Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13 Crashes When Dragging Video to Timeline
packldr128 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Michigan USA Joined: Apr 21, 2015 13:03 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
This is a lengthy post, but hopefully I've provided enough information so that a solution to my problem can be found and I can use Director Suite 3 for video editing instead of trying to get it to work.

I purchased and installed Director Suite 3 recently. I have been searching these forums for over a week now unsuccessfully trying to get Power Director 13 to work. It crashes as soon as I drag one of my own videos from the media panel to the timeline (the PD13 resident sample file Boats.wmv file does work when dragged to the timeline). Based on what I have read on these forums, this points to PD13 working correctly and the most likely cause being a problem on the PC side.

Here is a basic rundown of my PC:

Intel Q9400 Core2 Quad Processor / Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard / 8GB Ram

System Drive - 256GB Samsung 850PRO ssd / Data1 Drive - 1TB Samsung 850EVO ssd / Data2 Drive - 2TB Raid0 - pair of WD 1TB / Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX680 with latest driver 9.18.13.4788 / Realtek Audio ALC889A codec with latest driver 6.0.1.6662 / win7x64 Ultimate, SP1 w/all MS updates

Additionally, I do photo editing using Adobe Lightroom 5.7 and Adobe CS4 Master Collection

In perusing the forums for a solution, I learned it is helpful to provide various reports, so several are attached. I did not attach an example video (not sure about file sizes), but did attach a MediaInfo report on one of the GoPro mp4's that crashed when moving to the timeline.

Following are key points that may provide pertinent info for a solution -

1. The PD13 Preview Player can play all of the clips I import into the media panel when they still reside in the media panel. But as soon as they are moved to the timeline, PD13 crashes (sometimes the video image is displayed on the timeline in about 2 seconds and then it crashes). A windows popup says "PowerDirector 13 has stopped working and will close".

2. I used two sources for the several personal video clips I have tried. All files are resident on the Data1 drive and the GoPro clips were originally imported using the GoPro Studio program

3. GoPro Hero4 Silver clips are .mp4/1080P/60fps (tried three short clips - 24 / 08 / 20 seconds each

4. Samsung Galaxy S5 clip is .mp4/1080P/30fps (03:20)

5. Another thing I have noticed is that the shadow file for all of these clips is always in a state of "generating shadow file" even though I have left them set for up to a half hour before trying to proceed. The resident wmv sample clip comes up green for shadow file complete within seconds of loading. I have no experience with video shadow files, but can't imagine it should take this length of time considering the short duration of these clips.

6. These are some of the things I have tried in an effort to resolve this problem. Nothing changed the way PD13 responds when dragging one of my video clips onto the timeline

7. Uninstalled suite and reinstalled numerous times (SR number: VDE150305-02)

8. Installed patch .2808

9. Tried the two different settings under PD13 Settings/Hardware Acceleration, currently both are enabled

10. Tried both the Easy & Full Feature Editors

11. Uninstalled the following programs to eliminate potential conflicts:

12. GoPro Studio (btw, I was successful with the limited clip editing I tried with GoPro Studio but I wanted to "gopro" (lol) with a more capable video editor and chose Director 3 Suite for cost and apparent ease of use & capability)

13. dBpoweramp

14. JRiver Media Center

If there are questions or anything else that will be helpful in getting this going, please ask and I will provide. I am anxious to actually use the program instead of (so far) getting it ready to use!

Thanks for taking the time to look this over and offering appropriate advice.

Lou
 Filename
Lou DiagnosticFiles.rar
[Disk]
 Description
Rar contains 4 Files - DxDiag+x64DxDiag+MediaInfo+PC ActionRpt
 Filesize
8 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
289 time(s)
I'm new to Video and Video Editing, but I'm learning quick 'cuz the grandkids aren't waiting!!
[Post New]
Hi Lou

I have a Samsung SIII and what use to happen is that when I add the clips to the time-line I get a mismatch "the frame rate of the clip is 30fps and the time-line is 29.97 fps”.
Do you get that message?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43197.page
I wonder if it hits that point (suppose to give you a warning) instead it fails.
That is something you might need to look at in any case for your "Variable Frame Rate" on the S5.

The latest patch for PD 13 is 2604 (not sure about the beta patch you installed).
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html

If you have a small video clip to attach, we could confirm if it loads on other installations.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2015 10:59

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
packldr128 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply EKSVid.

I read the thread you linked to with interest and it prompted me to look at the MediaInfo data of both sources of video I am using. You are correct about the Samsung S5, the files I have from it are indeed 30fps variable frame rate.

Although this may be an issue moving forward with files from the S5, that is not the root cause of my crash problem. I also looked at the MediaInfo for one of my GoPro files and it was 60fps fixed frame rate. This also caused PD13to crash upon dragging it to the timeline. For purposes of resolving that issue, I have done a reinstall of Director Suite 3 and am going to import only GoPro video for now until I get this resolved.

The patch I previously used ( .2808 ) was a beta, but it addressed a crash issue, so I thought it was worth a try. Since it made no difference, I have not installed it with this re-install today.

Current Power Director 13 Configuration

• Installed latest released patch - .2604

• Power Director Ultimate - 13.0.2604.0

• SR number - VDE150123-01

Results of Re-Install

After re-install, I disabled shadow file creation (not sure whether it is needed anyway, maybe someone could advise?) and imported GoPro033.mp4. Same crash scenario, what am I doing wrong?

To assist in troubleshooting, I have attached this 4 second, 30fps constant frame rate (mediaInfo actual fps=29.970), 1080P file and the MediaInfo data for it.

Thanks to all who are looking at this for me.

Lou
 Filename
Lou GoPro033 mp4 + MediaInfo GoPro033.rar
[Disk]
 Description
Lou GoPro033 mp4 + MediaInfo GoPro033
 Filesize
14715 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
276 time(s)
I'm new to Video and Video Editing, but I'm learning quick 'cuz the grandkids aren't waiting!!
[Post New]
Well, I had no issues adding the clip to my time-line.
It also played fine from the timeline.

So the video is not the problem it must be something clash on your computer.

Make sure that you load the clips into a new project. Sometimes the project file gets corrupted and causes an issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2015 13:48

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
packldr128 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your feedback EKSVid.

I suspected the video was OK and not surprised it worked on your PC. Additionally, I took your suggestion to create a New Project in PD13 before dragging to the timeline. Unfortunately the results did not change and I got the same windows message "PowerDirector 13 has stopped working".

I also tried a file directly from the GoPro that I just copied to a folder on the PC. First, I created a New Project and dragged the resident sample file Boats.wmv to the timeline (so far so good). Then I imported to the PD13 Media Panel one of the files I just copied from the GoPro to the PC. As soon as I dragged it to the timeline and dropped it next to Boats.wmv, the same crash scenario occured.

Thanks again, I hope I can get to the bottom of this issue soon. I'm new to Video and Video Editing, but I'm learning quick 'cuz the grandkids aren't waiting!!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
packldr128, thanks for posting all the details from your DxDiag posts to all the steps you've taken. You've already done most of the troubleshooting steps so we won't need to spend any more time on those.

Like EKSVid, I have no problems importing and placing your clip on the timeline and I agree that something is not right with your computer. Often there will be indications of some serious underlying issue(s) in the DxDiag file, but yours looks OK. You mentioned having difficulty with shadow files and that may turn out to be an issue with your HDD, but I'd like to have you run one other diagnostic first.

Open up an admistrator command prompt (click *here* if you're not sure how) and type in the following (without the quotes) "sfc /scannow" and hit Enter. Windows will scan the core files and will try to repair any problems it finds. The best outcome is that Windows finds problems and fixes them and PD13 will work with your clip. It's also possible that Windows won't find any problems, or that it finds some problems but can't repair them. Let us know how it goes and we can deal with whatever comes up.

If sfc doesn't find any problems, you may want to run a diagnostic on your hard drive to see if there are any problems that might be coming up when creating shadow files. Do a quick online search and you'll find plenty of free hard drive diagnostic utilities.

Also you can certainly turn off the use shadow files option in PD before you load the clips and see if anything changes. Your CPU is not all that powerful and would normally benefit from using shadow files for these HD clips, but we need to make sure that the drive and your motherboard controller are cooperating.

EDIT: I just saw the file called Action Center Crash Report that you'd attached earlier. That info is often included at the end of the DxDiag report but yours was clean. The fact that there were other crashes make me a little more optimistic that sfc will turn up something promising!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 25. 2015 20:42

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
packldr128 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you optodata for your reply and suggestions.

I ran the sfc scannow with these results - Windows Resource Protection did not find any violations. . . . . .

I also reviewed the FAQ's for CyberLink Technical Support (I have not went down that path yet) and saw that they would request an Event Log of the crash. I processed an event log of a crash this evening and have attached it to this post. It may provide some insight into the problem.

Thanks again.

Lou
 Filename
Lou EventLog.rar
[Disk]
 Description
Lou EventLog
 Filesize
368 bytes
 Downloaded:
278 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The attachment is helpful, and unfortunately a quick search of crashes caused by ntdll.dll shows results going back 10 years and with many unrelated causes. I'm running Win 8.1 and don't even have a copy of that file in my System32 folder, only multiple copies and versions in my WinSxS folder and subfolders.

One thing you can try is to unregister then reregister the DLL. Follow these steps (you can copy and paste the sections between quotes):

To un-register a dll file, Click Start > Run >Type "regsvr32 C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll /u" and hit Enter.

To re-register it, Click Start >Type in Search Bar: "regsvr32 C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" then hit Enter. See if that makes any difference.

If that doesn't work, there are many possibilities but next I'd try a complete uninstall of your nVidia driver, and then reboot. When you reinstall it, use the Custom option and keep everything unchecked except for the graphics driver and see if that solves the problem. You can also check the audio driver, the PhysX library and the GEForce experience if needed, but keep the other options like Miracast and all 3D drivers unchecked.

You should also contact CL's tech support as they may be aware of a fix for this specific issue. One thing I've found is that PD is very demanding of the computers it runs on, and sometimes PD will uncover problems deep down inside Windows's infrastructure that only a significant repair will fix.

The second-to-last resort would be to reinstall Win7 on top of your existing installation. The good news is that it will only take an hour or less and you won't lose any of your settings or data, but you may need to reinstall some programs. This procedure also requires a physical Windows installation DVD with SP1, but you seem comfortable with the technical aspects of this issue and I think you'll be able to get that taken care of without too much stress.

The last resort would be to wipe your HDD and do a brand-new install of Win7. That will certainly solve the issue but it will take a day or so to get everything updated and all your programs installed and configured again. If you've made any drive image backups prior to installing PD, you may want to restore your C:\drive from one of those images and try installing PD again.

Good Luck!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
I like optodata approach - do that first!

packldr128, If that did not solve the issue I would try some other file formats that PD supports - I know you tried .wmv and that works - but I am wondering if you have issues with only mp4 files.
Also turn both things off under Hardware Acceleration.

packldr128 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestions optodata & EKSVid.

This has been a busy day so far and just wanted to touch base and let you know I will be trying some of these things later today and will post an update.

Lou I'm new to Video and Video Editing, but I'm learning quick 'cuz the grandkids aren't waiting!!
delboy35 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Apr 12, 2015 17:21 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Something else to consider:

Are you installing from a retail disk or a download from the internet? both could be corrupted and that doesnt mean it wouldnt install or run or give any error messages.I had problems with crashing in another video editor 2 years ago and all updates didnt fix it.Turned out it was a bad disk so every time i reinsatalled i was just reinstalling the same problems.Found that out when i downloaded from the internet instead and used my activation code on that.

So in both cases its worth trying a download of the editor from the website to rule out corruption in your current install medium.

Your video doesnt crash my version of PD13 when moved to the timeline either.Ultimate 2604 on Win 8.1/64bit.Im also using the same graphics driver as you.
packldr128 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply delboy35. My original installation files were via download direct from CyberLink website, but I did a redownload of them today. I used the new ones for a re-install today (after performing some suggestions by optodata and EKSVid), but the crash problems still persist.

Prior to the reinstall of PD13 today, I performed some of the suggestions made by optodata and EKSVid (thank you both for your guidance).

EKSVid - I un-checked both boxes under Hardware Acceleration, although I have not yet tried other filetypes yet. The mp4 files will play in the player window as long as I don't drag the file to the timeline

optodata - The un/re-registration of ntdll.dll was a failure. Windows pop up -

The module "C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllUregisterServer was not found. Make sure that "C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

I googled this respose by windows and found lots of hits, but most of the proposed solutions seemed like dead ends or too complex with potential for creating more problems.

So I moved on to the video drivers. I did a complete uninstall of the current driver and modules, including removing registry references. I then installed nvidia's latest driver package, but only the driver. (Appropriate and then some re-boots goes without saying.)

Next I reinstalled Director 3 Suite and it crashed as soon as an mp4 was dragged to the timeline of a new project. Anyway, thats about all the time I have today for this. I did dl an iso with win7 ultimate x64 w?SP1 and get it burnt to a dvd, so that is ready if I decide to take that next step. I believe I may try CL Tech Support first, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Lou I'm new to Video and Video Editing, but I'm learning quick 'cuz the grandkids aren't waiting!!
optodata
[Post New]
Lou, you've certainly done enough for one day! Please report the issue to CL tech support, although be aware that A) it may take some time for them to get back to you, and B) they will probably ask you to do many of the steps you've already done again. I guess that's the downside of using the forum...

My experience leads me to believe that doing a repair reinstall of Windows will get things straightened out "under the hood." Certainly the issue with not being able to correctly register the DLL file is symptom of the underlying problem(s) with your Windows innstallation, and since that file isn't something that CL makes or sends out with PD, I think you'll need to repair Windows no matter what CL's tech support says.

Please post back whenever you've had time to try the next steps.

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Take a look at this link: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-ntdll-dll-issues-513834.html . One individual solved his problem. It is related to the nVidia Access Network.

That pc is at the minimum required 6 years ago for 2k video editing, 2.66ghz quad and ddr2 ram. Hope this helps. I'm surprized that you put a ssd in it as it is at sata 1 speed (150MB/s max).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2015 20:34

optodata
[Post New]
Quote: Take a look at this link: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-ntdll-dll-issues-513834.html . One individual solved his problem. It is related to the nVidia Access Network.
That link is 5 years old, and it's the kind of answer I was referring to when I said my "search of crashes caused by ntdll.dll shows results going back 10 years and with many unrelated causes."

When I looked a little further, the links I found discussing nVidia Network Access Manager problems seem to stop in 2012. I don't even have that file on my machine, so I don't think that's going to be the cause of OP's problem. Who knows, though, the answer may be in a related thread out there somewhere...

YouTube/optodata

delboy35 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Apr 12, 2015 17:21 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Does your video crash when dragged to the timeline in another editor like vegas?If it doesnt, its unlikely to be your operating system.The platinum version trial is only about 300MB download, so you could check that pretty quickly.

Run a registry cleaner , re- boot and see if that helps.

Have you tried rolling back to older driver versions for your particular graphics card.You can get them from the nvidia website.

Maybe just me, but i think its a bit drastic to wipe your whole OS just because a single program isnt working for h264 video.Especially if everything else is working ok.I would try cyberlink first and even microsoft support as well.

optodata
[Post New]
Quote: Does your video crash when dragged to the timeline in another editor like vegas?If it doesnt, its unlikely to be your operating system.The platinum version trial is only about 300MB download, so you could check that pretty quickly.

Run a registry cleaner , re- boot and see if that helps.

Have you tried rolling back to older driver versions for your particular graphics card.You can get them from the nvidia website.

Maybe just me, but i think its a bit drastic to wipe your whole OS just because a single program isnt working for h264 video.Especially if everything else is working ok.I would try cyberlink first and even microsoft support as well.
I think it's natural to say something like "reinstalling Windows seems pretty drastic," and I agree. I know what you're saying seems like common sense, but I'm afraid you're making several assumptions that aren't accurate.

For one, a different editor would likely not show the same problem - but not because the problem is with PD. Rather, it's because the other editor has completely different code, uses different codecs, and interfaces with Windows differently. Remember, no one but OP has any problems playing his clips in the timeline, and that shows that PD itself is not the problem. The problem resides solely with OP's computer and how Windows and PD interact.

If you look at the DxDiag results, you'll see that OP has experienced many BSODs, some caused by PD but also by other programs. In my experience here on the forum, any time you have severe crashes that aren't caused by a single program or driver it's time to start looking at repairing Windows from the ground up - even if "everything else" seems to be running perfectly.

This is because PD basically requires each computer to be in essentially perfect health to do its job, so in some ways it's acting the canary in a coal mine, i.e. alerting the user to serious flaws down deep inside his/her Windows fundamental installation.

I'm not saying he should start with a full OS reinstall, but that's the final approach if nothing else has worked and I will guarantee that the problem will be gone if he does that. My goal is to get to that point with the least amount of time and effort, which is why I outlined the steps above.

YouTube/optodata

packldr128 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well after work today I used the win7 ultimate x64 sp1 dvd I created yesterday to do an "in place" repair of win7. I was optimistic that once done I would be able to launch PD13 and edit mp4 video. I'd like to report that's what happened, but to the contrary it was same crash scenario as before.

I tend to agree with optodata that the next step would be to do a clean install of the os. I wanted to hold off on that until after win10 comes out in July, and couple a clean install of win10 with a new motherboard and processor. I really didn't want to invest the time of a clean install and reloading all programs on this hardware platform, but I may end up doing just that. I'll have to think about this a bit and do some research, but cost may be prohibitive right now to upgrade my hardware.

Just a short response to tomasc - my current hardware supports sata2 (300MB/sec, max). Yes, it's overkill for ssd's on this mb/processor platform (even w/sata2 specs), but I replaced a failing hd and bought the ssd's knowing I would be updating the mb & processor in the near future with something that would take advantage of their capability.

I will likely file a report with CL Tech Support also, it can't hurt at this point. Hopefully, I get a response in a reasonable period of time.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion, I have read and considered all responses.

optodata
[Post New]
I'm sorry to hear that the in-place reinstall didn't fix the problem. By any chance, have you made any system/image backups of your C: drive? If so, you might be able to restore your system to a point in time before the issues surfaced. That would be quicker than doing a clean reinstall, but only if you'd already made (and kept!) the backups.

One other thing you could try is to uninstall PD, then create a new user or admin account in Windows and try installing PD again from the new account. Sometimes the user profile gets corrupted and creating a new profile clears up many of those problems. If that gets PD working with your clip, just do an online search for how to copy over/recreate the personalized setting from the old user account and then delete it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2015 20:05

YouTube/optodata

packldr128 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply optodata.

I do have several image backups of the system drive. I also have restore points going back about a month. My restore points at that time were over 100GB and I cleaned them up. (Also, this is about the time I installed the two ssd's.)

Your suggestion is worth trying. I'm thinking quite possibly this "issue" I have may have been there a long time. Everything else "works", so until PD13 I didn't know there was anything wrong. Meaning, the restore points / images may likely contain whatever the problem is that's now reared its ugly head at PD13.

But its worth a try and maybe that'll be my afterwork project tomorrow!

Thanks