Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Optimizing performance of PD12
Harry Maes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2013 04:38 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
I sometimes have crashes in PD12. This mostly happens when:

- there are more then 2 video's active in the timeline and I have my setting to preview HD or Full HD;
- when double clicking a video to open the edit window.

I think this has something to do with the speed of the harddisk(s) where PD12 can't read quick enough? What are your experiences and opinions about that?

So how do you optimize your PC to improve performance and stability of PD12?

When my 2TB drive was new and didn't contain as much data as it does now it was (probably) quicker and I didn't have any crashes. I have a GTX660 and this improved the stability a lot too but currently I again get frequent crashes. Note that this was happening in PD11 also.

Concrete questions:

1. What typeof harddisk will really improve the speed of PD12? SSD to store the video's? I use an SSD for my boot/win7 drive.
2. How about a strategy with multiple drives? With music production I use 3 for instance: 1 for program files, one for project files and one for more static files like samples. Would that be a way to speed up/stabilize things?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I sometimes have crashes in PD12. This mostly happens when:

- there are more then 2 video's active in the timeline and I have my setting to preview HD or Full HD;
- when double clicking a video to open the edit window.

I think this has something to do with the speed of the harddisk(s) where PD12 can't read quick enough? What are your experiences and opinions about that?

So how do you optimize your PC to improve performance and stability of PD12?

When my 2TB drive was new and didn't contain as much data as it does now it was (probably) quicker and I didn't have any crashes. I have a GTX660 and this improved the stability a lot too but currently I again get frequent crashes. Note that this was happening in PD11 also.

Concrete questions:

1. What typeof harddisk will really improve the speed of PD12? SSD to store the video's? I use an SSD for my boot/win7 drive.
2. How about a strategy with multiple drives? With music production I use 3 for instance: 1 for program files, one for project files and one for more static files like samples. Would that be a way to speed up/stabilize things?

Hi Harry Maes

In what form is the "crash" taking place. Is it a complete shut down with a boomarang popup appearing, a hang with a white screen, does the cursor show a blue circle?

How big is your SSD?

On the PDR11 forum there were reports of some of the larger 2+TB drives being slow and causing the problem you appear to be having (slow to initialise). A Google Search reveals some additional information on 2+TB drives you may need to read.

SSD is the way forward for editors who wish speed and use large files.

Dafydd
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

>>In what form is the "crash" taking place. Is it a complete shut down with a boomarang popup appearing, a hang with a white screen, does the cursor show a blue circle? <<

It's the Windows 7 dialog showing PDR12 has stopped. When using Normal preview mode it's not crashing very often. With the Multicam editor I don't need to edit in Full HD anymore to align audio to two video files which has improved my workflow.

>>How big is your SSD?

128Gb. I'm storing the video files on my third drive and the project files on the 2nd. So PD12 shouldn't be using C:
I have 20Gb free.

>>On the PDR11 forum there were reports of some of the larger 2+TB drives being slow and causing the problem you appear to be having (slow to initialise). A Google Search reveals some additional information on 2+TB drives you may need to read. <<

Will do. I tried running all video files on the C: SSD drive but that resulted in more stuttering on full HD somehow? I always learned for music production that the OS/Program disk should never be used for audio/video.

>>SSD is the way forward for editors who wish speed and use large files.
Probably yes. I really liked how my PC speed was improved when I changed my boot SATA drive to an SSD drive.
Are there PCI-E extension cards for SATA III?

Cheers!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2013 05:03

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Dafydd,

>>In what form is the "crash" taking place. Is it a complete shut down with a boomarang popup appearing, a hang with a white screen, does the cursor show a blue circle? <<

It's the Windows 7 dialog showing PDR12 has stopped. When using Normal preview mode it's not crashing very often. With the Multicam editor I don't need to edit in Full HD anymore to align audio to two video files which has improved my workflow.

>>How big is your SSD?

128Gb. I'm storing the video files on my third drive and the project files on the 2nd. So PD12 shouldn't be using C:
I have 20Gb free.

>>On the PDR11 forum there were reports of some of the larger 2+TB drives being slow and causing the problem you appear to be having (slow to initialise). A Google Search reveals some additional information on 2+TB drives you may need to read. <<

Will do. I tried running all video files on the C: SSD drive but that resulted in more stuttering on full HD somehow? I always learned for music production that the OS/Program disk should never be used for audio/video.

>>SSD is the way forward for editors who wish speed and use large files.
Probably yes. I really liked how my PC speed was improved when I changed my boot SATA drive to an SSD drive.
Are there PCI-E extension cards for SATA III?

Cheers!

Windows Dialogue box = Not Responding and waiting for the program to respond ummm... that appears to be HDD issue in my opinion, you're waiting for the program to access information from a slow drive (media files/large or at a location that is too long a local address). Could be the 2TB HDD drive issue I asked you to look up Google about.

You'll need to have a larger SSD in my view if you're to use it to host your media files while editing. 128gb and smaller have been used and got ok results, even CyberLink were using smaller SSD's to check 4K out and found it ok. Be aware of the read write speed of some SSD's, the latest are usually ok.

You asked "Are there PCI-E extension cards for SATA III? ", I honestly don't know and have have no need to look up the data . You'll need to go Googling for that info.

Have you installed PDR12 onto your C (SSD) drive or elsewhere?

I hope some of what I've written has helped.

Dafydd
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll certainly check out the issues with the drives. My videos drive is 2TB so I'll see if I can find some info on that.
I measured the speeds of the disks recently and the difference between the SSD (I have a fast Samsung SSD 840 Pro) and the SATA disks is huge. Shame the prices of the SSD drives is still pretty steep, certainly the larger ones.

The PDR12 program and files are indeed on my C (SSD) drive.

Thanks for your details replies sir!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'll certainly check out the issues with the drives. My videos drive is 2TB so I'll see if I can find some info on that.
I measured the speeds of the disks recently and the difference between the SSD (I have a fast Samsung SSD 840 Pro) and the SATA disks is huge. Shame the prices of the SSD drives is still pretty steep, certainly the larger ones.

The PDR12 program and files are indeed on my C (SSD) drive.

Thanks for your details replies sir!

Hi Harry Maes ,
Thank you for the information. You are right, the speed difference is significant and perhaps PDR12 is "working" quicker than the 2TB can respond to... ;(
Just a thought.
Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Harry,
If you place your project files onto C drive and not in the 2TB drive, do you have the same issue with PDR12 becoming unresponsive and the W7 window appearing?
Dafydd
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Harry,
If you place your project files onto C drive and not in the 2TB drive, do you have the same issue with PDR12 becoming unresponsive and the W7 window appearing?
Dafydd

I loaded the videos from the SSD drive and it the HD was more stuttering in the preview windows then when the files were on the other drives which I found strange? So I stopped placing them on the SSD drive.
I will try again to do this when I edit some more videos soon.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

I loaded the videos from the SSD drive and it the HD was more stuttering in the preview windows then when the files were on the other drives which I found strange? So I stopped placing them on the SSD drive.
I will try again to do this when I edit some more videos soon.

Hi Harry,
1. Check your Preview settings - what have you set them as?
2. What's the HD file format and layout of the project in Edit Workspace? Please provide the MediInfo on the files (maybe), see Guide, Part I.
3. In Preferences, have you unchecked the Shadow File option in General and unchecked the Confirmation reminder?

Just checking the stuttering causes.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2013 08:39

Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

>>1. Check your Preview settings - what have you set them as?

Realtime (always) - Quality - High preview but I also often set it to Full HD as a final check. On the High preview I don't get a lot of crashes. I do have to keep my hard disks defragmented often.

>>2. What's the HD file format and layout of the project in Edit Workspace? Please provide the MediInfo on the files (maybe), see Guide, Part I.

Type: mp4 - H.264 AVC
Bitrate: 44.01 Mbps
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame rate: 25 fps
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Baseline profile
Progressive Frame Type

Additional info from Windows properties:

Data rate: 44693kbps
Total bitrate: 46231kbps

Audio - Bitrate: 1538Kbps, 48Khz, stereo

Is that the info you meant?

>>3. In Preferences, have you unchecked the Shadow File option in General and unchecked the Confirmation reminder?
Yes.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the information Harry. I'd like to see/have more information on the video files you're editing please.
1. Sample/source, 5 seconds of video unedited and from the camera please. Point and shoot 5 seconds.
2. Layout of your project.
Dafydd
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the information Harry. I'd like to see/have more information on the video files you're editing please.
1. Sample/source, 5 seconds of video unedited and from the camera please. Point and shoot 5 seconds.
2. Layout of your project.
Dafydd

Thanks for your help.

I created 5 sec videos from my Canon 60D and iPad, added an audio clip of about 5 secs and created a project with it like how I normally create videos. Funny thing is that even a tiny project like this crashed. I often have crashes in the PiP designer after double clicking a video. Not sure if this is only a HD issue?

Zip download removed

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 16. 2013 08:20

Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, just moved all the files in the small example I sent you to the SSD (C drive) and started editing. Fairly quickly I got a crash when changing the files. It now crashed when removing a clip and using Ctrl-Z to restore it.
So maybe it's not HD related at all?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2013 06:15

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Harry,
Thanks for the files.... now to what's missing

1. Can you create the same issue without the overlaid and intro content you've added?
2. what's the results - did it crash?

I'm looking for the "unusual" and the additions you've added are the odd items here, so if removing them corrects the situation then maybe the issue is localized to those files.

4 files missing.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Harry,
I didn't get the crash with the project - though the excluded files made for a poor video and a lot of blank screen.
Dafydd
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
I now moved all the files to the same folder on the SSD (C-drive).

1. Yes, after a few times Shift-Del - Ctrl-Z it crashed again. This was on the project with the intro/outro and overlay.
2. A copy of the project without the intro/outro overlay also crashed, this time when double clicking a video.

I'll send the additional files and a new project to you.
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Harry,
I didn't get the crash with the project - though the excluded files made for a poor video and a lot of blank screen.
Dafydd

Might be related to my graphics card? GTX660 - I have NVidia driver version 320.49
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Hi Harry,
Dafydd

Might be related to my graphics card? GTX660 - I have NVidia driver version 320.49

Noticed the latest version is 327.23 - anyone have experience with that version?
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's the new project (larger) http://www.sendspace.com/file/okswuv
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Did editing on 2 video's today, no more crashes and snappy performance with the latest NVidia driver. Happy the issue is resolved by updating the driver.