Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you create folders in media library?
fortunestar21 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Pittsburgh, PA Joined: Mar 08, 2014 14:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

Sorry if this sounds very noobish. I've used Final Cut Pro 7 in the past, Adobe Premier, and also VideoStudio Pro in the past. All of them have the ability to create folders or "bins", to organize your media when editing. This is one of the first steps I take when I start editing a video. I organize the clips into folders, like "Shoot 1", "Shoot 2", "Close-Ups" "B-Roll", etc.

As of now, every time I import my media, (even when I only import a specific folder), it is just thrown into the media library and kind of jumbled. I've tried searching for ways to create a new folder to separate and organize my media but I can't seem to do this. I would imagine there is a way because PowerDirector was rated very high up there with the other programs I mentioned, so it's probably right in front of my face Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
wh7262
Member Location: Carrollton, TX Joined: Apr 25, 2011 10:07 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Here is what I do and it works for me.
Go into Preferences > Project > and unchecked, if checked, the following:
"Automatically load the last project when PowerDirector opens"
"Automatically load sample clips when PowerDirector opens."

Now start a New Project, add your images, videos, music and etc. Then go to File > " Save Project As", give it a name that can be in a sequential format. Please start out doing a "Save Project As" during the editing process, it will save you a lot of headaches. I try and do a "Save Project As" about every 20 minutes.
An example of a sequential format is this:
Project Sky-01
Project Sky-02
Project Sky-03
Project Sky-04 and so on, and so on.

This insures me that if a failure occurs does within the program itself or a power failure, then I have a viable working project at least back to the last 20 minutes saved and can then start back at a descent starting point rather than all over. This procedure should be followed on any program that one is doing work in, not just PowerDirector.

When "Save Project As" is activated, all of the media contents showing in the pane will be saved. So yes this could be called a "Folder" or type thereof.

Once completed and satisfied the editing and have produced it and one wants to, they can then delete all of the older projects that are related to this particular projects, BUT NOT TO OTHER PROJECTS, please.

Hope this has been of some help, if needing more please feel free to contact me.

If done this way, then project has it Thanks,
Bill in Texas

PD-12, PD-14 and PD15 is installed on this iMAC computer under BootCamp, and PD's are running great:
DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
System Model: iMac11,2
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4022MB RAM
Page File: 2031MB used, 6010MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

PD-12 PowerDirector Ultra: 12.0.3403.0

PD-14 PowerDirector Ultra: 14.0.1728.0
SR numbers: VDE14

PD-15 Power Director Ultra
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
See if this thread helps...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/32590.page#176974
wh7262
[Post New]
Just In My Humble Old Age Opinion, I don't see how TAGS can be of any more of a help other than for filtering the media types.

If one does this and then Opens a New or Existing Project, the program will ask if you want to merge this Media Library into the New Project. If answered yes, then those TAGS contents are shown only in the Media Content area, not in the TAG area. Right, wrong, maybe??

I just don't see where TAGS can be of any benefit if they cannot be readily available in another projects as well.

Please, help me to understand what I am missing out on. Can someone make a short tutorial video and post it somewhere so one can get a grasp on TAGS?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2014 17:03

Thanks,
Bill in Texas

PD-12, PD-14 and PD15 is installed on this iMAC computer under BootCamp, and PD's are running great:
DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi guys,
Sorry if this sounds very noobish. I've used Final Cut Pro 7 in the past, Adobe Premier, and also VideoStudio Pro in the past. All of them have the ability to create folders or "bins", to organize your media when editing. This is one of the first steps I take when I start editing a video. I organize the clips into folders, like "Shoot 1", "Shoot 2", "Close-Ups" "B-Roll", etc.
As of now, every time I import my media, (even when I only import a specific folder), it is just thrown into the media library and kind of jumbled. I've tried searching for ways to create a new folder to separate and organize my media but I can't seem to do this. I would imagine there is a way because PowerDirector was rated very high up there with the other programs I mentioned, so it's probably right in front of my face Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi

On the media tab in the media library use the '+' to create folders.

You can then drag your media into the different newly created folders.

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

fortunestar21 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Pittsburgh, PA Joined: Mar 08, 2014 14:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Got it, thanks! Although they are now called tags instead of folders, they work the same way. "Add tag" = "add folder". Thanks again!
wh7262
[Post New]
I went into PD-12 and experimented a little concerning "Tags/Folders", here are the results:
1. Created a new project
2. Added Tags
3. Placed files inside each of the newly created Tags.
5. Saved project as Test-02.pds.
(see attached image named "New Project with Tags added.png"

6. While still in Test-02.pds project went to File > New Workspace
7. this created a new project, but kept the existing Tags and files
(see attached image named "New Workspace with Tags remaining.png"

8. While in this newly created workspace, went to File > New Project
9. This time, all of the Tags and files were gone.
(see attached file named "New-Project.png"

10. Close down PD-12 and reopened it.
11. Went to File > Open Project, went to folder in computer containing that project and clicked on it.
12. All Tags and files were there.
13. Then went to Files . New Project
14. It created a new project, but did contained the Tags or files from the other project.

Tags are great if one understands that these newly created TAGS with Files within are not available in a completely "New Project". These Tags-Files are not stored like Folders & Files are on your computer once created there - they are available until deleted. Those created Tags-Files are only available in their own created project, not unless put into another project by making a "New Workspace" or by going to File > Insert Project or by Packing the Project and then reopen the project.

[Thumb - New-Project.png]
 Filename
New-Project.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
66 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
287 time(s)
[Thumb - New Workspace with Tags remaining.png]
 Filename
New Workspace with Tags remaining.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
285 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
290 time(s)
[Thumb - New Project with Tags added.png]
 Filename
New Project with Tags added.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
275 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
244 time(s)
Thanks,
Bill in Texas

DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
So - it's a language issue.

"Tags", as applied in PD's Media Library, means temporary (for the project) folders.

Bill - that's an interesting finding. Something I find "interesting" (spelt a-n-n-o-y-i-n-g) is whan I create "tags" in (say) the Effects Room and populate them... after I close and re-open PD, my custom "tags" have been evacuated! Empty. Nothing in 'em.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!