Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't import director zone downloaded sound effects (.dza) file into project
Charlie72703
Newbie Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas Joined: Jun 30, 2014 15:50 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

After misunderstanding (read I didn't read your instructions completely) I had success. That fixed it. Is someone going to post this in CL? It might be a common problem. Charlie
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Charlie -

Yes - the issue has been reported in the forums quite a few times. I don't know if it's a "common" problem but it's certainly NOT a one-off event. In fact, it happened to me recently. I resolved it by replacing the whole "Shared Files" folder containing the EffectExtractor application.

I believe something has been messed up during a patch installation because PDR 13 has functioned fine for months. Then, for no apparent reason, it went from seamlessly installing DZ effects to failing. I was suddenly having the same issues others had reported.

I was unaware whether or not the issue had previously been reported to CyberLink, but it's been reported now. I've just sent off screenshots & details.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
dee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 30, 2015 02:17 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem, but don't know quite what to do once I have downloaded your file, do I simply delete the effects extractor files? and then how would I install your downloaded file. Thankyou denise
dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have the same problem, but don't know quite what to do once I have downloaded your file, do I simply delete the effects extractor files? and then how would I install your downloaded file. Thankyou denise
dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
HELLO TOny Re Director Zone download, I have the same problem, but don't know quite what to do once I have downloaded your file , do I simply delete the effects extractor files? and then how would I install your downloaded file. Thankyou denise
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi dee -

Before you try anything, it's worth knowing that one user recently solved thier DZ installaion isue just by correcting file associations - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43513.page#226203 you can do that by right clicking on the downloaded effect and selecting Open with > DirectorZone Menu

If that fails, you can try replacing the Effect Extractor with the file I attached:

1. Unzip the attached file, EfEx.zip

2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files

3. Replace the EffectExtractor.exe file with the one in the zip folder

Hopefully, one of those procedures will help resolve the issue.

Cheers - Tony
dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Tony
Apologies for the multiple posts yesterday, still learning.
However after sending mine and before receiving your post I managed to successfully download and install 9 effects from director zone of 50 attempted.
What I realised was the 9 effects that worked showed a purple box icon where all the others show a blank page icon and do not install. I also noticed that of the succesfull 9, 3 downloaded automatically into PD where as the other 6 needed
dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
sorry, clicked when I shouldn't have.
continued...... 6 needed to be clicked to open in PD.
Received your post tried the "open with" on a Page Icon and lost all the box icons on the others (however the effects are still working)
Opened the zip files and dropped into shared files but have no improvement. I dont know if any of this is helpful Denise
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi dee -

The fact that many of your downloaded DZ effects have a "blank" icon rather than the little gift box pic is an indication that the files are not properly associated with DirectorZone Menu.

What you're experiencing is consistent with other users who've had trouble installing particular types of effects, rather than ALL effects.

Have you tried resetting the file associations? There are two ways to do this shown here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43776.page#226237

Have you tried replacing EffectExtractor yet?

Cheers - Tony
dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for replying Tony,
you may have missed it but I did mention before that I unzipped your file and dragged it into the shared files(effect extractor) but no improvements when I tried to download another effect.
.I will now attempt to reset the file associations as per your suggestion. DENISE
ynotfish
[Post New]
Yes - I missed it because you & I were posting at the same time. Sorry that didn't help.

Cheers - Tony
dee [Avatar]
[Post New]
I I have tried resetting file association in control panel they all appear to be correct however.subsequent downloading has not improved anything unfortunately, I also noticed it was endlessly searching.
.I will briefly run through replacing the effects extractor in case i have done it incorrectly.
1. downloaded your file opend the zip file
2. program files x86 cyberlink shared files
3.replace the effect extractor exe with the 1 from the zip file of the same name by dropping it into shared files, and said yes to replacing the old file.