Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD11 - video glitches (blips) in produced videos
tspnyc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2013 09:18 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.

I am very frustrated with an issue. When I am in PD11 and have more than one track, I see little video glitches where the visual "jumps" for a fraction of a second. And it shows up in the finished video.

In detail: I shoot camcorder video of an acoustic giutar, which I then sync to a .wav soundtrack file.

If I "produce" a video of just the video (to MP4 at 1080P) it is not an issue.

Once I add the soundtrack file to the timeline the glitches begin to appear. It is only here and there but it is annoying and looks unprofessional.

I am afraid it is a compatibility issue with a new computer.

I am using a Sager (Clevo) gaming laptop.

i7-4690K 4.00GHz, 32 GB RAM

Wndows 8.1

The graphics card is GTX980M

Solid State hard drive, and I am running the program on it, saving to it, and all the source files are on it. I have tried rendering to an external drive and that has no affect.

But my previous Sager had no issues at all with PD11.

I had the issue with the new computer from the moment I installed PD11 programs. Due to some unrelated issues with the document indexer, I completely reformated the hard drive, reinstalled Windows 8.1, reinstalled PD11, and the problem continues.

Here is an example video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AqrKwPlt6s

A glitch is seen at 2.42 in the video and a really bad one, with a very noticable jerk that seems to have two images from different times was covered up by my blacking out the last moments of the performance.

Ths is a very small glitch compared to some, so I am unable to complete any more vidoes until I get this fixed.

And I will make clear, I see the glitches in the preview window. It is almost like some sort of electric interference is causing it, but they actually render into the finished video.

I have tried this just on battery power and plugged into different locations.

I have not been able to make any video since it started that does not have these sorts of glitches happening.

This is an insanely expensive laptop, so it simply is unacceptible it cannot render simple videos perfectly.

But I am hoping it might be something easily fixed before I update to Windows 10.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2015 17:22

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
First, you have done well on that YT video. It is a very good presentation on the guitar. Most of us only stare at our own created videos to find such problems.

The encoding glitch is found. See the attached screenshot. There are many things that would cause a new computer to exhibit the problems you describe. One is your choice of a security package. See this link for details: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45414.page . Update the Quicktime to version 7.7.8.

Try this: Go Preferences/Hardware acceleration and uncheck Enable hardware decoding and click okay. That should fix it. If not then uncheck both of the checkboxes and produce your project with the Fast video rendering technology unchecked. Produce with cpu rendering only.

Let us know if these steps fixes your problem.
[Thumb - Guitar Glitch.jpg]
 Filename
Guitar Glitch.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Glitch show missing data in horizontal scan lines at 02:42
 Filesize
176 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
75 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2015 10:53

tspnyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am very happy to report that it appears you have solved my issue.

I was ready to send the laptop back.

But turning off Hardware Acceleration does seem to have stopped the glitches! I have never had the other part checked, nor do I ever use the fast rendering setting.

So, I was surprised when my latest audio sync vid had no glitches. I shall continue to make some vids over the next two days to make sure!

Thanks for the fast reply.
tspnyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Alas, I spoke too soon. The anomolies persist. I am now going to start playing hardball with the site that sold me this expensive lemon of a laptop.

I have no issues like this on any other computer I have used PowerDirector on, and when I downloaded the trial version of PD14 it was clear it happened there too.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
While it may seem unrelated, it won't hurt to test another video driver - from the card or chip manufacturer's WEBsite.

http://geforce.com/drivers (NVidia)
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download (AMD)
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics (Intel)

If problems arise, roll back to the prior driver via CONTROL PANEL|DEVICE MGR|DISPLAY ADAPTERS|<your adapter name>|DRIVERS tab.
tspnyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I AM being told I have the most recent driver.

But I am also being told by Xotic PC that I have had the laptop too long to return it (even if that includes 6 weeks of it being returned to Sager to deal with the broken headphone jack.)

So I am willing to try anything.

Thanks
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Folks seem to regard the "latest" driver as the best, but that's not necessarily the case, even though they allegedly are backwards compatible. The driver that was current when PD11 was released may work better than later incarnations. Many, though not all, "improvements" are directed at gamers.

I suggest that you try this driver, which was one of the last that enabled PD11 to use certain GPU features on specific file types, with video cards less capable than yours. Newer drivers/cards handle things differently. The corrected URL...

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/75994/en-us

It should not cause problems. Roll-back, if it does.
(Also, try various preview resolutions within PD itself, though I understand that the issue shows up in the produced file.)

As noted, this may not be your problem at all, but it's worth a go in the interest of troubleshooting. Others feel your pain. ^_^

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 21. 2015 00:34

tspnyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sadly, I am told that driver is incompatible and will not load.

Thanks for the effort.

Also when I try to use PowerDirector 14 it seems to have even more jumps and glitches.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2015 19:07

borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Likely not the fix, but it was worth a thought. Others may chime in.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi tspnyc

tomasc was on the mark when he said to turn on the Hardware Acceleration (it's fast when producing but can cause glitches exactly like that), and borgus1 had the right idea by pointing you to the best older driver. Unfortunately, he linked to the XP version which is why it won't load!

Here's the Win8.1 version of that *driver* for laptops/notebooks. Since you have such a new GPU, you might need to use this *version* which was the first to support the 980m.

Let us know if you can successfully load at least one of these drivers, and if that helps at all with the glitch.

EDIT: I just watched the video and I'm certain that the glitch there was caused by hardware encoding. To be perfectly honest, I was a bit disappointed at the graininess of the guitar playing sections. That's also a possible outcome of hardware encoding so CPU rendering should help. You might also want to try a higher bit rate on the production format. Which one did you produce to?

I did want to mention that the sound was fantastic in headphones, and it was obvious that you had very nice 2 mics

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 20. 2015 23:31

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tspnyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Eureka! That driver did seem to solve the issue. I will make more videos to make sure.

I used the first one, not the 980 one.

Now my question is, will this driver work in Windows 10? I see my free upgrade is now available.

For that matter, will PD11 Ultra work in Windows 10???

The graininess comes from the low light available. It was shot at the Martin Guitar factory, in their sound testing room, which has very dim track lighting for some reason that no one can explain.

I had a portable light, but as you can see it did not add much.

I make the audio synch video in H.264 AVC 1080i 24fps and then cut the results up in another project with the mask and titles, etc.

Lately I have been rendering that file as MP4 1080p 30mbps since they go on Youtube and from there embedded on the written reviews on my website

http://onemanz.com/guitar/

Any suggestions for getting better video quality and more importantly the best audio quality for Youtube would be greatly appreciated.
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The 337.88 driver is in use here on Windows 10/PD 11.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
First, I'm really glad to hear that the problem is solved

It sounds like you're doing things right with the (inexplicably low ) light levels there. It's really not all that noticeable but it did catch my eye because I was focusing on the glitch.

As for workflow, I think you should keep all your frame rates (and even output formats) the same in all your sub-projects, as the 24fps-30fps conversion can exaggerate blurred motion, like when you're hand is strumming.

Also, shooting at the highest progressive frame rate your camera has will give you the smoothest playback when motion is involved. If you only have 60i, that can be used for 30p like you're doing.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tspnyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks.

The second time I went to make a video the preview screen was black. It was there when still, but when playing it was black.

I panicked and tried the second, more recent driver. Same thing.

But when I restarted my PC (which I had not done after installing the drivers) the issue went away.

So for now I using the later of the two drivers you recommended and my test video came out well.

I just realized it had been set to 24 fps so all the guitar videos I shot this summer at Martin were in that mode.

The available choices on this camcorder are

60i

30 fp

24 fp

Do you think 60i would be an improvement for this particular kind of video?
optodata
[Post New]
No, 30p is better because you get 30 full frames every second vs 60 half-frames, each one being only odd or only even rows (that's what the "i" for interlaced means)

Since you recorded these clips at 24fps, you should also produce to 24fps to have the best visual quality.

I'm glad the reboot worked, too

YouTube/optodata