Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Warning message about my FPS does not match my settings in preferences
[Post New]
I am trying to add a video shot at 30 FPS to my project. The general settings shows that my project is set to 30 FPS. However, when I try to add the video to the track, I get a message stating that my project is set to 29.92 FPS and that I should change it to 30 FPS if I want the video to be smooth. If the general setting is already at 30 FPS, what should I do?

I have attached screenshots if that helps.
[Thumb - 2015-06-09 16_13_38-Preferences.png]
 Filename
2015-06-09 16_13_38-Preferences.png
[Disk]
 Description
Preferences settings
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
269 time(s)
[Thumb - 2015-06-09 16_12_58-New Untitled Project_.png]
 Filename
2015-06-09 16_12_58-New Untitled Project_.png
[Disk]
 Description
Warning message about FPS
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
290 time(s)
Luthien Tinuviel
[Post New]
Hi Luthien

Could you send us a bit of info about the source video
Look at Part J of this post how to do it.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page

Also post the PD version you are using - example: PD 13 version 13.0.2907.1)

You might have the same issue I had with frame rate, look at this post:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43197.page
I found the latest version of PD 13 (13.0.2907.1) no longer gives me the mismatch message for my Samsung SIII phone videos (so they might have fixed that).
The SVRT issue that is in my post can only be fixed as described in my post. Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
I have always just ignored it! Just click OK and place the clip on timeline. Even when PD itself produces a clip one can have this pop up - so I have given it a rest by just ignoring it. Makes no difference.
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Nina's recommendation is correct, especially when it comes to a warning of 29.97 vs 30. They are actually the exact same frame rate, but sometimes PD gets that little detail wrong on certain clips.

Also, the warning is really meant to alert you that you might lose smoothness if you have 50 or 60fps source clips but have set the project frame rate to 24, 25 or 30. In that case, PD won't create any effects or transitions as smoothly as possible because it's not using every frame in your source clips.

As far as I know, setting a high project frame rate with low fps clips might cause some delays when editing because PD has to increase the number of frames in the source clips to achieve the project frame rate.

If you have different frame rates in a project, I think you should match the project's frame rate to the highest frame rate of any source clips, especially if you're going to produce at the high frame rate and just ignore the warning (and you can even turn it off under Preferences!)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'll offer a different view, NTSC30 or 29.97fps and true 30fps which some video equipment does create are not the same frame rate as far as what PD uses and produces, so the warning is correct. As mentioned, often it can be disregarded with little effect on the end product, but the effect is real, framerate adjustment does need to occur.

My view, the timeline used to justify my view, and results of PD13 produced files and analysis are in the attached pdf file.

Jeff
 Filename
30fps.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1717 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
690 time(s)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'll offer a different view....

Bookmarked! smile

___________________________________________________________________________________

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 11. 2015 04:40

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
surprised OMG - Cranston's back!

As the wee leprachaun said: "Da crock's in da ground & all's roight wit da world."

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Wow - detailed analysis as always - great work Jeff! Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I agree! You've written up an excellent and completely understandable explanation of what the differences are between 30 and 29.97fps and why that matters. That's awesome!

This still leaves the question about PD bringing up the warning dialog box in the first place. While technically 29.97 does not equal 30fps and PD will definitely need to do the work you've detailed, there is no 29.97fps (or 59.94fps) project setting, and this leads to confusion because the user cannot match the project to the clips to heed the warning.

I'm all about making informed decisions, but I personally think PD should not display the warning for 29.97/30 and 59.94/60fps differences because there's nothing that the user can do. I think it should always display the warning when you add any clips to the timeline that are significantly different, like 24, 25, 30 or 50fps when the project settings are 60.

I know I can turn off the warning entirely, but then I'm not warned about any significant mismatches where there is something I might want to do. I can also ignore the message every single time it comes up with OP's message (which is what the general recommendation is here), but it seems to me that a change to have PD default to (or at least add an option to) ignore the unchangable fps situations would be helpful to most users.

Jeff, as you pointed out there may be certain projects where it's important to know that the frame rates don't exactly match, and if CL added a two-step setting for when to display the warning dialog then the user would have full control over that.

Maybe CL could even add those specific frame rates to project settings, especially if the intended output is BR or DVD so no interpolation would even be used or needed. In my view, any of these would provide for a clearer user experience while still keeping the user fully informed.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm all about making informed decisions, but I personally think PD should not display the warning for 29.97/30 and 59.94/60fps differences because there's nothing that the user can do. I think it should always display the warning when you add any clips to the timeline that are significantly different, like 24, 25, 30 or 50fps when the project settings are 60.

Not sure why your view nothing the user can do, can you expand, give a timeline or step procedure example to replicate?

Again, it's a warning for user caution, do as you wish with it. However, if one has true 30fps video on the timeline and you create a custom profile at 30fps, you will not drop or add a single frame. Thanks PD for prompting me my timeline footage is a little special and maybe I want to validate what I'm doing. For proof I've copied 6 duplicates of the 30fps_Custom.m2ts file I showed and created in the pdf writeup. I used 6 duplicates in the timeline to simply get the number of frames up so we are not talking a one or two frame delta. This 30fps clip had 2042 frames as documented in the pdf (bottom of page 3), 6*2042=12252 frames in my new timeline. As seen in attached pic, if I produce with a true 30fps custom profile, I have not added or dropped a single frame, I get exactly 12252 frames in the newly produced file and at 30fps. So, 30fps source, 30fps output. I can and did do something about it.

On the other hand, since my timeline has true 30fps source footage in it and if I elect to ignore the message and simply proceed to produce and use a default profile, you see in the same pic I only have 12240 frames, since the default profiles playback is slower, 29.97fps, PD needed to remove frames since the source was 30fps, 12252*29.97/30=12240, a exact match to the frames in the file produced by PD. So, 30fps source, ignore warning and accept default produce profiles, 12 dropped frames. Are these deleted frames critical, someplace perhaps yes because if I wanted to countdown from 10 in that area, I didn't, a title with a countdown number on it was deleted.

Again, it's a simple valid warning, if I set in pref NTSC30, PD is simply cautioning that everything downstream for default settings in PD will create a 29.97fps output unless the user adhears to the caution and does something. It's a basic warning so you the user can do as you wish to produce a masterpiece. In this day and age should one have an invariant timeline setting, maybe, but we are working with the PD we have.

Jeff
[Thumb - 30fps_output.png]
 Filename
30fps_output.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
55 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
222 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 11. 2015 18:58

optodata
[Post New]
Jeff, I guess my comment was a little too brief. What I meant to say is that when a typical user sees that message, they would probably try to adjust the project settings to match that clip's frame rate (like OP), only to find that it's not possible to set the program to fractional frame rates. They aren't made aware of the subtleties you've spelled out and there isn't anything obvious they can do about it. That's all.

I understand and completely agree with everything you've said regarding the steps that can be taking downstream, and I think it's great to have this post to refer to whenever any user runs into these frame rate issues. Video editing shouldn't require a degree in advanced engineering, but if you have one you can sure do a lot with it here

YouTube/optodata

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Video editing shouldn't require a degree in advanced engineering..........

No, it really shouldn't. Not in a consumer software.

You Jeff, Ron - you guys are great in explaining. As some of you will remember, a person on this forum once said " even you, Nina, can understand it.........". Video editing should not require a degree in advanced engeneering - perhaps unless you work in broadcast or film industry. Even then, I am guessing the creaters will have assistance from the technicians. For my humble video productions, if edited and produced with PD, I ignore the warning about 29.97 fps / 30 fps. I understand I loose "a frame or two", and this may be important for others, but it's impossible for me with my eyesight and the equipment I have at hand to spot the difference.

- Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
[Post New]
Thank you all. This is a lot of information that has helped. I have not seen much of a problem with the difference in the short videos that I have been working on, but I have a feeling it will become important once I start my bigger projects. Luthien Tinuviel
glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a good Time Code explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykjyNeuQROU
MattW777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 12, 2016 19:15 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys, I need help

I am filming a YouTube Action skit with PowerDirector 12 on my Pavilion HP (has an Intel CORE i3 graphics card)
Whenever I insert my GoPro Hero4 Silver Footage into the Timeline, a message pops up saying my 59.94 FPS is conflicting with my 29.97 settings in PD12.
Should I worry?? I have noticed that at the end of each clip, it gets a bit laggy.
My question is, will rendering/producing the video to YouTube smooth out those lags? Will my end video look smooth??
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
MattW77 – Please start your own topic by clicking on the new topic button on the Forum Index page and post the same information as you did here. Other users and contributors will then be able to give you the proper answer. This post is over a year old and has been properly answered. You will get the same treatment when you post your concerns as a new topic. sealed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2016 22:42