Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SUCCESS!! - Burning DVDs with Menus
Mark H. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina Joined: Jul 13, 2008 23:00 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
After several trials and tribulations, I've now been able to consistently burn DVDs to a folder and to a DVD disc with menus.

Here's some background on the input clips:

4 - MPEG-4 AVC (AVCHD) clips. All 4 together total to about 3.5GB.
A few MP3 songs used for overlay and background.

My orginal workflow had me creating one large project. I edited, split, used magic clean, etc. everything within one .PDS. After editing, I'd add the chapters I wanted. I then entered the Burn Disc process, selected the menu template I wanted and began burning. The burn process (both to folder and disc) always failed 88% through...always. If I told the burn process to burn without a menu, everything worked just fine.

Dafydd suggested an experiment which led me to the following workflow.

1. Using the individual clips, create "scene" level projects. Do all editing within the scene project.
2. Render each scene project to the file of choice. I selected the MPEG-2 1920x1080 HQ default template. Doing so allowed me to view the scene file outside of PD7 without the need for additional codecs.
3. Save all scene renderings into a "scenes" folder.
4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 until all scenes are rendered.
5. Create a "final" project and import the folder containing all of the scenes.
6. Splice all the scenes together in the desired order including any transistions as needed.
7. Make sure you save the project periodically.
8. Finally, add the chapters as desired being sure to avoid adding a chapter where two scenes have been spliced togther with or without a transition. Place the chapter marker a few frames before or after the beginning/end of the splice/transition.
9. Enter the burn process and select the menu template you desire.
10. Reauthor the menu template as needed.
11. Save the "final" project before continuing with the burn.
12. Now burn the project to a folder or to disc.
13. It worked!! At least it worked for me.

I was able to do this technique 3 times in a row without failure.

I also did this without killing any background processes within WINXP and without uninstalling any other software.

To prove to myself nothing else on the PC changed, I went back to my oringial large project and tried the burn. It failed at the ususal 88%.

The only conclusion I can draw, is that there is too much going on within one large project for PD7. For some reason, it prefers (works better) when performing smaller units of work.

I did run into a problem with the magic clean features, color and shake. Any magic clean feature I selected added significant noise (artifacts, motion blur, etc) to the rendered scene. This will be posted under another topic.

I hope others will find this workflow useful and will ultimately have success with this software.

Many thanks to Dafydd for the help!!

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Aug 10. 2008 11:57

Regards,

Mark H.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Mark,

Thank you for the excellent write up. A guide for others to follow!

Here's a little bit more information readers may appreciate. Prior to the "experiment" which Mark has eluded to he carried out a simple test.

Please try it out.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART H

The results Mark got helped determined what we should try next.

I always edit in sections, I have been recommending this method for a long time.

Once again, thank you Mark. You have been working hard to resolve this issue, providing CyberLink with data and reports. I'm pleased my suggestions/experiment helped resolve the problem.

Dafydd
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I hope CL continues through and solves the real issue. Maybe they have enough data now. Breaking the project into smaller pieces and importing again for chapter definition is a workaround to something PD7 should handle easily.

I'd like to see the source of the issue corrected, not just a video editors workaround.

Jeff
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, me too - thanks Jeff.

If you have an opinion on this, then voice it just as Jeff has done. I will refer feedback. Please post it on the forum.

Please do NOT post issues here that should be under a new topic, I'll just delete them.

Dafydd
Scott [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 23:22 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello All,

I have been able to burn my project twice. The first time was after I installed the latest version of Quick time. After I did this I burned my project. I then installed the latest version of Real player. After that the project would stop at 88%. I reinstalled Quick time and was able to burn my project again without any issues.

The project was a large 2 hour video with 39 chapters and music with titles.

I will try to duplicated the problem again when I have time to see if this really is the problem. The only thing I know is that it worked and I burn the project. I also hope CL can fix this problem. I was ready to give up and use another product.

Best of luck
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Scott,

Excellent information. Thank you for sharing it. Something similar knocked out PD6 early on!

I have passed the data onto CyberLink CS and RD.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 12. 2008 03:48

Tomasz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2008 18:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This solution really works!
It seems that PD has some problems with adding menu to a movie, that is made of different video types.
Since I saved all the media in same format (MPEG-2) error c0040004 has disappeared. Previously I got one part encoded as MPEG-2, others (there were four) as AVI. And sure, there were no problems in creating DVD without a menu, but I've bought the program to create cool DVDs

So - for anyone who is still searching for solution - try to encode all files, that belongs to your project, into the same video type.
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Kingstree, SC Joined: Jan 24, 2008 18:56 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hey I hope someone can help me with this issue. Here's the scenario...I recently got my computer cleaned, because of viruses/spyware. So of course I had re-install PD6 back onto it. Everything's working fine, but when I go to create disc, I get an error stating "Menus folder does not exist. There may been a problem during installation. Please install again. Well, when I try to un-install it, I don't see it in my add/remove programs from CTRL panel, nor will it let me uninstall from the programs tab in the start menu. So how do I uninstall it? Only God Can Judge Me...
Jimmerz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2009 00:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am SHOCKED that people find this method acceptable as a workaround. I recently downloaded the trial of PowerDirector 7 and it has been a complete waste of hours of my time.

I really WANT to like this software, but it's making it impossible. I too am getting the C0040004 error when trying to create DVD. I have absolutely no interest in rendering each scene independently. The reason I'm looking into this product in the first place is for ease of use. I tried the reinstall of Quicktime method that Scott suggested to no avail. No matter what I do it crashes at 96%. I was able to successfully burn a DVD with no menu, so it seems to be an issue with authoring the menu.

I am using Vista and all of my imported files are DV AVI files.

I am also unable to capture any video from my camcorder (Panasonic GS70), but that is a minor quibble for me since I capture all of my video using Scenalyzer. But when I attempt to capture in PowerDirector it starts to access the camcorder (I hear the tape start to churn), and then crashes.

I tried just about every consumer level video editor and like this one the best. Unfortunately unless I can get this problem resolved (without some convoluted workaround) I'll be purchasing elsewhere.

I also tried Scott's suggestion of reinstalling Quicktime to no avail.

Also, not sure if this is meaningful, but all of my AVI files are on a file server on my home network.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2009 00:21