Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mov file showing in MediaInfo as MP4
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
I am a bit confused by the information given by MediaInfo.

I have a .MOV file that is being shown in MediaInfo as Mpeg4. There's probably a very good reason and I am wondering if anybody can tell me why.

Please see the attached pictures which I think are self explanatory.
[Thumb - Medinf1.png]
 Filename
Medinf1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
82 time(s)
[Thumb - Medinf1a.png]
 Filename
Medinf1a.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
73 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2017 12:37

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
As with most Video files the file extension is just the name of the Container format.

You can have just about any format of video in any container. Best example is *.AVI.

In the case or your .MOV file with the MP4 content, you can very likey just rename *.MOV to *.MP4. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The mov and mpeg-4 are containers which house the h.264 encoded material. See this article for an explanation: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/difference-between-mov-and-mp4/ .

Many mov files from digital cameras can be changed to mp4 files using svrt. Try this : place a mov file from a digial camera, not from a cell phone or canon brand camera on the timeline. Hit Alt-S on the keyboard and intelligent svrt canl show that it can be produced to mp4 (100%).

EDIT: Carl answered first while I was still typing.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The mov and mpeg-4 are containers which house the h.264 encoded material. See this article for an explanation: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/difference-between-mov-and-mp4/ .

Many mov files from digital cameras can be changed to mp4 files using svrt. Try this : place a mov file from a digial camera, not from a cell phone or canon brand camera on the timeline. Hit Alt-S on the keyboard and intelligent svrt canl show that it can be produced to mp4 (100%).

EDIT: Carl answered first while I was still typing.

Thank you, both.

I did try the Alt-S and yes, sure enough, it could be produced as MP4. The above link did make interesting reading - thank you again.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Thanks for you help. I can use vlc to convert my mov. icod files. I have about 4tb of video like this to convert. What codec do you guys think I should convert to.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2017 15:39

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for you help. I can use vlc to convert my mov. icod files. I have about 4tb of video like this to convert. What codec do you guys think I should convert to.

Hello Rosie

Welcome to the forum

Can I suggest that you start a new thread with your question. This one has been solved and therefore, less likely to be looked at.

Once you have done that I am sure you will get loads of advice.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,