Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Downgrade in quality...is this due to lens profiling?
Trekz [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 16, 2016 00:32 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
Everyting besides the beginning was shot in 4k at 23.96fps with a DJI Phantom 3 Professional. After producing it on PD15, I noticed the quality was a little off compared to the footage that didn't have the lens correction. Midway in the video, there are little circular streaks around the bottom corners. It just doesn't seem that clean compared to the pre PD15 color graded footage. Since the lens profile only supports DJi osmo + DJi advanced, the osmo profile was chosen because it corrected the horizontal problem. Is the degration of quality due to this lens profile? I'm outputting it at 4k 23.96fps, so the quality is supposed to be the same as the color graded footage. Where do I even find a lens profile for the phantom 3 professional? The camera is an " FC300X " exactly. How do I get a cleaner video?

Edit: Check the bottom right area. It is subtle, but it is still there. How do I even get rid of that?

Please Help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpI33142oRE

Comparison:

http://imgur.com/a/S7H1s

Edit 11/05/16 Comparison Video: Color Banding is due to the lens correction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rBnJU_gy4&feature=youtu.be

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 05. 2016 16:25

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ............................ Where do I even find a lens profile for the phantom 3 professional? The camera is an " FC300X " exactly. .................................
Can't help directly, but if you head over to the DZ there are lens profiles to download - unfortunately not specifically for the FC300X, only for the FC300S - but you could use the email box to ask for your specific profile??
[Thumb - DZ lens profile.PNG]
 Filename
DZ lens profile.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Director Zone lens profiles for DJI
 Filesize
205 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
65 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Nov 04. 2016 15:00

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Trekz -

I can help out a little here. PDR/DZ don't have specific lens profiles for the FC300X, but Photoshop does. There's no
obvious difference between the profiles, so using the DJI Phantom3 Advanced profile in PDR will provide the right correction.

The attached screenshots show a clip from DJI P3 Pro in Ps: 1. RAW 2. with FC300S appplied 3. with FC300X applied.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - DJI P3 RAW.png]
 Filename
DJI P3 RAW.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2774 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
53 time(s)
[Thumb - DJI P3 FC300S.png]
 Filename
DJI P3 FC300S.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2754 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
56 time(s)
[Thumb - DJI P3 FC300X.png]
 Filename
DJI P3 FC300X.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2745 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
56 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 09. 2016 02:21

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Trekz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote ............................ Where do I even find a lens profile for the phantom 3 professional? The camera is an " FC300X " exactly. .................................
Can't help directly, but if you head over to the DZ there are lens profiles to download - unfortunately not specifically for the FC300X, only for the FC300S - but you could use the email box to ask for your specific profile??
Thank you all.^ I already saw the s/x version, but when it came down to the videos, I preferred the DJi osmo lens profile since it straightened out my horizon better than the dji advance profile. One thing I noticed though is that there are some circular black silhouettes after the lens correction has been applied. Any idea as to how to remove this? EDIT: Please check this imgur link: http://imgur.com/a/S7H1s

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 05. 2016 01:41

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again Trekz -

A couple of things:

1. Your eyes must be way better than mine because I can't see the "circular black silhouettes", unless you mean the slight banding in the water below the surfer.

2. One screen shot is from Movies & TV (Win10) & the other is from YouTube. YouTube has obviously processed the video brighter than the original. That's going to have an impact.

If you could post screenshots from PDR or your media player that would be a more acurate comparison.

Cheers - Tony
Trekz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi again Trekz -

A couple of things:

1. Your eyes must be way better than mine because I can't see the "circular black silhouettes", unless you mean the slight banding in the water below the surfer.

2. One screen shot is from Movies & TV (Win10) & the other is from YouTube. YouTube has obviously processed the video brighter than the original. That's going to have an impact.

If you could post screenshots from PDR or your media player that would be a more acurate comparison.

Cheers - Tony

Thank you for letting me know what I was looking for: color banding. I had no idea what that was, but I noticed these subtle "bands." Now I have to figure out how to correct that. Thanks. Now how do I remove the banding?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Is the banding present in the produced file on your PC, or does is only show up when viewing on YouTube? As mentioned above, YouTube processing appears to have significantly altered the colours/white balance. At pixel level, it's as stark as this:

Could you please post screenshots from the same source i.e. PDR or media player?

Cheers - Tony
Trekz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Is the banding present in the produced file on your PC, or does is only show up when viewing on YouTube? As mentioned above, YouTube processing appears to have significantly altered the colours/white balance. At pixel level, it's as stark as this:

Could you please post screenshots from the same source i.e. PDR or media player?

Cheers - Tony

First off thank you all again for taking the time to review over this problem. YouTube doesn't seem to be the problem here. Here is a side by side comparison. How do I get the correct lens correction without it tainting the video with color banding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rBnJU_gy4&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Trekz -

After running a number of tests with different DJI P3 clips, I can find no evidence that applying an appropriate lens profile has any detrimental imapact on image quality. No banding or noticeable issues.

You mentioned colour grading: Is the degration of quality due to this lens profile? I'm outputting it at 4k 23.96fps, so the quality is supposed to be the same as the color graded footage?

In the colour grading process, did you apply any LUTs? or were you referring to basic colour adjustment? What software was used? PDR? CDR? Other? I've seen banding artifacts when LUTs have been applied.

Is it possible for you to upload a short 5-10 sec sample clip from your P3? and describe what adjustments you made before doing lens correction?

Cheers - Tony
Trekz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Trekz -

After running a number of tests with different DJI P3 clips, I can find no evidence that applying an appropriate lens profile has any detrimental imapact on image quality. No banding or noticeable issues.

You mentioned colour grading: Is the degration of quality due to this lens profile? I'm outputting it at 4k 23.96fps, so the quality is supposed to be the same as the color graded footage?

In the colour grading process, did you apply any LUTs? or were you referring to basic colour adjustment? What software was used? PDR? CDR? Other? I've seen banding artifacts when LUTs have been applied.

Is it possible for you to upload a short 5-10 sec sample clip from your P3? and describe what adjustments you made before doing lens correction?

Cheers - Tony

I used Sony Catalyst Browse to color correct it. The lens correction absolutely affects it, so how do I repair that please?

In case you missed it, here is the comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rBnJU_gy4&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
[Post New]
"In case you missed it" I can find no evidence that applying a lens correction profile causes banding or other visual artifacts. My tests did NOT involve colour grading or other processing first. The clips used were straight off the camera.

My point was that the grading process combined with lens correction may have resulted in what you've got.

I doubt you can correct it now, but (for future reference) you might try: Lens correction followed by colour grading.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2016 01:56

Trekz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote "In case you missed it" I can find no evidence that applying a lens correction profile causes banding or other visual artifacts. My tests did NOT involve colour grading or other processing first. The clips used were straight off the camera.

My point was that the grading process combined with lens correction may have resulted in what you've got.

I doubt you can correct it now, but (for future reference) you might try: Lens correction followed by colour grading.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks. It might have just been the color correction then.

Since we are arleady on the roll here for lens correction.....

If I'm not getting banding, I'm getting these white bleeding on the sides after applying it. You can check it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_uMPedJO8U&feature=youtu.be . ...