Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video clip out of sync
Vinh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2008 12:16 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I recently bought powerdirector 7 deluxe and tried to make our wedding video. The video includes several video clips and lots of pictures. After doing some editing some of the later video clip's sound seems to be out of sync with the video. The sound would start before the video. I cannot find a way to re sync the video. Even if i delete the video and then reinsert the video, the out of sync keep on coming back. Please help.
[Post New]
vinh,

I've run into the same problem. Raw video is OK, but when I edit and convert to AVI or WMV audio is out of sync like 1 - 1.5 minutes from
video. Can't figure it out and I'm frustrated. Also, when I insert a
power-point slide, end production jumps around like a carnival ride.

I've tried: 1. Turning off wireless internet 2. closing all non-essential
programs 3. Transferred all movies, pics to ext hard drive

in an effort to relieve any memory or energy problems. Does mod or adm, anyone have some ideas? Thanks

Sara Jane
mrsgoodcash@gmail.com
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Both of your issues appears to be a frame droppage - could be caused during capture and depends upon the format and camera you are using.

Could you give some camera details and be prepared to make available a small 10 second clip (capture it, no processing) with the audio fault? A longer 30 second clip as well please. I also will need to know the region (NTSC or PAL) you're in.

Let me know when you have these prepared.

Have either of you contacted Customer Support? They should be your first "port of call" (sorry Sara for the pun).
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/cs/support/new_site/support_index.html

thanks

Dafydd

[Post New]
Hey Dafydd,

I'm here in the States (NTSC). I'm attempting to create a video
created from Webcam Logitech Pro 9000 (wmv), add some scenery,
edit, and produce. The powerpoint inserts jumped around and
audio out of sync.

I have since produced another video this AM with PowerDir 6 and
it came out fine. Using WMV webcam footage, powerpoint inserts,
and some special effects. I turned off all non-essential programs,
disabled my wireless connection, and my anti-virus software.
Seemed to go without a glitch.

I'm using my Gateway 3522 Laptop with 60 GB harddrive, and 512 ram.
Can't remember s-dram. Figure I'm going to need an upgrade on RAM.

Any other ideas?

Sara Jane
mrsgoodcash@gmail.com

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2008 17:04

Vinh [Avatar]
[Post New]
The video is captured by a canon sureshot that make it into a AVI file. The files play back fine in media player and even the program in power director. I believe the setting for the camera is NTSC.

It seems when a video is added to the time line with lot of pictures and other video and some editing like magic motion are applied to the photos in the timeline and later the video is deleted, this cause the audio time line to be out of sync and any video added later will be out of sync.

Here is a sample of the video file you requested. Thank you for the help.

I would attach the video but the file limit is only 3 mb. Again, the AVI file play fine on other programs.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sara Jane,

I've read elsewhere in the forum you're going to adopt a different video editing strategy - one that I've been using for years and one "pros" use... short and sweet and slap it altogether to make a beautiful video cake at the end! Let me know what the situation is now.

Vinh.

Ok, video and it's audio are linked together in the uptodate camera (webcams and old cameras used analogue and they're problematic to use) I'm not sure what you're experiencing so perhaps you could attach a screen shot image to your posting of PD7...more than one etc.

Take a look at the following guides - they will help you.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A, D, E & F (F will make image capture easier).

Dafydd
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 08, 2008 07:41 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have experienced the same video/audio sync prob. Did the same: deleted the clip from the timeline and reimported the clip-didn't work. I found by right-clicking on the video clip in the timeline and selecting split audio the video and audio got back into sync, don't ask me why.
Now if somebody can tell me why the audio gets out of sync in the first place that would be great and also why some audio clips seem to lose their link in the timeline. ie the audio clip shows up in the timeline, it doesn't play however, and there is no green tick in the media clip section, it is like the timeline has lost the path to the source file. This has happened numerous times.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Vinh and Mark,

What build of PD7 are you using please. The latest build is 1829. I'd like you both to be using that version and then report back. Sara Jane, you can get the latest build as well but I think your issue isn't exactly the same as Vinh and Mark.

As I have mentioned previously (elsewhere on the forum) you need to request the latest build 1829 from Customer support. If you need a reason - Audio Sequence problems is good enough - quote the forum posting.
Customer Support:
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/cs/support/new_site/support_index.html

Please report back - basically I need to know the situation and you have tested etc with the latest build, 1829, before I can move this to CyberLink RD ok.

I am concerned and I want this sorted.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2008 04:41

Mark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
As requested I downloaded build 1829. The audio/video sync problem is still there. I am editing golf footage and it looks rather odd as the golfer swings with the audio of the hit of the golf ball out of sync. Once again, if I split the audio from the V1 track, the audio is back in sync with the footage.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Mark,

Ok, before we take this issue further I need you to carry out an additional test with a completely new file.

1. capture it, bring it in and play it from the time-line.
2. I want to know what the avi actually is. Is it a mpeg4 compressed file and have you inmstalled DivX onto your computer (will read and produce thie avi extention on a mpeg4 file).

PD7 does not come with the DivX installation package, while PD6 did. What you need to do is download and install DivX http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/
Once installed it will be available from within PD7.

I'm not offering DivX as a solution at this time.... just clearing up a few possible loose ends.

After you have carried out the above please let me know.

Dafydd
Mark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
The files in question are avc H.264 MP4 files from a SANYO HD700 video camera. They have a .mp4 extension. I do have divx installed.
I opened a new project, imported one file, played fine, however, when I imported that same file and put it at the end of the timeline that I'm currently working on, the audio is out of sync, if I split the audio, the audio is back in sync, this occurred with the native MP4 files and with a divx file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 10. 2008 10:24

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Mark,

1. Please can you send me the pds (zip it first though)
2. How big is the .mp4 file - depends how big it is, perhaps you could upload it for testing to a CyberLink ftp location.

I'll send you an email.

If Vinh and Sara Jane are reading these posts - I'd like their project files and their video files as well please - getting to the bottom of this type of issue will need comparison files from different sources - localising the issue.

The pds file will be passed onto the head of RD/PD at CyberLink.

Dafydd
Arturo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 01:24 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I just switched from Pinnacle Studio to PD7 Ultra and just finished a project for a family gathering. I ran into this problem and wasted so much time because I had to redo the project over and over again.

By trial and error, I found that splitting the video and audio corrected the sync problem.... unless after splitting the audio you do more editing. In that case, the video and audio will get out of sync again. I got around that by producing each segment of the problematic video-audio sync areas as separate video files (mpg in my case) and dropping them back into the project timeline.

I noted that another member, Mark, has found this same solution.

Try it because it works.

Hope this helps.

Arturo
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
To locate this error I have been requesting projects WITH the audio sync issue - when opened the error reappears in the project.

The pds file will be sent to RD at CyberLink.

Do you have a pds/project file which contains the audio sync issue, if you have send me a PM.

Audio sync issues need to be isolated by RD and resolved....

Dafydd
Arturo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 01:24 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

I was going to send you a sample project with the sync issues because I agree one hundred percent that the problem needs to be resolved by Cyberlink.

Now here's the problem. I can not send you the actual project that I worked on because first of all, the file is huge and secondly, there's privacy issues because other people are in the project and do not want it distributed.

I tried duplicating the issue by creating a generic 30-second 3MB project so I can e-mail that to you, but here's what I found out. The sync issues does not occur with short projects. The original project that I worked on was 20 minutes and it had still pictures, videos, titles, PIP, music, etc. The first part of the project had mostly still pictures with titles and transitions. Towards the middle and up to almost the end of the project, I had videos and still pictures. That is where the sync problems occur. And the only way it got corrected was to split the video and audio. However, if more editing is done, then the sync problem reappears. As I mentioned before, my workaround was to produce each problematic segment as separate video files and dropping them back into the project.

The only thing I can suggest is maybe try creating a project and see if you run into the same problems. The sync problem is there and I am not the only person who has ran into this problem.

Sorry I can not be of more help by sending the actual project.

Arturo

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Arturo,

I've just sent you a PM. All I need for the moment is the pds of the project. Remember to zip it.

Dafydd
Wesley R. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2008 11:28 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Using PowerDirector 7 build 1714, I was also getting the audio out of synchronization with the video on longer videos.

Cyberlink sent a link to build 1829. I followed the uninstall instructions posted earlier in this thread, given in Forum 2405.

I am using Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3. I downloaded Windows Installer 4.5 from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en
Note be sure to select the correct installer for your operating system.

After installing Installer 4.5, a reboot is necessary.

I then installed PD7 build 1829. In my case, I chose to create a new pds file, and not use one created in a prior build.

I found build 1829 to be significantly more stable than build 1714. I was no longer getting the "Windows has encountered and error and needs to close" type of error after editing a video file for about 30 minutes or so.

The sequence that I found that works best for me in creating a video is:
1. Set Edit, Preferences to 16:9 format.
2. Load the video clips to the library.
3. Move the clips to the timeline.
4. Do all of the clip trimming first.
5. Add Titles. I found it works better to add the title, set the duration, and then set the font and content. Instead of copying the title to the next title, I use the same sequence to create the next title.
6. Set the Chapters manually. I strive for approximately 10 minute intervals between Chapters. Have a plan and set them in sequential order.
7. Rename the Chapters using short names.
8. When going to Burn, first check the length. Use HQ quality if possible.
9. Set the folder for the ISO image files.
10. In the Menu screen, set the Menu Chapters heading for all Menu pages, then set the Menu title for the home page.
11. Save once again.
12. Burn with selection to both DVD and File folder.
13. Check the completed DVD before burning any additional copies.

Note that I do a save about every 15 minutes of editing. I also increment the pds filename before each major step in the above process. That way I am able to go back to a prior step, if I make a mistake.

I still need to try the tests to see if the audio sync issue is related to the selection of Smart Fit or HQ.

For those using build 1829, are you having audio problems with both Smart Fit and HQ quality settings? I realize that HQ can only be used if the files will fit 4.7 GB without further compression.
Vinh [Avatar]
[Post New]
my problem seems to occur when i use magic motion to add motion to the pictures. when i delete the transition without deleting the whole pictures all the video after that are out of sync. one other work around is to use slideshow to make the pictures into one project file and this seems to delete the audio/video issue since the slideshow replaces any transition effects previously created.
Jeff P. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2008 01:09 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Ditto to nearly every post. My first project using PD 7.00.2227c has the sync problem. Luckily for me I'm using very little of the video sound track. For the clips from which I want to include the original audio, it has been necessary for me to split the audio track, and then yes, one needs to be careful to keep it aligned with its original video clip.

All video was captured directly from a DV video camera in an AVI format.

This really is an annoying problem, and I don't relish the prospect of always needing to split my audio track from the video.

JP