Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video clips are flickering.
JDE77 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2015 02:10 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Ive disabled what i think is the hardware accel. Can someone make a list of what exactly to disable?

Eldor,
Thx for the heads uo about VLC. My question is even if VLC had codecs, how will that change my viewing problem in PD13?
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
As I've said, I'm a beginner with video editing, but it's been said here in your thread several times that it's very likely a codec problem. That means you may be missing the right codec or you have one that's outdated. Since I have not knowingly installed any codecs and your clip is working fine on my system, it's just a guess here, but it's possible that since I have VLC player installed on my system that it might have installed better codecs that are the reason your clip works on my system. Since it's a free program and highly regarded as a video viewer, it might be worth installing it to see if then PDR13 works better on your system with whatever codecs VLC might install.

Quote: Eldor,
Thx for the heads uo about VLC. My question is even if VLC had codecs, how will that change my viewing problem in PD13?
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Eldor,
Thx again. Im going to try that install when i get home.
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Ok this is my second attempt to post today, for some reason the book I wrote a minute ago with a detailed description on how the problem was resolved did not upload!!! yell

So here it is again:

1. I downloaded VLC

2. Opened my project in PD13 and still had flickering.

3. I went to ck the hardware accel settings again and BAM somehow they were already checked (i have checked them 1000 times since the beginning of this post to make sure the were NOT checked.

4. I played the cips again in the project and the flickering was still there.

5. I shut down PD13 and rebooted my PC.

6. I opened the project in PD13 and went to settings to make sure the Hardware Accelerator was NOT checked.

7. I played a clip and a video and there was NO flickering.

8. I shut down PD13 and opened the project again to check for flickering and there was none. I even opened a clip that i uploaded for everyone to see that had the flickering and even that video was NOT flickering.

SOOOOO, this tells me that maybe my checking and unchecking of hardware accelerator was not sticking! Maybe the reboot fixed it, maybe downloading VLC fixed it or maybe even both. I have opened and closed PD13 several times and it still works. This explains why randomly the clips and movie would not have the flickering and sometimes it would. So far so good!!

I apprectiate everybody's comments and help during this tragic time (LOL). I am so happy things are back to normal (so far).
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Vyacheslav - Thank you for the feedback. Glad that the problem is fixed on your pc now.

Brobilintexas on youtube - There is nothing abnormal in the JDE77 youtube video you commented on. It is entirely normal in PD11, PD12, and PD13 when preference/editing/switch to movie mode automatically during playback is checked. The produced video marker under the preview window (green up arrow) starts near the end of the clip because it is in the movie mode. Simply click on the Clip icon before hitting play and the produced video marker will start on the left at 0.0 like it should.

JDE77 - Can't tell you anything about your pc because we don't have a DxDiag.txt on your system. I remember in the past that my Prefs/HA settings to check or uncheck are different depending on whether I enable the Intel or AMD video card. You should uncheck all the boxes under Prefs/HA including Enable hardware decoding. That is uncheck every checkbox on that page and hit OK. Perform the same test as in that youtube video using svrt on 00037.mts and you should get the same good result that Tony got. Codecs on PD13 are different that that on PD12 from seeing the mediainfo.Let us know if any of this helps...

Update: Glad that your problem is resolved now. I see your last post as I was still typing.
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
tomasc,

Really appreciate your input. Yah there was some strange stuff going on, some of which may be my fault. Take a look at my DxDiag.txt and tell me what you think. I think my laptop has plenty of engine under the hood but I am up for any suggestions. I know that evey since I put in a SSD......WOW, this thing is 100mph. Unbelievable difference with loading, etc. From the time I press my power button and type in my passcode to loging is only about 10-15 seconds before I am running programs. PD13 loads in about 2-3 seconds. Amazing!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
87 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
273 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the DxDiag.txt. You do have a powerfull notebook pc. There is a newer Intel graphics driver dated 10/23/2014 available. Your old one is dated 9/9/2013. Updating it can help. Some of the netblue effects plug-ins can be hardware accellerated with AMD and Nvidia but not with the intel graphics that you have which can cause problems if HA enabled. Someone can correct me here if this is wrong.

The Diagnostic section show several application crashes including those from internet explorer, windows update, and adobe premiere elements. Updating that graphics driver can help if the problem is hardware acceleration on your other apps.

Have a nice day ! sealed
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tomasc. You know when I try and update the 2 graphics drivers it keeps telling me they are up to date! Maybe i should try out a website??

Also, maybe you can answer this....how can you select/make the radeon graphics card the primary one? Another words how can I make the notebook use the better card full time. I know we're getting off subject but I was just curious if that was even possible.
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
JDE77 and Vyacheslav...

i had posted this issue a few months ago in the German Forum and here. I use Original AVCHD MTS Streams filmed with Sony HX60 and Panasonic FZ150. They all are in 1080 50p. In PD12 and all other Video Editing Softwares like Nero Video 15, Magix Video Deluxe and Adobe Premiere Elements there is no issue like this.

Only in PD13 (since the first Version to newest Patch now) the issue is present.

When i import the Videos in PD13 in the Media Room and play it in the Video Handler Preview, there is no flickering. The Original Stream looks always Beautiful.

But when i import it in the timeline and play from then, then you can see it in the Preview Handler. It flickers irregulary and not so pronounced like your video, but it is present.

The Produced Videos all had this Issue, too. It's all the same if you turn on hardware acceleration to encode or not. It's all the same, if you produce a video clip or a BDMV.

I had installed Windows 8.1 Update 3 as a naked system with newest drivers, and only PD13. Same Issue.

This couldn't be a codec problem. This is a PD13 Issue.

Eventually i got tired...but i found this same solution a few months ago.

In the Properties i switch the Hardware Video Decoding to "OFF", and turn the Open CL to "On". Then there was no more flickering, in my case.

After Restart of PD13 the Preview of the Timeline Clips looks accurate, and the produced Videos, too.

Since then i leave this settings as above.

But the very important thing is, that Hardware Accerleration through the GPU didn't work anymore during producing a film.

This issue i hadn't before PD13. Not in PD12,11,10,9 and 8.

I had a Geforce GTX970 and the newest Geforce Drivers. I think there is an incompatibilty.

Temporaly it works, But Error is Error !! wink

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2015 19:25

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
tomasc - re your post at https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/43000.page#222372 - man do I feel stupid! I did have the "Auto switch to movie mode" checked, but had forgotten. Can't see the forest for the trees ometimes. embarassed

eldor - re your VLC post at https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/43000.page#222360 - I believe (I think I've read it somewhere) that the codecs installed with VLC (and some other media players) are internal only, meaning they're used by VLC for playback, but not accessed by other software. In other words, it would not affect playback in PDR. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but that's my understanding.

SO - after all that it came down to hardware acceleration. We could have made this a very short thread. laughing

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
blasiusxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, the issue is temperolaly solved. But GPU HW Decoding didn't work anymore. Nobody disturbs to this issue?! I think with HW Decoding On, the Processing works faster and smoother.

A basicly function can not be used and must be deactivared. Thats not the finish, i hope.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
blasiusxx - Look at this recent 2 page post 2nd thread from the bottom by Eldor: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/42898.page . His pc couldn't do multicam previously but now it flies when doing multicam with the GTX 960. Do a search for GTX 960 here in the english forum and you'll see some success stories. Your GTX 970 is the top of the line.

Maybe Eldor and the others can tell you if the Preferences on Hardware acceleration checkboxes are checked or not on their pc to get that fast video editing experience on PD13. It may not be necessary to have either or both boxes checked. They may have good suggestions on what to do. sealedsmilesurprised
blasiusxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Your word in God's Ears.

Okay, thanks.
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
blasiusxx,

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT!!! It is still a problem with PD13. Me having to deactivate the Hardware Accelerator is NOT a fix, it's a band-aid. The reason it's a PD13 problem is because I never had this problem on older versions of PD. This happened the second I downloaded PD13. So again, thanks for everybodys input on this thread. I am glad more people got involved because it shows that it is not an isolated incident on my PC alone. I still have not heard a thing back from Cyberlink. THIS WILL BE THE LAST DOWNLOAD I EVER PURCHASE FROM THEM.
[Post New]
Found your post whilst also looking for a solution to video flickering both during preview and after rendering, correct and I totally agree, disabling either of the Hardware Accelerator options DOES NOT FIX IT!!!

Indeed it is a software fault because it happened to me upon upgrade to PD13 and the problem is persistant ONLY in PD13... to all you that are saying turn things off, well, the reason for buying this software in the first place is the attraction to be able to use those options like Hardware Acceleration and suggestions to disable things is rediculous and defeats the whole purpose of buying this product in the first place.

Not happy with the product as I feel I have been duped and have wasted money on this worthless upgrade.

As a customer of Cyberlink products for nearly a decade, it maybe time to move on.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 19. 2015 00:56

*Blip*
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Something fundamental has changed in PD13.

If I look at my PD12 productions rendered to MP4 at 1920x1080 25p, my Slide Shows with keyframe motion from 15Mp 16:9 pics has no flicker and excellent image quality on my big screen Sony TV. Now with PD13 I can't get rid of the annoying flicker when using SlideShow or Magic Motion.

See thread Flicking images when using Magic motion http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42943.page

They claim faster rendering times with PD13 vs PD12. Does PD13 have a new render engine? If so it appears they should fix it or revert back to PD12 engine even if it is a bit slower. Speed improvements cannot sacrifice quality.

PD12 was great. I'm sorry I removed it when I "upgraded" to PD13.

Al

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2015 06:43

Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Something fundamental has changed in PD13.

PD12 was great. I'm sorry I removed it when I "upgraded" to PD13.

Al
So what is preventing you from re-installing Powerdirector 12?

If a Download, I hope you made a backup of the installation files. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl,

Good question. I mistakenly thought i should uninstall 12 to upgrade to 13 but now understand they co-exist OK.

I'm trying to save space on my SSD and this thread was about PD13 so my comments were to agree that PD13 has problems which I think they should fix and my comment was to motivate adressing PD13 problems.

I am a big Cyberlink fan and would like to think they they convinced me to spend the money on the upgrade for a good reason.

My reference to 12 was to confirm that the flickering problem is real by going back to my PD12 projects and comparing results.

To go back to PD12 is like saying "The solution to the problem is - Don't use the software you paid for!"!frown

Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I like Powerdirector. I do have several versions installed, so I can compare very quickly.

I have not experienced any flickering problems in PD 13 or in PD12.

My opinion is to use the tools you need when you need the tool. So Use PD 12 if PD 13 does not do the job.

PD13 has many features that do not exist in PD 12. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Hey Carl312, I too like PowerDirector, and like a lot of people here, I've also been investing hard earned cash into every single upgrade version to date, however, PD13 is the only version that has introduced the flickering.

I know my hardware and drivers are up to date for I had 3D animation, video editing and audio production in mind when I built this machine. All my other resource hungry software, DAZ3D, ZBrush, Adobe AU, Kontakt 5, and Pro Tools 11 run and perform flawlessly, all but PD13.

Cyberlink just need to fix it, plain and simple... instead of having to go back to the latter or having two versions installed, one being it's predecessor, is a silly procedure, maybe you're happy and content with comparisons to older versions but why compare the new to the old when it's obvious that the upgrade is suppose to be the new and improved version.

When I upgrade, I expect the software to exceed the latter, not to match it or drop to an inferior level because hindered with a bug.

Apart from the new UI, all I've really seen are just new content packs and the addition of H265, the engine is practically still the same as PD12 only the Hardware Acceleration is notably buggy when enabled during both preview and after the final video is converted and saved.

The tool is PD13 Hardware Acceleration, without this tool, rendering video in 2K or 4K, doubles in processing time. *Blip*
AlS
[Post New]
Tere - Have a look at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/40269.page#224654
First Video - PDR13 What's New - There is quite a lot - which is why I upgraded.

I agree with your comments. PDR12 is not an option. What about all the users who bought 13 and don't have 12??

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 20. 2015 03:31

Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10