Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Another user with crashes
DigitalMan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Pennsylvania Joined: May 17, 2016 10:06 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Been searching for a decent video editor and finally settled on PowerDirector for the power and features. It seems to be the only application that does everything I need. So I purchased the Ultimate edition and started to play. However now I'm pretty bummed out since it's crashed twice on me. And I mean hard crash where it just freezes to where you can't even move the mouse cursor and have to hard power off the computer. Not good. The first time it happened I was doing something in the timeline. The second time I was just saving the project. It got to 60% and froze completely. I do not like powering off my computer without a proper shutdown. I checked and I have the latest build (2820). I'm running Windows 10 Home 64bit. I'm a software developer and have not had any problems with this PC before now. I have 32GB ram and plenty of hard drive space. My windows drive is an SSD and my project files are on a regular drive. CPU is SkyLake i7-6700K 4.00 GHz. Running a single AMD Radeon R9 200 with 16.3.2 Crimson drivers. Also I'm using a Dell U3415W at 3440 X 1440. Hopefully someone has an answer.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the forum, DigitalMan.

Your machine should indeed more than cope with this.

However, what you don't say is what the properties of the material you are attempting to edit are.

In particular, what is the resolution and frame rate? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This Dell computer may have a reset button so powering down may not be necessary. I have found that moving the mouse and keyboard to a different usb port can help. Updating the video driver can also help.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
My computer is not nearly as capable as yours and I've had no problems with PD12 or PD14. I'm not editing 4k files, though. As Shadowman said, what are you editing? Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using the latest version of windows 10 which is

I use windows 10 Pro 1511 o/s build 10586.318

Maybe win Home 10 64bit is different
have you installed the latest build 1511
Tom G

Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
DigitalMan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good questions. Well right now just 5 static photos and a single small video from my phone camera. Not a complicated project. I have the latest stable graphics drivers although there is a beta update. I have the latest windows updates. Don't think it's a USB issue when it crashes. It's totally frozen. No CRT-ALT-DELETE, no nothing. But I will try unplugging mouse and keyboard and plugging back in next time. Back to the project, I have a single underlying mps audio file, 5 jpgs that are around 5344 X 3008. Assumed I didn't need to scale them and that PD would do all that for me. The video is an mp4 though I believe the first crash happened with only static pics.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
The Jpegs are huge and probably contribute to your problem.

As an experiment, try doing the same edit with your preview quality set to "non real time" mode. There will be no audio with mode, but it will probably work. If it does work, work your way up the preview quality levels to see what works for you. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I had problems with my computer suddenly crashing. After much troubleshooting and searching, I finally solved the crashing problem.

It turned out to be the first RAM Module has errors in the low portion of the Address Space. (All RAM tests showed good)

I swapped the first RAM Module with the Last Ram Module. I no longer have crashing.

My computer has four RAM slots. Took Slot #1, put it in Slot #4. Slot #4 went to Slot #1.

The other way would have been to buy all new RAM modules ($$$).

Nothing else in this computer was changed. Just swap the RAM modules.

I hope that helps somebody.

Carl Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Carl,

Was your computer crashing only with PD, or with other programs as well? Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
kmjk333 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 16, 2016 02:23 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: AMD Radeon R9 200.

I only see 210 video card. What is your exact model number? If 210, that is almost 3 years and considered "entry-level". You may need to upgrade as my thought.

You upgraded your CPU and RAM, but forgot about the hardware to do your work, the video card

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2016 16:51

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl,

Was your computer crashing only with PD, or with other programs as well?
It crashed at random times, just moving the mouse would cause a Blue Screen of Death. It was one of the BSOD that gave the error message of Memory problems. That is when I ran Memory tests. None of the tests came back with errors, except when I try to restrict the address to the lowest memory area. The test basically would not run in the low memory area.

It would crash with any program or just Internet Explorer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2016 22:41

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I've had a similar experience as Carl's - random crashing gradually getting worse when the computer was stressed. In my case the Mobo/Ram was causing the BSOD, one of the paired Ram slots when used, resulted in a BSOD. A new mobo resolved the issue. The main problem is trying to locate the cause - pulling out hardware is the only way but doesn't guarentee the event will happen for you to find it.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2016 03:16

kmjk333 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 16, 2016 02:23 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
"I'm running Windows 10 Home 64bit"

If you want to take the time to find out who is the trouble maker, you should have an entry in Windows Event Viewer.

I don't have win10 but I think it is similar to win7. When your program crashed, make note of the exact time of this crash. Windows has the entry of crash stored. Follow the win7 instructions below. Looking for the "details' report at the exact time of your crash.

Win7

*repeat your crash or error but note the exact time of the problem.

Go to your Desktop.

right click "my computer", then click "manage".

The "computer Management" window should now pop up on your desktop.

You should see an entry called "Event Viewer"

Hightlight Event Viewer and click the arrow on the left side of event viewer.

You should see entry called "Windows Logs"

Click on the arrow on the left to open up Windows Logs.

Note the "exact time" of your error.

Click on the following one at a time and look for an entry at the time of your error:

Application

Security

Setup

System

You should be able to find something in those logs at the exact time of your error.

Post back what you find. Copy/paste the error or entry in the topic.

DigitalMan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: AMD Radeon R9 200.

I only see 210 video card. What is your exact model number? If 210, that is almost 3 years and considered "entry-level". You may need to upgrade as my thought.

You upgraded your CPU and RAM, but forgot about the hardware to do your work, the video card

Gfx is specifically a Sapphire AMD Radeon R 290X TriX OC. I think it's more than powerful enough. Just built this PC back in December. Maybe was just a hiccup as it hasn't crashed since the second time. Found there's another BIOS update for my mobo so will update that as well.
DigitalMan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, event viewer was the first place I checked. Nothing definitive. No crashes since the 2nd crash. Am going to apply the latest mobo bios update from last week and hope for the best. But again but only happen in PD. Nothing else was crashing including opening 50+ hi res photos in PS Elements and processing them all1 or 3D gaming.

Dan

Quote: "I'm running Windows 10 Home 64bit"

If you want to take the time to find out who is the trouble maker, you should have an entry in Windows Event Viewer.

I don't have win10 but I think it is similar to win7. When your program crashed, make note of the exact time of this crash. Windows has the entry of crash stored. Follow the win7 instructions below. Looking for the "details' report at the exact time of your crash.

Win7

*repeat your crash or error but note the exact time of the problem.

Go to your Desktop.

right click "my computer", then click "manage".

The "computer Management" window should now pop up on your desktop.

You should see an entry called "Event Viewer"

Hightlight Event Viewer and click the arrow on the left side of event viewer.

You should see entry called "Windows Logs"

Click on the arrow on the left to open up Windows Logs.

Note the "exact time" of your error.

Click on the following one at a time and look for an entry at the time of your error:

Application

Security

Setup

System

You should be able to find something in those logs at the exact time of your error.

Post back what you find. Copy/paste the error or entry in the topic.

DigitalMan [Avatar]
[Post New]
So it just happened again. I was dragging about 10 items from the media library to the timeline, some photos and some small videos. It froze completely. Unplugging mouse/keyboard and plugging back in made no difference. Had to hard reset. Checked the event log right away and nothing. It's like it didn't even have a chance to write to the log it froze so completely.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please provide
1. a full diagnostic of your computer,
2. a screenshot of the project insitu (if you get that far) in the Edit workspace.
3. Data/MediaInfo of the media you're importing into PowerDirector.
4. a video recording of the event as it happens, if possible.

Please submit your issue to CyberLink online support and then provide me with your support ticket ID. I'll ask CyberLink to investigate and with the additional information they'll have something to go on.

Please see guides Part A, B, E, F and J as to how to present the requested data. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page
Dafydd
DigitalMan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Please provide
1. a full diagnostic of your computer,
2. a screenshot of the project insitu (if you get that far) in the Edit workspace.
3. Data/MediaInfo of the media you're importing into PowerDirector.
4. a video recording of the event as it happens, if possible.

Please submit your issue to CyberLink online support and then provide me with your support ticket ID. I'll ask CyberLink to investigate and with the additional information they'll have something to go on.

Please see guides Part A, B, E, F and J as to how to present the requested data. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page
Dafydd

Thanks. Did all this and used my phone camera to take a video while doing the operation. However it didn't crash this time doing the same thing. Is it worth sending all this information in for a ticket if it didn't crash? If it's random with no event log messages would you think it's a ram problem? Although it's only this program causing the issue. I did run a mem test months ago and was fine but only ran it for about an hour. Could run again all day if needed.
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Did you try what I suggested in post 7? If you can run trouble free doing that, it would suggest it's not your memory, but the sheer size of your work. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
DigitalMan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I resized all the photos to 1280 X 720. And if that's the case I've done huge projects with Windows Movie Maker with no issues before. This PD project is under 5 mins so far.

Quote: Did you try what I suggested in post 7? If you can run trouble free doing that, it would suggest it's not your memory, but the sheer size of your work.