Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Simple question: should I remove old versions of CyberLink products before installing a newer one?
Kizze [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 28, 2017 16:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I'm about to upgrade PhotoDirector 6 and PowerDirector 13 to versions 8 (Ultra) and 15 (Ultimate). Should I remove the old ones before installing new ones? I've downloaded what I believe are the full versions, not something that simply updates an existing one.

Could not find any info on this in the FAQs. It should be there.

What happens to all the existing content and projects of the old versions, e.g. the content packs? Is all contents of the old ones present in the new ones?

Thanks for helping!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Really just a personal pref since you indicated you bought the full install package. I like leaving the old as sometimes you find you may need to use one or double check how some feature maybe worked previously. Others don't want anything hanging around on their C: drive.

All the older stuff will be available in PD15, for this to work you do need to install the current patch, 2309 from here https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html

Jeff
WillChill58 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Northern Hemisphere Joined: Dec 10, 2012 22:00 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

I'm about to upgrade PhotoDirector 6 and PowerDirector 13 to versions 8 (Ultra) and 15 (Ultimate). Should I remove the old ones before installing new ones? I've downloaded what I believe are the full versions, not something that simply updates an existing one.

Could not find any info on this in the FAQs. It should be there.

What happens to all the existing content and projects of the old versions, e.g. the content packs? Is all contents of the old ones present in the new ones?

Thanks for helping!

Hello, I'd just like to add that it's always a good idea if you want to save money to buy the upgrade versions. However in that case you will need to keep previous versions installed untill the upgradeed version is in place. After that I uninstall the older version. That is the only scenario where you would need to keep previous versions installed.

However, you state that you've purchased full (non-upgrade) versions at regular prices then indeed you may uninstall the older versions before or after the install of this new product. It keeps the versions separate and doesn't "borrow" say wedding pak or title paks available for the new install so i just remove all the old and keep the fresh new programs. Indeed if you find you are doing this every new build I enjoy the convienece of the "LIVE" versions which skip all that and simply updtates as time goes on. I've tried it both ways and for me the LIVE makes most sense. good luck. Rob
Kizze [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 28, 2017 16:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
A bit late, but thank you to both of you JL_JL and WillChill58!