Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4k video and photos
nodny) [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 28, 2015 14:09 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
PD 13, latest updates. Used Samsung Note 4 to take many 4k videos and photos in Alaska Inside Passage. Must say they are superb on Sony 4k TV.

But, when I try to produce them all together in HVC5 for standard 4k size specifying bluray, the produced file is mp4 BUT plain old 1080p!

I've done this twice and somewhere the software changes my settings. Also. To boot, no other player except pd13, including powerdvd, will play it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Computer hp envy Intel i7 quad 3.5

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 28. 2015 14:26

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi nodny) -

I'm a little confused by your question and possibly you're a little that way too. laughing

By HVC5, do you mean H.265 HEVC? If you select one of the 4K profiles, the produced file will be just that - not 1080p.

If you're trying to burn a BR disc, you cannot do that in 4K yet. UHD or 4K BR - as far as I undertsand, up to 3840 x 2160 pixels - is a very recently introduced technology.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
As far as I know the new 4k BlueRay standard has not been implemented yet.
Also I do not know where you can get a 4k disc or burner, and then you will need a 4k BlueRay player.

Best you can do is to "Produce" a 4k file with PowerDirector.
But before you do that you need to know what formats your 4k TV will play thru a USB or HDMI port.
Nodnyl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 29, 2015 15:41 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the information, I think I'm figuring out how to process my 4k videos. However, the Samsung Note 4 I used seems to have an odd quirk when taking videos. I believe if the auto screen rotate is on, and the phone is accidentally rotated vertically, then horizontially and the recording button pressed, the video taken at that time will be taken in 9:16 format!!! My best and most important video (Murphy) is in this condition. If I show this clip using PD13, it is "sideways!" If I show it in another player, it s shown 16:9. Is there a way to tell PD13 to "rotate" all videos to 16:9 regardless of what the clip information shows? I asked Samsung support about this and they hadn't a clue.

If I can fix this video, I will certainly never record anything with the auto rotate on again, and submit a bug report.

Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2015 20:02

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know about rotate all, but it is easy enough to grab the center of the video in the preview screen and rotate it a quarter turn. Look for the little circle in the middle. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you have multiple clips that need to be rotated by the same amount, it may be easier to use keyframes.

To rotate the first clip, follow the steps outiline in this *post* then save the clip (and the project). Next, right-click on the clip and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes. Then select each of the remaining clips then right-click and choose Paste Keyframe Attributes.

That's it!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi nodny) -

This is a bit of a side note, that may be of interest to you when you're recording with your Samsung Note 4. I downloaded a clip from *here* that had been deliberately recorded so that it displayed "sideways". It appears that various devices and players are unable to read Samsung's orientation tags. This is the actual video I used.

Anyway - in Windows the thumbnail displays sideways, as you'd expect. When I import it into PDR13, it displays the right way up! In various players, it behaved differently... in MPC, QT Player, PotPlayer, the video displays the "right way round", but GOM, DiVX Player, Splash PRO, VLC, WMP & Windows MovieMaker all read it sideways.

If the video displays sideways in PDR, you don't have much choice but to rotate it as other members have suggested... but definitely don't produce to one of the UHD (3840X2160) profiles. Use a 1920x1080 or it may look like mush.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2015 02:18

Nodnyl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 29, 2015 15:41 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have found that both MS Movie Maker and PowerDVD12 recognize the correct orientation of my errant video clip. The data displayed by PowerDVD12 shows the correct 4K resolution in the right order! What could make this happen and how can I transfer that to PowerDirector13?
I also talked at length with a Samsung tech support guy, who pointed me to Google forums. I am thinking that the blasted "rotate/don't rotate" function in the Note 4 is the culprit. At least I might be able to get a decent clip over to my master movie for 4k TV presentation. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again.
ynotfish
[Post New]
I agree that the auto rotate function or the way Samsung writes the orientation tags is the root of the issue. Clearly, it's an problem experienced by many Note video shooters.

What I'd be trying to do is finding a piece of software that is able to (a) read your video the right way up - landscape 16:9 & (b) render the video to a UHD MP4 (3840x2160), which I believe is how it was recorded. Once you got over that hurdle, you could import the "converted" file into PDR to edit your project.

Nothing I've tried here (other NLEs) is able to do that - but I don't have your particular video file. Your version of MovieMaker may well read the video orientation correctly, but I don't think it's able to produce a UHD MP4. I say "think" because I don't really use it.

Cheers - Tony
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ... It appears that various devices and players are unable to read Samsung's orientation tags. This is the actual video I used.

Anyway - in Windows the thumbnail displays sideways, as you'd expect. When I import it into PDR13, it displays the right way up! In various players, it behaved differently... in MPC, QT Player, PotPlayer, the video displays the "right way round", but GOM, DiVX Player, Splash PRO, VLC, WMP & Windows MovieMaker all read it sideways...
Weird. I have almost entirely opposite results!sealed

On my system, GOM, VLC, WMP, PD13, IE11 (with the QT plug-in) along Win 8.1's modern Photos and Video app all play the clip correctly (and Windows Explorer shows an upright thumbnail). However, PD12, Camtasia Studio 6 and ColorDirector 3 play it sideways!

It gets even weirder if I run it through FormatFactory.

If I convert the file and then play it in VLC or any of the other players that worked correctly with the original clip, it plays sideways! Of the players that played the original clip sideways only ColorDirector 3 can even play the converted clip (and it's STILL sideways). With PD12 and Camtasia Studio, the audio is there but the video is black so I can't gell what orientation they're using. What's going on here? yell

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It will not help with the video that you have already recorded, but in the future you can turn off auto-rotate if it works better for you. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
nodny) [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 28, 2015 14:09 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Oh yes, I'll be doing that! But Ill have to test before next trip. Don't trust any of it now. Does anyone have a pipeline to Google/Android to get a fix and doc for this? 4k video is going to mushroom as soon as I start talking about it! Ha. Vacations take on a whole new meaning when you can sit in your den and literally re-experience them with your friends and family. Thanks.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: Weird. I have almost entirely opposite results! What's going on here? yell

Hi optodata -

I'm afraid I have about as much idea as you! I can't explain that at all. It gets worse... i just retested the clip in all the players mentioned above... this time MPC played it sideways. surprised All other results were the same as I posted above. As well, PDR12 & Camtasia Studio 6 read it sideways. Camtasia Studio 8 read it the right way round.

In any case, it's all a bit hypothetical because the clip I tested wasn't recorded the same way as the OP's.

As you said: "Weird"

Cheers - Tony