Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't import director zone downloaded sound effects (.dza) file into project
Zhaanish [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 30, 2014 14:11 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I downloaded a sound effect from director zone. When I try to import the file, a .dza file, into my project, I get an error that the file is an unsupported format. I also tried clicking the import media file>download sound effects from directorzone and it still downloads it to my "download" folder and when I try to import it I get the same error.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Zhaanish -

I don't know what might be causing the issue for you. Here, whichever method I use, .dza files install without a problem. Waterfox is my default browser.

Have you tried using a different browser? Chrome? Explorer?

Could you post the DZ link to a particular audio clip that gave you the "unsupported format" alert?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
18tillidie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Los Angeles, CA Joined: Sep 29, 2014 12:24 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure if audio files behave the same as PIP templates and title templates etc from DZ, but I assume they do...

Go to your Downloads folder and find the .dza file and double click the file to run the install process. This will install it into PD.

Cheers.
https://vimeo.com/timsanson
Zhaanish [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's the link, it's called Camera Shutter 1

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/126369934

I tried double clicking the file and nothing I could see happened. If it was installed, in which directory would it appear and with what file extension? I searched my entire hard drive and I don't see that file with any extension other than .dza.

Thanks!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Yes - that one's fine.

If installed correctly, you'll find the actual Camera Shutter 1.M4A file in C:\Users\Public\CyberLink\Downloaded Audio

In PDR 13, you'll find it in the Media Library.

Cheers - Tony
Zhaanish [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a C:\Users\Public\CyberLink director, but no Downloaded Audio. I tried double clicking the file again and I get a spinning progress indicator, but no message and no .m4a file.

Does anyone know the name of the .exe in Power Director 13 that will install the .dza file? If so I can right click the file and then select the .exe to install it.

Thanks!
ynotfish
[Post New]
Those folders are generated the first time you install downloaded effects - that's why they're not present for you yet.

The thing that installs the effects is called EffectExtractor.exe and you'll find it at C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files

Using it manually, it works by dragging and dropping the DZ template onto the application - see screen capture attached.

Possibly, once you do it that way the first time, it will click in and work properly for you as normal.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
EffectExtractor.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
430 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
442 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2014 12:04

Zhaanish [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found EffectExtractor.exe - double clicked it and got that progress spinner then nothing. So I tried to run as administrator and again spinner, then nothing. Do you think I need to reinstall Powerdirector or contact support at this point?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Did you try dragging & dropping the template onto EffectExtractor?

What happened?
Zhaanish [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I mentioned EffectExtractor.exe won't even open so I can't drag anything into it. Is there another way to open EffectExtractor?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Effectextractor won't open like other software - just pick up the .dza file and drop it on the Effectextractor.exe icon

[Thumb - FX Extractor.png]
 Filename
FX Extractor.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
55 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1658 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2014 16:14

Zhaanish [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did exactly what you said - dragged the .dza file onto the extractor and got the spinner and then nothing again.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Do you think I need to reinstall Powerdirector

Yes - I'd give it a good scrub with Revo Uninstaller first.

or contact support at this point?

Probably not yet.

Cheers - Tony
Zhaanish [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. Still the same problem. It feels like I'm missing some simple step.
ynotfish
[Post New]
It might soon be time to contact Tech Support

What happens when you try to install the attached audio clip template (downloaded from DZ)?

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
into.dza
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
673 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
488 time(s)

Andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2015 16:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have this problem also. Were you able to resolve this through technical support? It seems like EffectExtractor.exe is broken as it doesn't seem to do anything. I've also tried running it from the command line with no options, with a valid .dza file path, and with a deliberately wrong file path and it does nothing.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Andrew -

I have no idea whether the OP's issue was resolved (no feedback).

1. Have you tried installing the .dza file attached above?
2. Have you tried dropping the .dza file onto EffectExtractor, as described above?

There must be a simple (once it's discovered) reason the some users have an issue with extracting effects. This is just a stab in the dark... try replacing the EffectExtractor.exe & EffectExtractor.exe.manifest files in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files with those in the attached zip.

Who knows? It might work. Like I said - a stab in the dark.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
EfEx.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
461 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1036 time(s)

Andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2015 16:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony;

I did try 1&2 and there was no luck, something seems to be wrong with my version of EffectExtractor.exe.

I tried your attached .exe file and it works! Unbelievable! Thanks!

The EffectExtractor.exe.manifest files diffed as identical so I kept my own. The .exe files look like this:

Your: EffectExtractor.exe, 982,792 bytes
My: EffectExtractor.exe 525,608 bytes

So definitely different. The date on my file is Oct 19/2010. Maybe they included the wrong version of this file in the download installer for PowerDirector 13? The install seemed to go fine. I can't understand how this could have happened, I'm chalking it up to a bug in the installer.

But anyways, thanks for uploading your .exe file, that did the trick for me!

Thanks,
Andrew.

Charlie72703
Newbie Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas Joined: Jun 30, 2014 15:50 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the zip and then extracted it but the application won't run. Oh, nevermind I reread what you said and will try replacing it as indicated. A dur...moment.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2015 21:09

Charlie
Charlie72703
Newbie Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas Joined: Jun 30, 2014 15:50 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

After misunderstanding (read I didn't read your instructions completely) I had success. That fixed it. Is someone going to post this in CL? It might be a common problem. Charlie