Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blu-Ray player won't play AVC HD burned to DVD with PD 15
JoAnn W [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2010 11:18 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a relative newcomer to video editing, so please bear with me. When I used PD 11, I was able to select H264 and burn HD home video to DVD's that were playable by my Blu-Ray player. With PD 15, that option is not available. The only option now with DVD is MGEG2. I tried to select AVCHD instead of DVD, and the resulting DVD's were unplayable by the Blu-Ray player. Am I overlooking something? Or does MPEG2 produce an HD video equivalent to H264? Thank you for any advice.
[Post New]
Hi JoAnn,

What profile did you select? I guess you selected an AVCHD 2.0 profile (high frame rate/bitrate) but your BD player supports AVCHD 1.0 only. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
JoAnn W [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi JoAnn,

What profile did you select? I guess you selected an AVCHD 2.0 profile (high frame rate/bitrate) but your BD player supports AVCHD 1.0 only.

Thanks-I'll try additional settings.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Not all Bluray players will play a AVCHD DVD. Some will some won't.

Check your Bluray player's manual to see if AVCHD is listed as a playable disk.

. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JoAnn W [Avatar]
[Post New]
When I used PD 11, I could burn my home videos in AVCHD format, using 1920x1080 p format, and they play nicely in our BluRay player. Now, that I have upgraded to PD 15, the discs I have burned trying to use AVCHD at any setting, don't work. Has Cyberlink disabled this feature in subsequent versions of PD?

Quote Not all Bluray players will play a AVCHD DVD. Some will some won't.

Check your Bluray player's manual to see if AVCHD is listed as a playable disk.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
PD 15 has not removed the AVCHD in Create Disk. It is at Create Disk > 2D disk.

However, PD 15 may have some changes that, may have caused problems. I have not burned an AVCHD disk in a long time.

I usually use Bluray for HD Videos.

I would try your AVCHD disk in a newer Bluray player that supports AVCHD to see what happens. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JoAnn W [Avatar]
[Post New]
The avchd discs I burned with PD 11 will play without problem. The ones I burned with PD 15 don't play-either I get a message that my blue ray player doesn't support avchd 2.0 or the sound plays, but not the video. I think I will return PD 15 and go back to using PD11. I really don't want to buy a new blu ray player, as ours still works! I guess newer is not always the right choice for everyone! Thank you for taking the time to help me. JoAnn However, PD 15 may have some changes that, may have caused problems. I have not burned an AVCHD disk in a long time. I usually use Bluray for HD Videos. I would try your AVCHD disk in a newer Bluray player that supports AVCHD to see what happens.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When I used PD 11, I could burn my home videos in AVCHD format, using 1920x1080 p format, and they play nicely in our BluRay player.
That was the 24p progressive format in PD11.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I know what is causing the formatting problem here. Reply on an earlier thread instead of the one just above it cause the formatting issue that hopefully Cyberlink can correct.
JoAnn W [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I know what is causing the formatting problem here. Reply on an earlier thread instead of the one just above it cause the formatting issue that hopefully Cyberlink can correct.

im not sure I understand what you mean.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I know what is causing the formatting problem here. Reply on an earlier thread instead of the one just above it cause the formatting issue that hopefully Cyberlink can correct.

Doubt it, I do that all the time. More than likely what hacks the formatting is people unknowingly edit the BB code syntax when they reply to the msg leaving open code that gets carried. CL is probably simply going in and editing bad message that had the BB code syntax hack to correct. Hopefully CL will put a little effort into fixing several layout anomalies that have been reported at some point in time, until then, people could at least edit their bad message construct.

Just like here, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50705.page#post_box_266359 until CL fixes hacked BB code in the post, msg will probably be displayed in formatting error.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2016 21:51

[Post New]

Doubt it, I do that all the time. More than likely what hacks the formatting is people unknowingly edit the BB code syntax when they reply to the msg leaving open code that gets carried. CL is probably simply going in and editing bad message that had the BB code syntax hack to correct. Hopefully CL will put a little effort into fixing several layout anomalies that have been reported at some point in time, until then, people could at least edit their bad message construct.

Just like here, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50705.page#post_box_266359 until CL fixes hacked BB code in the post, msg will probably be displayed in formatting error.

Jeff

Not sure if anyone has actually given the correct answer about AVCHD here but this is what I found out a few of months ago using PD14.

Cyberlink will make an AVCHD 2.0 disc if you use XAVCS in the "PRODUCE" section of PD15.
(XAVCS appears to be the only format that has 50fps as an option)

Samsung BluRay players will not play AVCHD 2.0 discs but they will tell you that the disc is AVCHD 2.0 so Samsung knows all about it!!! Ha!

Panasonic and Sony agreed on this format of AVCHD about 11 years ago so Sony BluRay players will probably play it too.

But Samsung will not. Way to go Samsung!

But what about Cyberlink who give no indication that you are creating an AVCHD 2.0 disc and just leave you to find out your problem on your own.

Come on Cyberlink! Get your act together! Does PD15 explain this to the unsuspecting user?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2017 20:14

Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM