Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CPU not getting above 60% but video preview still stuttering
Henk66 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2016 09:30 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I've used 5 tracks, there are a few effects on some clips and up to 4 tracks overlaid at one time, when I preview it in "High Preview Resolution" it becomes progressively stuttery, it stops at some points and goes completely out of sync with the music. The project is about 1 minute long.

CPU usage never tops 60% (most of the time its closer to 30-40%), memory usage never tops 30%, disk usage hardly goes above 5%.

I have set PDR.exe to "Real Time" priority in Task Manager.

It is smoother when using integrated graphics than when running using nVidia, but generally the result is the similar. When using the nVidia 970M GPU usage hasn't topped 13%, when it stutters it falls to 0%.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Any ideas on PD settings to check or uncheck or just why the laptop isn't using the available resources?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2016 11:14

Schenker XMG P506 15.6" Pro
Intel i7-6700k 2.6 Ghz
Samsung 512GB m.2 SSD
16Gb RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 970M
Windows 10
PowerDirector 14
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've used 5 tracks, there are a few effects on some clips and up to 4 tracks overlaid at one time, when I preview it in "High Preview Resolution" it becomes progressively stuttery, it stops at some points and goes completely out of sync with the music. The project is about 1 minute long.

CPU usage never tops 60% (most of the time its closer to 30-40%), memory usage never tops 30%, disk usage hardly goes above 5%.

It is smoother when using integrated graphics than when running using nVidia, but generally the result is the similar. When using the nVidia 970M GPU usage hasn't topped 13%, when it stutters it falls to 0%.

Any ideas on PD settings to check or uncheck or just why the laptop isn't using the available resources?

Hi Henk66

This is a common problem.

You don't say what resolution the clips you are editing. However, the higher the resolution the more stuttering will occur. Also, if you use a lot of "power tools" the problem will happen.

Have a look here, you may find it useful http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46177.page. This program was written to help editors with your problem. The good thing about the program is it is totally lossless, what you put in comes out the othewr end.

See how you get on.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Henk66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Robert, I have installed it and am batch processing the files, if only I'd done this at the start, looks like I'll be rebuilding my project from scratch but it'll save time in the long run. Thanks. Schenker XMG P506 15.6" Pro
Intel i7-6700k 2.6 Ghz
Samsung 512GB m.2 SSD
16Gb RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 970M
Windows 10
PowerDirector 14
Alain II [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 20, 2015 01:34 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've used 5 tracks, there are a few effects on some clips and up to 4 tracks overlaid at one time, when I preview it in "High Preview Resolution" it becomes progressively stuttery, it stops at some points and goes completely out of sync with the music. The project is about 1 minute long.

µµ

Hi Henk,

I presume, reading the info of your Nvidia card that you use a laptop (970M)? I have the same problems with a 850M GPU laptop.

Since this is a common problem, here's what I do:

Preview in "normal view" instead of higher quality, but smaller windows. Preview NOT in real time (no sound).

When editing, add your music track at the end of your editing exercise, it slows down the system considerably. Particularly when using a lot of FX's, transitions, etc.

On laptops, the Nvidia chooses "integrated graphics" instead of GPU. I don't know why?

Seems impossible here to change to Nvidia... ???

Defragment your disks before editing, and close all programs such as browser, emailprogs, etc.

Give "HIGH" priority to PDR.exe instead of "Real Time" in Task Manager. Be sure you are not disabling the prog by closing the window! Click the right upper X not under!

I have 2 recent laptops running at 3.2 ghz and they don't fit well when several tracks, I believe they are just not fast enough to edit fast and well. The desktop computers with 6700K and a 970 GPU does the job without problems but they run at 4.2 ghz and could be overclocked?

Try what The Shadowman suggests. I will do that also later this week and inform ASAP.

Good luck.

Alain II
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

µµ

Hi Henk,

I presume, reading the info of your Nvidia card that you use a laptop (970M)? I have the same problems with a 850M GPU laptop.

Since this is a common problem, here's what I do:

Preview in "normal view" instead of higher quality, but smaller windows. Preview NOT in real time (no sound).

When editing, add your music track at the end of your editing exercise, it slows down the system considerably. Particularly when using a lot of FX's, transitions, etc.

On laptops, the Nvidia chooses "integrated graphics" instead of GPU. I don't know why?

Seems impossible here to change to Nvidia... ???

Defragment your disks before editing, and close all programs such as browser, emailprogs, etc.

Give "HIGH" priority to PDR.exe instead of "Real Time" in Task Manager. Be sure you are not disabling the prog by closing the window! Click the right upper X not under!

I have 2 recent laptops running at 3.2 ghz and they don't fit well when several tracks, I believe they are just not fast enough to edit fast and well. The desktop computers with 6700K and a 970 GPU does the job without problems but they run at 4.2 ghz and could be overclocked?

Try what The Shadowman suggests. I will do that also later this week and inform ASAP.

Good luck.

Alain II

The only disadvantage with using Magic is that the AVI files it creates for editing are about ten times larger than an MP4. The idea is that you delete them when your project is finished.

You are probably already doing this, but if you are batch processing it is a good idea to create two new dedicated folders. One for camera to Magic, and one for Magic to PowerDirector. This keeps it clean, and easy to find the files you want to delete.

You will also find that Magic creates the AVIs about 8 times faster than PD creates shadow files.

Good luck with it

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Henk66 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys, MagicPD really is the way ahead, if only I had processed all my files before starting this project. Anyway I should be good for next time. Preview is working a lot better as I rebuild my project with .avi files from MagicPD!

Alain, yes it is a 970M. I can't put the music video on afterwards as I in many parts lip syncing video footage to the music, it's for a music video. But no problems now thanks to Shadowmans suggestion of MagicPD.

Alain are you having issues with PD not using the 850? I resolved this for my 970M using instructions from PepsiMan here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48595.page#254603 Schenker XMG P506 15.6" Pro
Intel i7-6700k 2.6 Ghz
Samsung 512GB m.2 SSD
16Gb RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 970M
Windows 10
PowerDirector 14