it would, if analogue, use VHS-C cassettes.[zz/quotePostId]

Neil, I think you have me mixed up with the original poster. I was answering his question when I talked about using the Conopus box.

As you mentioned, the problem that I'm aware of isn't the editor, it is whatever mechanism is being used to convert analog tapes to a digital video file. My biggest problem was with Beta tapes, but not even all of them. When I was digitizing them with Pinnacle ISA digitizing board in my computer, some tapes did fine, but on others would create a digital file with as much as 6 seconds of audio-out-of-sync by the end of a tape. I could manage it by making smaller digital video files, but that was a pain.

I'm not an expert, but I read or someone told me that AVI files do not inherently lock the video content to the audio content from a timing standpoint. So if something happens during digitizing that gets the video content out of sync to the audio content, when it is finally passed to the AVI file, AVI records the audio out of sync and doesn't care.

The Conopus device that I mentioned had a proprietary internal coding that locked the video and audio in sync as it came into the box, and when it wrote that to the AVI file, they were still locked in sync. I never had any audio out of sync after I started using the Conopus. I did find, however, that my particular Conopus would create a digitized file that was a little darker than what I was getting from the Pinnacle board. I ended up solving that by adjusting the lighting of the video feed before it went into the Conopus box. Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
HP Z230 Workstation (Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSHD, 3TB Toshiba Data Drive, Windows 10 Professional, nVidea GeForce GTX 750Ti)
Panasonic HC-X920
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As to the older method with analogue-sourced material, be it from VHS or Beta tapes or Hi-8, or even regular Video-8 camera tapes, the loss of sync could be in the capture device(seemingly selective, an odd situation!) I doubt the problem's in the Power Director software(any version). As you've said, you bought a new capture device(digitiser) to finish transferring your Beta tapes and that has cured the fault. Have you tried the new capture device(digitiser) with that "cheap" JVC camera? Being JVC, it would, if analogue, use VHS-C cassettes.[zz/quotePostId]

Neil, I think you have me mixed up with the original poster. I was answering his question when I talked about using the Conopus box.

As you mentioned, the problem that I'm aware of isn't the editor, it is whatever mechanism is being used to convert analog tapes to a digital video file. My biggest problem was with Beta tapes, but not even all of them. When I was digitizing them with Pinnacle ISA digitizing board in my computer, some tapes did fine, but on others would create a digital file with as much as 6 seconds of audio-out-of-sync by the end of a tape. I could manage it by making smaller digital video files, but that was a pain.

I'm not an expert, but I read or someone told me that AVI files do not inherently lock the video content to the audio content from a timing standpoint. So if something happens during digitizing that gets the video content out of sync to the audio content, when it is finally passed to the AVI file, AVI records the audio out of sync and doesn't care.

The Conopus device that I mentioned had a proprietary internal coding that locked the video and audio in sync as it came into the box, and when it wrote that to the AVI file, they were still locked in sync. I never had any audio out of sync after I started using the Conopus. I did find, however, that my particular Conopus would create a digitized file that was a little darker than what I was getting from the Pinnacle board. I ended up solving that by adjusting the lighting of the video feed before it went into the Conopus box.

Sorry, Clockmaker, Should've posted into the panel with TerryQ111's comment. Er.... Oops!