Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 10 Compatibility and User Problems
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Ah, so you're NOT seeing crashes in the timeline, they're only coming when you try to create a disc. THAT'S a big deal! Are you able to produce to any formats (like for YouTube) or have you only been trying to burn discs?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I'm now seeing errors when I try to produce, which is less involved than burning a disc and therefor easier to troubleshoot. Here's the error I get when trying to produce to MPEG-2 DVD HQ, which is basically the quality of your source clip:

Is this the kind of message you're seeing?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
Yes, when I try to do a production, I get the same message. I selected AVI, though. I forgot about it since I decided to concentrate on the Create Disk problem. I'm just trying to Burn Disks and with early repeated errors, I decided to just try creating a disk image (ISO) and/or create file instead of burning directly to disk (which never worked either, but I was out a disk). By the way, I fast forwarded through the file in Edit mode and got no errors. Likewise when I played the AVI file with the new hokey Win10 player, so if the file's bad, the player in Edit and the Win10 player don't notice it. Most curious, eh?
optodata
[Post New]
OK, this is EXACTLY the same problem that happened with AlexanderBSV's clips.

If I shorten the clip to less than 2:11, I can produce to any format without any errors, but if the clip is longer than that I get the crash when I preview that point in the timeline and also when PD gets to that point when producing.

With the first clips that had this problem, we stopped and went with the convert option because that immediately solved the problem. If you have too many clips to convert, we can go a little farther here and see if we can find why these AVI clips are crashing.

Remember that CL is almost certainly working on a patch for this issue right now, and that would far and away be the best solution.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 23. 2015 20:51

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
A quick question - are you just wanting to use PD13 to burn these clips to DVD or are you doing editing first? I ask because there are DVD burners apps that will do what you need without any of these headaches if you're really not doing any editing.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Thanks again for bolstering my spirits on this. I'm naturally skeptical about CL 'almost certainly' working on a patch for this issue', given my experience with them over the past month. It's all I can hope for. If they aren't, I'm going to go back to Pinnacle Studio that I abandoned a few years ago for PowerDirector. Right now I feel like I'm in a quagmire. LOL Haven't felt like that since my Nam days.
[Post New]
I need the full cycle: import from my camcorder, edit, burn to disk/disk image/file.
optodata
[Post New]
Wow, what an analogy! I say "almost certainly" because this all cropped up because of Win10 and it's got very high visibility. The tech support people aren't necessarily on top of this stuff like the engineers are that need to resolve it, and that's why I'm optimistic.

If you're pulling things of your camcorder now, does that mean you've got hours and hours of clips that you're working through or that you're going to keep using that camcorder and don't want to convert clips every time you go to edit?

Depending on you answer, there may be some painless ways to get you over this hurdle even with PD13 unable to work with the native clips.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
My scenario is that I asynchronously take family movies of my grandkids mostly, and download the video from my camcorder into PowerDirector. This happens, say, once every month or two. And in case you're curious, I actually re-downloaded the last Mini-DV tape into PowerDirector13 on my Win10 HD, thinking, perhaps, the video downloaded by the former version was somehow suspect. When I did so, the results were the same. I've got about 80 existing 1-hour tapes in AVI files now. I also keep their respective AVI files and project files just in case I need to re-burn older DVDs (I have some that are well over 10 years old that have gone bad). I can't do that on my Win10 system and I get nervous about that.
optodata
[Post New]
B I N G O !

I can get your clip to play past 2:11, produce it to any format AND burn it to a DVD/folder by installing the latest version of the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and changing just two settings during the installation!

I posted this solution in this new *thread* and maybe Dafydd will make it a sticky so everyone having this problem will be able to get their systems running.

I had the solution over an hour ago - but I fought with various installation and screen capture issues and I wanted to wait to post until I had everything clearly documented. Hopefully this will work for everyone! cool

EDIT I verified that the clips from AlexanderBSV now work correctly, and I also was able to create a DVD from the clip from rickblaine and I uploaded the ready-to-burn folder to the OneDrive folder linked above

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 23. 2015 23:42

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
BRAVO! GREAT JOB! I just performed the mods and have tested it on 3 test cases and have not gotten any errors. I'm now taking a more complex project, creating a file and ISO image which I'll use to generate a DVD. If that works, all's well. Optodata, you da man! Thanks for not only resolving the issue, but for taking the time to document the fix so well for us unfortunates. It's truly appreciated! As a secondary matter, is this a fix that Cyberlink can incorporate into a patch? Do you have some way to get this revelation to the Cyberlink engineers and tech support personnel?
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if this will help any of you. Here is a few things to try with windows 10 and PD 13. Say you have a driver that is working good for you and Windows 10 update gives you a driver that causes problems. Microsoft came out with a tool to hide that driver from the updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

I had a problem with one of windows 10 preview builds and PD 13. I was checking the Insider hub to see with other video editing programs was having problems with Win 10. One high in program would not render the video. Problem was Windows 10 only installed .Net framworks 4.5 . They had win 10 install .net framworks 3.5. Witch includes .net framworks 2.0 and 3.0. Then every thing work right. Just a thought. I have not tested PD 13 yet after the final version came out. I have been on vacation but will be trying it this week. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
optodata
[Post New]
Michael8511, thanks for the helpful info. I'm sure other people will benefit from your experience!

Quote: ... As a secondary matter, is this a fix that Cyberlink can incorporate into a patch? Do you have some way to get this revelation to the Cyberlink engineers and tech support personnel?

I'm really happy I could find a fairly simple solution! I'm not an expert in codecs by any means, and I can't tell you why the MS splitter gives the error while the LAV splitter works correctly. I also can't tell if this is something that MS needs to fix (which might not require a patch from CL), or how CL will implement their solution.

I believe they are monitoring the forum in general, and certainly Dafydd would have passed on this new info to them. We're definitely moving forward, now that we pioneers have started clearing a path through some of the arrows coming at us! cool

YouTube/optodata

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
One small item to note with Win 10 : after the update to Win 10 the "Auto saved project" files are lost. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2015 21:00

Win 10, i7
optodata
[Post New]
The AutoSaved projects would only be lost it you left them in the default folder, which is in a subfolder of PD. If you changed it to a different location, especially to a different drive, the files are unaffected.

Fwiw, the first thing I do after setting up a new PC or after a major upgrade is to move all the library locations (My Docs, My Videos) the D: drive so my files are always safe even if I have to reinstall the OS or reformat the C: drive. Maybe that will help someone avoid a real headache down the road.

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
I should add that any missing files and folders from the previous Windows installation might be in the Windows.old folder on your C: drive. HDedit, see if you can find your autosaves in the corresponding folder there.

YouTube/optodata

PrimetimeScotty [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2015 23:04 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I can't download any new templates. I keep getting an error message. Thanks for the info
optodata
[Post New]
Scott, please start a new thread and include more details. List all the steps you took and include the exact message(s) you received. Screenshots would be very helpful.

YouTube/optodata

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
optodata

Sorry, but the files were in a unique (non-default folder). Good try. Win 10, i7
Salamand3r [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2015 20:41 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Not strictly a Window 10 problem, but Windows 10 related (and confirmed by Cyberlink support) -

Hardware rendering acceleration no longer functions with AMD GPUs under the 15.x Catalyst driver series - reverting to 14.x series will work, however these are technically not supported for Windows 10.

So, immediately after fixing the major problem (OpenCL on AMD cards) that I've had basically since PD13 came out, PowerDirector is once again useless to me as a "daily driver" video editor.

According to CL support, there are no immediate plans to fix or attempt to fix the issue.

Very, very disappointed in this piece of software and this company right now. Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case | Ultra X4 850W PSU | Asrock Fatal1ty Killer 990FX | AMD FX8320@4.7gHz | Coolermaster Nepton 240m | 2x HIS R9 290 GPUs | 24gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mHz DDR3 | OCZ ARC 100 480gb SSD | Various WD Black and Seagate drives to the tune of ~20tb | I have been building systems for over 16 years, however my opinions can be and sometimes are incorrect. Please, call me out if I say something asinine.
videotech2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2015 13:24 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: PowerDirector 13 Editors,

If you've missed the info, please check out News and Announcements Forum: Windows 10 Compatibility Advisor - Check If Your CyberLink Software is Ready For Windows 10!

Following a request from AlS, please add your issues under this one W10 heading and maybe see if we can get something done.

Recent threads/issues:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44354.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44596.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44577.page

Dafydd

Only issue i have with powerdirector 13 since upgrading to windows 10 is the voice over no longer works ,checked all settings in windows and all is ok,voiceover on corel videostudio x8 and works perfect.

Have noticed cyberlink powerdirector capture drivers seems to be set by default to corel capture driver and will not allow me to change that option as it can not see any other device?

Have tried several mics,3.5 pin jack,usb mic and webcam ,makes no diffence at all,windows 10 has no problem finding new hardware and other software using mics have no problem,

seems to me its a cyberlink issue.hope they will find a fix for this soon as dont want to downgrade to windows 7.

Real shame as i was using pd13 voiceover most of the time.dont want to uninstall corel as both programes i use alot