Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
wow powerdirector would kill a business
cyberlinknotsosure [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2013 09:17 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
we have been testing powerdirector i think its version (10) and the damn thing wont render anything bigger then a 320\228 pocketpc video, making the software worthless, try to render a video at dvd quality and it just renders a single frame

this software would put a business under if it depended on it,

any suggestions before we RUN the other way

tried this on TWO different machines to make sure it wasnt machine specific, both run the processor at 100% cpu load and freeze up multiple times, as well as anything with transitions in it that are not very basic are worthless,

to add insult to injury they wanted us to PAY to talk to someone about these issues,

anyone have anything to add?

FYI: its a great software if you only want to make a video with one clip, no joining, no transitions, and render at a small mobile phone display output, then again thats what makes it so worthless i guess
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
WOW, THAT WAS QUITE A RANT however you are welcome to your opinion. .

Before we can answer that you are wrong, please post some specifics on what you have and what you are doing. Many millions of people don't have a problem. Where did you get the software?

Please post this information: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

if you are really serious about getting some very good techinical information on how to run the product. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
sorry yeah i can rant sometimes but it gets so frustrating to put these cool projects together and not be able to produce them, ill reply in a few with all the info requested

thanks for trying to help
PapidoFrance45
Member Location: France-St jean le blanc Joined: Jan 21, 2011 05:06 Messages: 83 Offline
[Post New]
The problem is probably the interface "Man / Machine" Hi All

Win10 64bits PRO OEM - i7 3820 3.6Ghz - 18Go de Ram-GTX960 (375.95)
[Post New]
Papido, while i appreciate the thought and i wont rule that out it is HIGHLY unlikely i have more technical certifications in the computer network and support industry then most of the people on this forum, i dont think im doing anything wrong but expecting the software to perform as advertised

thanks for the cheap shot though!
[Post New]
1. Which operating system do you use, W8, W7, Vista, XP?

Windows 7 PRo 64 bit version

2. Which version of PD, See Part A below

10.0.0.1519a

3. Which SR number (available in the "About" box of PD and is NOT the CD-Key!)

MES111219-05

4. What kind of video source material used (codec / container), extension? We often ask for a 5 to 10 second sample , please provide one as an attachment.

Sample attached

I used all types but the videos are loading mostly from a webcam as .wmv, or from a hd camera shooting at 720p, the extensions on teh camera files are .MP4

5. A detailed step by step description of the problem. See Part D below.

I load powerdirector on the machine, choose full feature editor, load clips to library, start editing clips, thats when the freezing starts, if i try to play back a clip on the timeline whenever it hits a transition the machine locks and the program halts (it doesnt crash) just stops responding for like 3 minutes then jumps back on, also if i try to render a fully edited clip and i choose high def, or say wmv for lan network (900-3000 kb) the video will render but 7 times out of ten it is just the first clip to a transition, then it just shows a single image, this DOES NOT occur if i render to pocketpc or mobile formats 225kbps or so , when i get a video to render its great software, but that rarely happens, also very rarely it crashes when i try to import a clip, also the program halts for 2-3 minutes and stops responding when resizing the timeline sometimes

6. What anti-virus solution is installed on your PC?

We use Avast for networks

7. What codec packs installed? See PD's Readme html file

I didnt see a way to check that????

8. What other video editing programs are installed - just in case there is a software conflict.

None

9. What burning software is installed on your PC?

Whatever came with the cyberlink suite , we dont use it though

10. What type of blank disk was used, if you have a burning create issue?

N/A
11. What background processes / programs running (especially important for problems with the burning)?

104 processes running i know thats a lot but this machine is a pig, cpu load goes to 100% when pd is running roughly 20% without it running

12. Provide the dxdiag log file as an attachment, see Part B below

attached
 Filename
pdhelp.zip
[Disk]
 Description
Diagnostic files and sample video output
 Filesize
461 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
263 time(s)
[Post New]
update, on a different pc i just tried to make a basic edit with two 1 minute clips, i joined them used a title slide then went to produce them, the machine froze during rendering right after the 5 second title slide, different video, different machine, different install SAME buggy clunky software
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry if this comes across as being too direct. Most of what I have below is well understood by someone "skilled in the Art". (An old patent phrase".

1) That computer even in the best shape will be hard pressed to work with this program.

You have a "AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz"

The programs (to work properly requires) for:

DVD Quality (MPEG-2) Profiles: Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2

Since you have experience with computers, I'm not going to get into why and what. It may work, it will be slow, it will hang and since it will use 100% of you CPU over a long period of time, will cause it to overheat.

2) The video chip drivers are out of date. They really need to be updated. Yours are from 2009, the latest ones I see are from 2012. Go here, double check and install.

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.12&contentType=GPU+Download+Detail&ostype=Windows+7+-+64-Bit+Edition&keywords=&items=20

3) That video looks like it was taken with a cell phone. It has low resolution (208 by 160) at 20 frames per second. That is not typical for a video taken from a camcorder or even from a webcam.

4) I had no issues working with it and outputting it to a mpg2 file. As expected because of the starting point, it was pixelated. How about more of a challenge? Load 3-5 seconds of something from your camcorder or even your webcam. Just point it at nothing and take 3-5 seconds. Attach that.

5) Of course we can see the health of your computer from the information provided. When was the last time your
a) Got rid of trial software or software you no longer use.
b) Get rid of junk and temp/tmp files.
c) Defrag !

6) Have you ever used msconfig.exe, start up to limit the processes that load at boot? Uncheck those that you don't need to be loaded at start up. If you are not sure, download the free "Soluto" software, it will help you decide.

Come back and let us know what you are planning to do! It just seems strange that someone who works in the indoustry doesn't have a better or more well maintained computer.
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
stevek
[Post New]
Is the second computer similar to the first one -- same or better CPU, well maintained, up to date?

No I am beginning to believe that it is a picnic issue. (if you are in the industry, you'll know what that means).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2013 13:04

[Post New]
steve

i realize this is not the most optimal pc for this sort of thing, the video was pixelated because it was edited video PRODUCED with pd, i thought thats what you wanted, i wasnt aware you wanted source video

still overall i think even with it being slightly underpowered this program should be more stable

as for the trial software we use this pc for lots of things, who knows whats in it, all i know is its not virused or spyware mucked

ill check on the video drivers you may be on to something there

the second pc has different specs

lol i loved the picnic reference, or as we say 99.9% of the computer issues in this day and age are found between the chair and the keyboard, EU dont like that very much

ill attach a new vid clip in a sec

on the other pc the video finally rendered, half of it was just a frozen photo with audio then it came to life and started moving again towards the end, a real piece of work this software is lol
stevek
[Post New]
Ok you passed one test ! .
[Post New]
ok 20 seconds outside my office

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35382354/P1020486.MP4

UNEDITED
stevek
[Post New]
Got it.

It took me 7 seconds to encode the mp4 to HD mpg2 My computer specs are in my signature. No, hangs, hiccups or other.

It took me 1:30 to convert it to HD YouTube video. It is here- (make sure you select HD playback option).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2f4jlds1ms

I'm convinced that it is the limited ability of that computer. Doesn't anyone you know have one that exceeds the minimum specs? If so perhaps they can download the trial software and try it. Note that the trial has some restrictions.

I like the palm trees with the wind. We have palm trees but no wind. Right now it is 99.5 F outside my door !

Do you want anything else?

[Post New]
12 gb memory the max on this thing was 8gb, i guess i really cant do anything, the software is a resource pig so lol, but i appreciate the tech help, i was suspicious of the machines limits, i thought a company like cyberlink would have built software that was user friendly to basic systems as well, i was wrong, ill put in a PO for a newer machine,

I wonder if updating the video card would help at all
[Post New]
yeah the palm trees are everywhere, i live in Key West an island at the southermost point of florida, and the USA lol
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
The one thing I noticed;

Are you using a recent trial version download? Or something that was downloaded awhile back?

You are using version 10, build 1519A. The latest version of PD10 is build 2231 which corrected some graphic driver incompatibility issues.

Just was curious to know if the current PD10 trial being offered was an older build which may also be the source of the problem.

Also:
If you import HD footage you will be prompted to use "Shadow files". These are a lower resolution copy of the original that PD uses to edit with, taking the strain off of your CPU. They may not be fully created which will cause hesitation during editing, since the CPU is being used to generate them. You can tell if you are using shadow edit files by the thumbnail in the media room has a small filmstrip icon on each of your imported clips. They start as yellow and change to green in color when they are completely generated. Might be a source of the problem when trying to edit, since your CPU might be busy creating these shadow edit files your CPU doesn't have the additional power to also edit.

Just a thought.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: yeah the palm trees are everywhere, i live in Key West an island at the southermost point of florida, and the USA lol

I live in the Republic of Texas ! Near Houston HOT. .
[Post New]
captain, yes i know of shadow files, very neat setting, i let the pc create them

the republic of texas lol, i live in a place called the "conch" republic"

its 99 with humidity here today
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: captain, yes i know of shadow files, very neat setting, i let the pc create them

the republic of texas lol, i live in a place called the "conch" republic"

its 99 with humidity here today

And was your trial download a recent one? Using a current version can be beneficial. That build number you provided is outdated.

Updating your graphic card drivers to the latest version, in most cases, is likely to correct some issues. Has that been done on the system you are using?
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
not as of yet, its had a freezing issue for quite some time, it just freezes and "beeps" we never found a virus or anything our techs were stumped, im not ready to completely blame the software, or the machine, ill update the card drivers, who knows it might correct the whole issue, the machine as a whole runs weird, but we like the pd software so we tried it