Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 13 Super Slow Rendering - Solved...A Real Headscratcher
[Post New]
Having rendering speed problems...and trouble figuring out how to explain.

here's a screen shot of the timing. It's taken 16 minutes to get to this time elapse point. This is a 55 minute program. At the rate this is rendering, it looks to me like it's going to take over 55 hours to render? Or am I looking at this wrong? Hope I'm making myself clear...

speed image

And after all this time, the rendering arrow has not moved and still shows 0% rendered... Hope someone can help. Here's my computer specs...

computer specs

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 27. 2016 19:15

Dustie
I'm still working on it....
[Post New]
Ok...now it's been rendering for 40 minutes. If I'm reading this right, it's going to take 55 hours to render??? This can't be normal? It's only a 55 minute program. What am I doing wrong?

rendering

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2016 14:02

Dustie
[Post New]
It's now taken 2 hours 20 minutes to produce 2 hours and 20 minutes of a 52 minute movie...only 50 hours to go now, at this rate. And not even 1% has been reached on the producing line. This is crazy slow.... I've
tried canceling it and producing it in different formats...doesn't matter. I'm so stumped. I'd hate to go back to PD11. Can anyone help?

producing slow

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 27. 2016 15:47

Dustie
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See this post. A user is said that his 3 min. 1080p30 video takes more than 2 hours to produce and now only 7 minutes to produce and don’t know why: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50/48902.page .

The answer is yes. It could take 55 hours to render 55 min. of video if you accidently chose the wrong file format to produce such as 4k h.265. Could you tell us what is the produced file settings and what are the source files resolution, bit rate, and format such as 3840 x 2160, xavs 100 Mbps, h.264.

Give us the details. Maybe we can help you to render that in 2 hours.
[Post New]
Tomasc..thanks for trying to help.

OK...cancelled the current rendering. It's been 5 hours now and have only gotten 5 minutes ... Need to find the answer.

Was trying to use H.264/MP4 1080 x 1920 24p 16mbps

Been using this same setting to render quick clips...30 sec to a minute for stock video and it usually produces in just a few minutes. At this current rate it would mean my 45 second vids should take 45 minutes and they dont...at least they didn't using PD11.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 27. 2016 18:48

Dustie
[Post New]
Decided to give a short 30 second clip a try to see if it would take a long time to render. While looking for one on my hard drive I couldn't get any of my videos to play, either in PD or in Media Player. The message when I tried to open them said that the file format could not be read. I've never had trouble watching any of them before.

So I did what I always do when I'm truly stuck. I rebooted the computer and now all can be read and the rendering on PD is back to normal. Don't know what the problem was...it's a real head scratcher...but a reboot fixed it. I would have bet you a reboot would have nothing to do with the rendering of a video in PD...but I would have been wrong. So glad it's not the new PD13!

I'm getting off now so I can do the happy dance! happy dance

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 27. 2016 19:50

Dustie
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Your produce settings should be okay as stated.

By stock video do you mean commercial stock video such as 1080p25 or 30 in the mov format as the source files? Also can you attach a screenshot of the properties/details or mediainfo on one of your source video files.

More than likely the C drive is running out of hard drive free space. You are producing say 8 GB on D drive which has 341 GB free but may need 100 GB free on your windows drive which is drive C for temp files. This can cause the symptoms you describe whereby short projects render fast as you have stated.
[Post New]
Tomasc,

Read the post above and you'll see I fixed the problem...but I believe you solved my head scratching on how I did it.

I'll never have 100 GB free on my C drive, since it's just a 95GB drive...It's partitioned into three drives, a small C (OS), and then a D and an F, both with 500 Gb. One of these days I'm going to try to figure out how to repartition then, but haven't done it yet. I'm afraid to mess something up.

Could be though, that so much was open on my computer, rebooting freed up enough space to allow the program to run normally. That would explain why rebooting the computer worked. I've moved about all I dare to move from the OS drive so I'll just have to reboot more often until I can figure out how to re-partition the drives.

Thanks so much for all your help Tomasc!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2016 20:00

Dustie
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: so I'll just have to reboot more often until I can figure out how to repartition the drives.

Thanks so much for all your help Tomasc!
Re-partition is a destructive process. Do Images of each of your current Partitions.

Then you can Partition anyway you want. You usually can restore the backed up partitions to new locations.

All of that depends on the Image software you are using.

The Computer Manager in Windows is capable of re-partitioning a drive. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Thanks Carl. I'd just like to take 100 GB and give it to the OS drive. The word destructive sounds scary though... I'll just have to think on it. Maybe this winter when I've more time to study up on the situation
Dustie
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Carl. I'd just like to take 100 GB and give it to the OS drive. The word destructive sounds scary though... I'll just have to think on it. Maybe this winter when I've more time to study up on the situation
Destructive means that everything on the hard drive will be deleted. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
So how do I save all my programs, like Windows and the like, or do I? Guess maybe I won't be doing that after all. Can I move programs from my C drive, to my D drive, like Adobe Photoshop which takes a lot of memoriy?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 28. 2016 23:50

Dustie
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Dustie, take a look at Partition Magic. I believe that can resize partitions non-destructively. I've used it to increase the size of my OS partition to provide extra workspace for Power Director. If I remember correctly it can only move partition boundaries where there is free space on the disk so the best approach would be to back up your D and F drives onto an external hard drive or thumb drive then you can delete the data in the partitions you want to work on. You can safely increase the size of the Windows partition by moving the boundary without affecting your Windows installation.

When I built my system I originally did something similar to you. I made the OS partition, C, just a bit bigger than was needed for Windows and Program Files then subsequently needed to increase it as described above. I copied the entire contents of the second partition onto an external drive, cleared the space so that I could move the partition boundary, then copied the data back.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2016 07:51

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
[Post New]
Fenman, thank you! I will definitely check out that program. Seems like that will be the way to go! Thanks again! Dustie
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: So how do I save all my programs, like Windows and the like, or do I? Guess maybe I won't be doing that after all. Can I move programs from my C drive, to my D drive, like Adobe Photoshop which takes a lot of memoriy?
Make an image of the hard drive before you do anything.

There are several Disk Image programs, From free to several Dollars.

Western Digital has a free program included with some of their Backup external Disks.

I use Acronis True Image. If you search on Google you can find a free trial. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can I move programs from my C drive, to my D drive, like Adobe Photoshop which takes a lot of memoriy?

You can't just move programs across because the information about them is stored in the Windows registry and Windows would then not know where to find them. However Windows does allow you to install programs in other than the default locations. The choice of location is offered during the installation of the application. The registry will then contain the correct references. So if you wanted to do that you would need to uninstall the programs first then reinstall in the new location.

With regard to Photoshop you can tell it the partition(s) to use for it's scratch disk(s). I'm using a very old version so can't tell you exactly how yours will work. I access mine through Preferences > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks and it just allows me to set the disk letter for the scratch disk (but not a particular folder, it presumably creates one of it's own). Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
[Post New]
Thanks you guys. I'm bookmarking this thread until I'm ready to attempt this daunting task. ; Wish I could just absorb your knowledge on all this, or that I was younger and could just go back to school and learn all about how computers work! Either way would work for me! Dustie