Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mono Sound in Both Channels on AVC file and Single Channel on Disc
WSC3 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 23, 2013 16:29 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
I created a short movie from hi def clips from two different cameras, one that yielded 5.1 stereo (mts files) and the other mono sound (mov files). The video produced as an AVC and the mono sound remained. When I created a DVD, the mono sound shifted to one channel only.

How do I keep the mono in both channels on the DVD? The m2ts file was fine. I lost a channel on creating the disc.

Thanks.

Scott
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I created a short movie from hi def clips from two different cameras, one that yielded 5.1 stereo (mts files) and the other mono sound (mov files). The video produced as an AVC and the mono sound remained. When I created a DVD, the mono sound shifted to one channel only.

How do I keep the mono in both channels on the DVD? The m2ts file was fine. I lost a channel on creating the disc.

Thanks.

Scott

Hi WSC3,
You can use WaveEditor to alter Mono to Stereo.

Open PDR11,
Place the MOV file in the Library and right click on it.
Select, Extract Audio.
A wav file will be created within your Export folder (See Preferences for "Export" location.).

Open WaveEditor
Import the Wav file
WaveEditor displays a warning message - see images.
Select, OK
Select, Save track as.
Output audio converted to Stereo.

I hope the images help.

Dafydd

[Thumb - SD-2013-02-130.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-130.png
[Disk]
 Description
WaveEditor Mono-Stereo
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
676 time(s)
[Thumb - SD-2013-02-132.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-132.png
[Disk]
 Description
Stereo-Properties
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
672 time(s)
[Thumb - SD-2013-02-133.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-133.png
[Disk]
 Description
Mono-Properties
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
648 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Aug 06. 2013 04:48

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
One more image
[Thumb - SD-2013-02-134.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-134.png
[Disk]
 Description
Mono displayed as Stereo
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
652 time(s)
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd for the great details. It is in both channels on the produced file, but moves to one channel on the disc. Why does it do that? This is a lot of work for something that seems like it ought to be unnecessary.

Thanks again!!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Dafydd for the great details. It is in both channels on the produced file, but moves to one channel on the disc. Why does it do that? This is a lot of work for something that seems like it ought to be unnecessary.

Thanks again!!

Hi WSC3,
I'm guessing and not testing out the theory/guess... I presume the finished vob/mpeg files are merely replicating what's in the project. Where you have a mono audio in the tracks, that's what produced.

What was the mov produced by/camera make model?

Dafydd
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The smaller camera that produces mov files is a "Fujifilm FinePix XP60 16 MP Digital Camera"
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi WSC3,

Thank you for the information. I wonder if I could impose a little request. Please can you point, record 5 seconds of video and upload the sample file here, off your "Fujifilm FinePix XP60 16 MP Digital Camera"? I just want a sample in case I have call to need one etc.

Dafydd
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok. How do I upload the video?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ok. How do I upload the video?

Select Post Reply and then the Attachmemt option.

Link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/reply/0/29358.page

Dafydd
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Dafydd,

I got the o/p file to stereo. Now, how do I import the new stereo audio sound back into my movie to replace the old mono version?
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
And here is your video file clip from the Fuji. Will this suffice?
 Filename
Emerald Isle 2013 - DSCF0023.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12695 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hey Dafydd,
I got the o/p file to stereo. Now, how do I import the new stereo audio sound back into my movie to replace the old mono version?

Quote: And here is your video file clip from the Fuji. Will this suffice?

Hi WSC3,
Thank you for the video sample clip.

You asked about importing the audio file - that would be the same as any audio file. Marrying up the audio manually - a pain. However there is a different solution, see below.

When you have a segmented/split/edited mono audio files in a project, in the tracks, you can
1, simply highlight and select Edit Audio/Wave Editor.
2. Bringing the mono clip into Wave Editor will cause a change and when selecting "X" to exit the program you'll be asked whether to save the changes, select "Yes".
3. The mono becomes a stereo file and is then saved and placed in your Export location.
4. In the track the audio and video are separated as the audio has now changed to stereo.
5. You will need to carry out these actions/changes for all your mono clips in your project.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2013 02:36

WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did 1 - 4 to create the stereo clip, right? That worked well and was easy as you said.

I'm still not clear on how to pull it back into the movie. How do I replace the mono soundtrack with the stereo soundtrack? "Marrying it" back, as you say. Did you paste the wrong instructions above?

Thx.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I did 1 - 4 to create the stereo clip, right? That worked well and was easy as you said.

I'm still not clear on how to pull it back into the movie. How do I replace the mono soundtrack with the stereo soundtrack? "Marrying it" back, as you say. Did you paste the wrong instructions above?

Thx.

Hi WSC3,
Marrying them up, you may need to expand the track to single frame display to get alignment correct.

Ok, try the following.
Right click on a clip you've got mono audio off and it's in the track (you can do this for any clip in the track).
Select Unlink Audio and Video
You will need to highlight the audio track only and then select to delete it.
Drag the stereo audio into the track and position.
See images.

I hope that helps.

Dafydd

Right click on track video - displays dialogue box.

Remove or move the mono audio and replace with stereo (dragged down from the library and into the track).
[Thumb - SD-2013-02-140.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-140.png
[Disk]
 Description
Replace mono with stereo
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
539 time(s)
[Thumb - SD-2013-02-139.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-139.png
[Disk]
 Description
Right click
 Filesize
56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
554 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2013 10:25

WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It worked great, but boy, that's a lot of work and i have about 25 of these short clips...
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Help from a private message suggests that I "use the CLVS (CyberLink TrueTheater Surround) function within the produce tab or create disc tab which will render mono audio to both left and right channels. You can use like the living room setting."

What do you think?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi WSC3 ,
You can give that a go. I haven't tried the feature with mono audio and it might/might not work. Always worth a try and would be a simpler workaround for you.
Dafydd
Edit: Let me know how you get on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 12. 2013 08:06

WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Will it adversely affect anything else in my movie?
WSC3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It seemed to have worked. I need to play it on my DVD, but it sounds good on my PC. What is the difference in surround sound and CLVS?

PS I accidently clicked "Stop watching this topic" and the reset the URL to "watch" and hit enter. I'm not sure that worked. How to I reactivate watching a topic?
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It seemed to have worked. I need to play it on my DVD, but it sounds good on my PC. What is the difference in surround sound and CLVS?

Quote: PS I accidently clicked "Stop watching this topic" and the reset the URL to "watch" and hit enter. I'm not sure that worked. How to I reactivate watching a topic?

Same place: bottom left of any thread. It's a toggle between WATCH and STOP WATCHING.

[Thumb - 2.JPG]
 Filename
2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
463 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 13. 2013 17:07