Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DirectorZone utterly useless again!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I know this is the PD Forum, but I need to vent the fact that the DirectorZone proves time and time again to be the least responsive, worst performing utter mess of a website that I have ever come across.

Whoever is in charge of it should be brought to the woodshed for failing to run it properly.

Thanks for listening.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28. 2015 20:56

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Agreed. Rarely use it for that reason. Quality and consistency is lacking. Win 10, i7
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I work for a company that insist that all browser programming work with win IE. Too often someone insist browser programming that works with chrome or safari also works with IE which just isn't true. Each programmer beleive what they want.

A workaround for the DZ is to take notes on pen and paper or notepad as you browse and then do the searches from your notes to avoid going back to the first page each time. laughing
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
The site may be slow, but it has worked fine for me. (Firefox)
Although it's a pain clicking on "Do not ask me again" every time. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Slow?
That's an understatement.
Don't get me wrong, its a great asset, when it functions. What triggered my latest tirade was doing a search that turned up 7 pages of material, and then refused to
let me see pages 2 through 7. Click-click-click...nuthin. I thought I heard it laugh at me.
OK, that's all, I better just leave this be. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
" I thought I heard it laugh at me. " - That's funny

It messed up your day but you made me laugh Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Happy to help. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry/Everyone,
DZ feedback has been passed onto CyberLink.

DZ Forum: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/135.page
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2015 04:32

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
CyberLink/DZ are seeking Barry's help on the points he has raised.
Dafydd
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Right now the sign-in, using FireFox, sort of failed.
The little circle kept going round and round and round, then finally gave me a
"We're sorry but the request could not be processed..."
I am however, successfully signed-in after about a minute and a half.
Sigh. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Barry, all info passed onto CyberLink.
Dafydd
[Post New]
The issue posted on beta thread is similar:

Quote: So far, the only issue I've seen is that glitch of not automatically signing in to DZ. Previously, PD would open and sometimes log in, but other times I would have to click on the "Sign in to DZ" link to take care of that.With 2718, the first couple of times I ran it, PD didn't log in on its own and when I clicked on the link and got the "Sign in to DZ" window, it would freeze when I hit OK. That hadn't happened before. One time it froze for over two minutes (the window became grayed out and (Not Responding) was added to the title bar). I waited and it eventually responded but I still wasn't signed in. It worked when I hit OK again and the problem didn't occur the next 10 times I opened up PD.Since then, I've had times when PD successfully signs in and times when I have to manually try. Sometimes, when I click on OK it takes 20-30 seconds before the button comes back but I still can't sign in even after 4-5 attempts. If I close PD and reopen it, that sometimes works, but I don't know if there's something wrong with my system or if it's in the newer code.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 24. 2015 14:42

[Post New]
PD13 continually hangs when I try to get it to sign into DZ, either automatically or manually. What, does Hardware Encoding need to be disabled for that to keep from crashing PD as well?

(Sorry, couldn't help it - but PD is just too crash-happy to not poke fun at it once in a while)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 17:00

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Even PD veterans like myself need to vent frustration from time to time.
Love the software, love this forum, but there are limits, and the "child" needs to be publicly spanked occasionally. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry -

I wouldn't put DZ in the "utterly useless" category. I think the idea is right but the implementation is what makes it a bit of a mess. Without really understanding how website coding works, or is optimised, it seems to me that many of DZ's functionality issues come down to lack of speed.

Some things can be controlled (page code, layout, function etc.) & others can’t (quality of user contributions, number of concurrent users)

DZ is an interactive space – not just read only. Members are uploading & downloading 24/7. That requires bandwidth! The server isn’t up to the task it is designed to achieve.

DZ is graphic rich, with many thousands of animated thumbnails & videos (probably why PDR’s uploader is restricted to WMV) running at the same time, depending on traffic. Recently added to this are dynamic (changing) advertisements. Who would know whether all this graphic material is optimised to improve DZ’s performance.

With all this happening, there’s an almost consistent bottleneck & greater potential for error. DZ pages don’t seem to be optimised to cope with user demand...

... and a good example of that just happened to me. I was trying to upload a couple of basic title templates (I mean VERY basic). On each occasion I got this pop-up:

but both templates were uploaded successfully.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
I've been trying to DL a few Disney 4:3 DVD menues. A search shows 27 of them. I try to DL one, and all of a sudden there are 0 of them, and 27 PIP objects.
What a freakin mess. There is no excuse for such a shabby website. The amount of activity ULing and DLing relatively SMALL files should not be putting that kind of load on any server.
It's like it was set up in somebody's house on a dial-in modem line. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Perhaps "utterly useless much of the time" would have been a more accurate description. The point is that when I am editing, and suddenly find the need to seek an asset from the D-Zone, the rotten performance really interferes with the creative process.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28. 2015 08:55

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
kollmaalden [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2015 15:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have downloaded dozens of templates, they are all visible in the downloads folder. When I "double click" on them like the little instruction says, all I get is a request for what program to use to open the file!!! Does anyone else have this problem? Then to compound my issues I felt that maybe my version of Power Director was out of date, tried to down load PD 13, got it paid for but couldn't get the downloads to work, email says it can't open the file (appears to be a similar problem) Like the software but their DZ and download problems are frustrating!!!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
kollmaalden,
welcome to our great forum.
The templates you downloaded, are, or course, supposed to open on a double-click, and be installed.
Widescreen 16:9 can only be found when PD is set to 16:9, and 4:3 can be found only when in 4:3 mode. A notification bubble will tell you it worked, for each download.
There has been some talk recently about the downloads not opening properly, do a search on the forum here and see if you can find the answer.
It might be necessary to re-install PD to make it work. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Barry -

That's another little issue that does nothing to enhance to DZ's "less-than-useful" reputation. Some installations of PDR have a defective/out-of-date/incomplete EffectExtractor, making it impossible for users to install DZ effects.

kollmaalden - have a look here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/41623.page#217847 - it may help. Also, double clicking should automatically install an effect using EffectExtractor. If not, right click - choose Open With > DirectorZone Menu. Make it the default.

If none of that helps, try Barry's reinstall suggestion.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28. 2015 16:27

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!