Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDVD 16 and Kaby Lake
DELTAXX [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2016 11:11 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

When will PDVD 16 support Kaby Lake CPU which will include 4K UHD ?
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Hi DELTAXX,

PowerDVD 16 supports 4K resolution's video file playback with software (CPU) decoding.
But, PowerDVD 16 does NOT support the Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback no matter the CPU model (Kaby Lake) user applied.

You may refer to our statement:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48416.page

Ultra HD Blu-ray movie (UHD-BD) requires all related software/hardware (OS, CPU/GPU/ODD/Display device, Connection cable, etc) supports the UHD-BD requirements for PC platform.

The information that "When or whether to supports the feature" is not available at current early development phase.
Our product team is currently working on the feature development with our partners in PC industry.

Thanks for your report and concerns.

Greetings,
Chuck
DELTAXX [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Hi DELTAXX,

PowerDVD 16 supports 4K resolution's video file playback with software (CPU) decoding.
But, PowerDVD 16 does NOT support the Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback no matter the CPU model (Kaby Lake) user applied.

You may refer to our statement:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48416.page

Ultra HD Blu-ray movie (UHD-BD) requires all related software/hardware (OS, CPU/GPU/ODD/Display device, Connection cable, etc) supports the UHD-BD requirements for PC platform.

The information that "When or whether to supports the feature" is not available at current early development phase.
Our product team is currently working on the feature development with our partners in PC industry.

Thanks for your report and concerns.

Greetings,
Chuck

Thanks for the reply and season GREETINGS

ASRock claims the flowing about their Beebox S Kaby Lake:

"Smooth and ultra high resolution 4K@60Hz 10-bit playback on HDMI and DisplayPort"

I have 4K resolution file HEVC (Main10@L6.1@Main) that was suturing when played by PDVD 16 with Beebox (Intel® Core i5-7200U(3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz).

Intel also claims that Kaby Lake CPU has built in instructions to enhance 4K HEVC decoding and smooth 4K playback.

PDVD 16 could play the file (BARELY) with NVidia 1070 with 8GB RAM and iCore 7 4790K.

That’s is the reason I asked the question if PDVD 16 support Kaby Lake CPU instructions yet!
[Post New]

"Smooth and ultra high resolution 4K@60Hz 10-bit playback on HDMI and DisplayPort"

I have 4K resolution file HEVC (Main10@L6.1@Main) that was suturing when played by PDVD 16 with Beebox (Intel® Core i5-7200U(3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz).

Intel also claims that Kaby Lake CPU has built in instructions to enhance 4K HEVC decoding and smooth 4K playback.

PDVD 16 could play the file (BARELY) with NVidia 1070 with 8GB RAM and iCore 7 4790K.

That’s is the reason I asked the question if PDVD 16 support Kaby Lake CPU instructions yet!

Hi DELTAXX,

By the current information, you played a 10 bit (Main10) encoded HEVC video.
PowerDVD 16 will play the 10-bit HEVC encoded video as software (CPU) decoding mode.

For your reference, if the video is 8-bit color depth encoded, it can be played as hardware (GPU) decoding mode with PowerDVD 16 that has higher playback efficiency if your GPU supports.

As you got playback problem when playing back certain HEVC video, I may suggest you to contact CyberLink support by submitting the video you tried.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp

Happy New Year,
Chuck

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2016 03:36

DELTAXX [Avatar]
[Post New]
Microsoft Movies & TV app in WIN 10 can play the UHD MVK HEVC (Main10@L6.1@Main) file much smoother than PDVD 16!!!!!!

It is obvious here if I am not mistaken the MS Movies & TV app is utilizing the new 4K smooth play features of the Kaby Lake CPU.

Cheers

Ahmed

Hi DELTAXX,

PowerDVD 16 will play the 10-bit HEVC encoded video as software (CPU) decoding mode.

For your reference, if the video is 8-bit color depth encoded, it can be played as hardware (GPU) decoding mode with PowerDVD 16 that has higher playback efficiency if your GPU supports.

As you got playback problem when playing back certain HEVC video, I may suggest you to contact CyberLink support by submitting the video you tried.

Happy New Year,
Chuck
DELTAXX [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just got i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHZ and still PDVD 16 is having difuculity playing UHD MVK HEVC (Main10@L6.1@Main) yet Microsoft Movies & TV app in WIN 10 playing it smoothly !!!!

Quote Microsoft Movies & TV app in WIN 10 can play the UHD MVK HEVC (Main10@L6.1@Main) file much smoother than PDVD 16!!!!!!

It is obvious here if I am not mistaken the MS Movies & TV app is utilizing the new 4K smooth play features of the Kaby Lake CPU.

Cheers

Ahmed

Hi DELTAXX,

Happy New Year,
Chuck