Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video clips are flickering.
JDE77 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2015 02:10 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all.

I am not sure what is going on but for some reason when import certain videos, they flicker like the shadows and other colors just change about every 1 second. I thought that maybe it was just the preview but nope, even when I produce the outcome is the same. Thank you anyone!!!!

I just downloaded PD13 just FYI.
 Filename
Produce_0.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30989 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
210 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2015 23:05

[Post New]
Quote: Hello all.

I am not sure what is going on but for some reason when import certain videos, they flicker like the shadows and other colors just change about every 1 second. I thought that maybe it was just the preview but nope, even when I produce the outcome is the same. Thank you anyone!!!!

I just downloaded PD13 just FYI.

My guess that can be a problem with your PC.If you post the original video can check on our PC, and if the PD case be causing this effect, try to find a solution. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply. I failed to mention that the video plays fine on all other medias outlets. It's only in PD13 where I'm having this problem. Thanks.
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Anyone one else want to give this a try? Support seems to be quite slow. Also, for the senior contributors that spend more time lecturing the "newbie" on the correct way to start a post, take some of that time to help with the problem and less time typing a story on the "do's and don'ts". I am here for help and conversation, not a lecture. Thanks.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See the attached. Post reply is not working well here.
[Thumb - Answer.jpg]
 Filename
Answer.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Reply to this post
 Filesize
200 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
130 time(s)
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks tomasc, unfortunately this did not help. I am getting so frustrated with support. They are trying to say my drivers are not updated, etc. I have been using PD12 and Adobe for a LONG time until about 4 days ago. I updated to PD13 and now it is giving me problems. ONLY PD13!! Everything else is working as designed.
Vyacheslav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2015 06:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all! I recently encountered the exact same problem in PD 13. Who can help us?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I've never seen that flickering in a produced file from PDR - EVER

Guys/Gals - have you unchecked ALL hardware acceleration options before producing?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,
Thank you for the response! I have tried unchecking everything that I can think of. The flickering happens before producing while I am still building the video and also afterwards. Weird thing is that not all files/videos are doing it, just certain ones. I turned off shadowing and anything else I could find. Could you maybe make a list of what to turn off? Again, the flickering only happens when viewing the files in PD13, nothing else.
Your help is appreciated!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to see the original unmodified footage.

Was there Flash cameras at the game while you were filming? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
What is your preview resolution set too? If I read this right, the flickering happens while building the video. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312,

Thank you for the reply. I am attaching a clip thats not ran through PD13 and a clip produced in PD13. Reminder that the clips i bring in to PD13 have this strange flickering during the preview/pre producing and post producing. No other program that i open the files with are doing this. Also a reminder, i used PD12 for quite some time until about 4 days ago. Never had this problem until after the update to 13. Let me know what you think.
Myk,

Thank you for the reply also. I have changed the preview to low resolution all the way up to Full HD and nothing changes.
NOTE: Last night i opened the project and all of the sudden the files were playing without flickering. I did not check all the clips but the ones i previewed were working. But as fast as it worked, it began to flicker again.
 Filename
00037.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
no flicker - This is unmodified file
 Filesize
25920 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
208 time(s)
 Filename
Produce_1.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
flicker - this is put through PD13
 Filesize
30480 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
200 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2015 12:18

JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl,
Forgot to mention that there was no flash going on.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JDE77. Thanks very much for uploading both versions of the clip. Like Tony said, I've never seen anything like this either, although the good news is I have a pretty good idea of how to fix this smile

On my system, trying to preview either of your clips from the media library crashed PD13 instantly, so it's pretty clear that we're dealing with an incompatible video format. You may have installed software that came with your video camera but it's likely that PD13 can't use those codecs. And yes, I know you had no problems with PD12 but they are very different "under the hood."

Oddly enough, I can preview both clips in PD13 if I put them in the timeline first, and there's no sign of the color shifts of flickering that show up in your produced file.

The fix I'd like you to test is to try the attached clip, which I ran through the free FormatFactory app and converted to MP4. It only took 3 seconds to convert so it won't be too much extra work if you have to do this for all your clips, especially since you can drag multiple clips in and FF will convert 1 video per CPU simultaneously (i.e. on an i7 processor it will convert 4 videos at the same time).

Please download the attached and converted file and see if that works better.
 Filename
00037.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
converted with FormatFactory
 Filesize
12288 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
228 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl,
Forgot to mention that there was no flash going on.

Thank you for the uploads. You are correct there is no flashing in the original footage.

I am concerned that you are using Hardware Acceleraion and your Video card driver may be acting up. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
If I had a hardware problem wouldn't all the applications I use have the same flickering issue? All my videos from my Sony A77 and my GoPro work fine in Adobe, etc.

Note: My GoPro footage does not flicker when I import it into PD13.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If I had a hardware problem wouldn't all the applications I use have the same flickering issue? All my videos from my Sony A77 and my GoPro work fine in Adobe, etc.

Note: My GoPro footage does not flicker when I import it into PD13.

Not necessarily. Since it looks like this is a codec issue, how each program will respond depends directly on how that program's codec interprets each clip. Each program may have their own version of each codec, or they may choose to use ones that are universally installed on your machine. The point is that you're having difficulty with specific clips in a specific program, so that's where the focus should be.

Any luck with the converted clip?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

JDE77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
optodata,
Thanks for the reply and the hard work trying to diagnose the issue. Well I tried your converted file and it worked. I did not see any flickering. With that said, I'm pretty bummed that I may have to convert all my footage each and every time. I use a Sony A77 DSLR and have never had any problems. My GoPro footage works fine. I just don't see how an upgraded software would change anything that was working before. I'm quite frustrated. I am happy that I just might have a solution though. It's worth noting again that not all the clips I imported were originally doing the flickering, only certain ones (although they all came from the Sony A77). Very strange. Also note that last night when I opened the project, the flickering stopped for a short time and started again.

All that said, can you please tell me what to use and how to convert my footage to MP4? your help is VERY appreciated. Sad thing is that I already have about 3 hours of footage clipped, etc. before I noticed the flickering. I have to start all over!!!!
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
This is strange... Neither of those clips cause my PDR 13 to crash and the video preview (even without adding the video to the timeline) proceeds smoothly. The .M2TS file does show some flicker (the unmodified MTS file doesn't) but until I looked at the original, I suspected the lights in the arena to be the culprit, but I guess that's not the case.

Just for fun, I added the MTS file to my timeline and rendered the range and produced an M2TS file at 1920x1080 @ 30fps and 40Mbps. No flicker at all. And much better than what JDE77 uploaded.

For what it's worth.

optodata
[Post New]
Glad to hear that!

There's actually a way to preserve everything you've done, so follow these instructions carefully:

1. Close PD13

2. MOVE (don't copy) all the original clips that are in your project to a new folder

3. Download and install FormatFactory. Note that you may need to watch for adware

4. Open FF and click on the Video tab, then click MP4

5. In the Output Folder dropdown list, browse to the original folder where PD expects the clips to be and select that

6. Now drag your clips from the new folder into to the open window in FF, and click OK (you can do all of them or in batches)

7. Click on Click to Start and wait for the conversions to finish

8. At this point, you should have converted copies of all your original clips in the folder where PD13 can find them, but they have .MP4 extensions instead of .MTS

9. Since you have lots of files to rename, you won't want to do them manually. There are many ways to accomplish this, and this article has a good list, starting about halfway down the page. Choose whichever works best for you, and if you use the command prompt method just be sure you navigate to the directory/folder where your new MP4 clips are located before suing the ren command

10. open PD13 and get on with your editing!

YouTube/optodata