Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 16 Feature Suggestions (Wish List) - December 4, 2016 Submission Deadline
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Dear PowerDirector Users,

One of the forum members started a PowerDirector 16 wish list thread, which you can see here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50265.page. The compiled suggestion list, as of this posting, is below.

Believe it or not, the planning phase for version 16 is coming to an end, as the development begins.

With that in mind, please submit all your feature suggestions for version 16 in this thread before end of day (USA Pacific Time) on Sunday, December 4. They will all get submitted to the project manager and reviewed by the development team.

We want to stress that there is no guarantee that your suggestions will get implemented, but we can guarantee that RD will review them. So please enter them below!

Cheers,

PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 05. 2016 03:37

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Current Wish List:

Jab73180

- ability to bulk unlink audio and perform bulk video speed adjustments.

Badtoe

- improve the clip trimming process to improve workflow. Click the clip in the media list to show it in the preview and trim there before inserting into timeline

Eugen157

- Ability to author and burn UHD BR discs PLEASE

Chiedu

- Ability to draw straight lines in Paint designer.

- draw circles & squares too.

- able to determine the length of time the item takes to get drawn.

- Also being able to have easing in/out out of Keyframes set to on by default

TeeMan1

- The ability to create permanent Tags/Folders that will help to organize my media files. Putting lots of mixed media (video, audio, photo, etc) in one folder and then having to sort through them is a real pain.

- ability to add sequences within a project instead of having to create a new project file for each time I want a new sequence.

BarryTheCrab

- The ability to choose multiple clips to apply fixes/enhances at the same time. The current "Apply to all" is too limiting.

- Next, the ability to alter the volume level of the disc menu music. Is it re-e-e-a-a-al-l-y that difficult?

GGRussell

- more control in the Produce custom Profile dialog box.

1 - choice for constant FPS and variable FPS

2 - Choice for constant CBR and variable VPR vs Avg ABR

3 - choice for changing GOP pattern

4 - would be nice to control i frame vs IDR frames this could make seeking the H.264 file easier and more responsive in the player

5 - MP4 does support 5.1 audio so why doesn't PD15? Even my home camcorder has 5.1, but I can't output to MP4 because PD doesn't support it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2016 04:57

- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
What a poor way to limit input: cut short the notice. Unfortunately this type of action is not a surprise. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
Hello,

Thanks for your comment.

Previously, no notice was given. The planning stage for PowerDirector has always ended around the same time, so any suggestions provided after November were rarely going to be added to the next version. We know that PowerDirector users were not aware of this before, so we wanted to make them aware now.

We will start a new thread for future versions after the deadline, and have it available going forward.

Note that RD will monitor these threads on going and there is always a possibility that small changes/suggestions get incorporated sooner.

We are trying to improve the communication here between users and CyberLink RD and shed more light on what happens at CyberLink. So we hope making users aware of the software development cycle is the first step.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

TeeMan1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 03, 2014 01:41 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Current Wish List:

Jab73180

Badtoe

- improve the clip trimming process to improve workflow. Click the clip in the media list to show it in the preview and trim there before inserting into timeline

Eugen157

Chiedu

BarryTheCrab

- The ability to choose multiple clips to apply fixes/enhances at the same time. The current "Apply to all" is too limiting.

- Next, the ability to alter the volume level of the disc menu music. Is it re-e-e-a-a-al-l-y that difficult?

GGRussell

4 - would be nice to control i frame vs IDR frames this could make seeking the H.264 file easier and more responsive in the player

5 - MP4 does support 5.1 audio so why doesn't PD15? Even my home camcorder has 5.1, but I can't output to MP4 because PD doesn't support it.

TeeMan1

1. The ability to create permanent tags/folders in the Media Room in which to place specific assets. For instance, if I am working on a project and I've got 10 different video shots, 40 or so music audio tracks for bumper music, 50 photographs, I would like to categorize them in their own respective folder just like I would do on my computer.

2. In MultiCam Designer, another option added to the audio source choices that would allow "audio to follow the video" selection. This is extremely important when you have two or more clips that actually sync in MCD but you may have a clip on camera 1 that may have only been recorded for 5 or 10 minutes and then is recorded another 5 or 10 minutes later in the sequence. MultiCam would then show the other tracks which you can click on but because you have "hard picked" the source for audio (e.g., Camera 2", it does not change when you switch to another camera.

3. In the project timelime, the ability to add a new sequence as part of that project instead of having to create a whole new project and then import it back into the project. For instance, if I've got a project that has say 4 different sections, it would be great to be able to access one or all of the sections while working in the same project.

4. Realizing that there are very minor changes/additions between versions, an UPDATED User's Manual that is easy to locate on the Cyberlink site in PDF woudl be great. Ditto for all of CL's products. The last manual I can find anywhere is for PD 13.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 30. 2016 18:43

TeeMan
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Video groups - really miss this from my former video editor. Ability to 'group' several tracks that then act as one single track on the timeline. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
Already by far in 2014 I had suggested the topic and with so many users had enthusiastically participated with our contributions.Few things were accepted, then I suggest you review what had been asked.

Nel lontano 2014 avevo suggerito questo topic e con molti utenti abbiamo entusiasticamente partecipato con i nostri contributi. Pochi suggerimenti sono stati accettati, quindi suggerisco che vengano riviste quelle richieste. W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

1. Custom freehand masking

2. The ability to Produce to an alpha channel file

And of course a PD Professional suite with professional titles and graphics etc etc to rival FCPX and the rest Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

PD15 manuals is here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/userguide_en_AU.html

Quote Current Wish List:

Jab73180

Badtoe

Eugen157

Chiedu

BarryTheCrab

GGRussell

TeeMan1

1. The ability to create permanent tags/folders in the Media Room in which to place specific assets. For instance, if I am working on a project and I've got 10 different video shots, 40 or so music audio tracks for bumper music, 50 photographs, I would like to categorize them in their own respective folder just like I would do on my computer.

2. In MultiCam Designer, another option added to the audio source choices that would allow "audio to follow the video" selection. This is extremely important when you have two or more clips that actually sync in MCD but you may have a clip on camera 1 that may have only been recorded for 5 or 10 minutes and then is recorded another 5 or 10 minutes later in the sequence. MultiCam would then show the other tracks which you can click on but because you have "hard picked" the source for audio (e.g., Camera 2", it does not change when you switch to another camera.

3. In the project timelime, the ability to add a new sequence as part of that project instead of having to create a whole new project and then import it back into the project. For instance, if I've got a project that has say 4 different sections, it would be great to be able to access one or all of the sections while working in the same project.

4. Realizing that there are very minor changes/additions between versions, an UPDATED User's Manual that is easy to locate on the Cyberlink site in PDF woudl be great. Ditto for all of CL's products. The last manual I can find anywhere is for PD 13.
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a hobbyist who has been using Magix's Movie Edit Pro to make short youtube's since 2011. I am now using MEP 2016 - and more recently, DaVinci Resolve 12.5.3. I am happy with both, but decided to buy PD 15 Ultra on a Black Friday sale to experience PD's legendary speed.

My suggestion for Cyberlink is of a general nature.

My impression is that PD is not very user friendly. At least, not as intuitive as MEP or Resolve. So while PowerDirector is famous in the reviews for speed, I suggest that it is a bit unwieldy to steer. What good is fast if it's frustrating to drive?

Now, as an Engineer myself, I know that Engineers often concentrate on performance - on the engine under the hood. We often forget that regular people, who didn't design our software, have to use it. So even if the video engine is fast but the interface slows the user down, then the whole experience is "slow."

So I suggest that the Software Engineers invite a few users to use PowerDirector to make a short (10 to 20 minute) video and watch as users struggle to do the most basic things. Perhaps go to a shopping mall and invite people to make a video. You could even give them the assets and show them what you would like the finished render to look like, to see if they can figure things out on their own. The goal is to make PD as easy to use as an Apple product.

If you want an example of brilliant thinking, check out the way the time line works in Resolve. The program knows when you want to ripple, overwrite, etc. (And it's free - and fast too. So you have some major competition.)

While I'm hesitant to say that Cyberlink should copy what DaVinci has done, they have done a good job. Your Engineers might get some fresh ideas looking at the competition.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 04. 2016 01:54

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The goal is to make PD as easy to use as an Apple product.
Not! if I wanted a Mac, I would have bought one. I don't use Adobe products because they were designed on and for a Mac. Apple products are not intuitive for 'everyone'.