Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
blacked out regions in video
BroDon316
Member Location: Landenberg, PA Joined: Jun 23, 2013 09:55 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
My source clips are from a Canon 6D, 24fps, ALL-1 compression.

I was making a title mid-clip, before I learned about the wonderful subtitle feature which I now really like, and it seems to work well for me. But as I was working with the title it is like I put a black mask on the timeline to the end of that clip.

If I put another copy of the same clip in another place on the timeline, there is no blacked out region on the video clip. So the origional clip is unchanged, or the timeline where it plays is unchanged.

In the blacked out region the subtitles appear properly in the preview window and the final DVD. If I make a Produced file or DVD, that region, about 5 minutes of a 6 minute clip in a 58 min video, at about 10 minutes from the beginning, the video freezes until the place where the next clip starts and normal video, well synced to the audio, starts playing. So no blacked out region, but a frozen video image of what appears to be the last frame before the blacked out region. The subtitles are clearly visible in this region.

If I delete the clip in PD11 Edit mode, while I have not made a file or DVD, in the preview window the video goes black over the next clip in the same timeline as it was on the previous clip. So the effect appears to be on the timeline. Yet I see no commands on the timeline anywhere.

This is a simple movie with the clips on track 1, one transition effect at the 10 seconds, a VO on track 2 audio, at a title at the beginning and the end of the movie. The SVRT track is a solid red line from begining to end of the movie, there is no chapter title in the blakced out region, lot so subtitles in the subtitle line, nothing on the Title line even with the curser at full + resolution in this area, and nothing on any of the other tracks except for the VO track. When this blacke dout region first appeared I had no titles or VO anywhere.

Or in Edit mode, if I start playing the clip where it is good, when the black region appears, the video image freezes, just like I am seeing in the final file or DVD. In this region on the timeline, in the preview window, the subtitles appear on the screen, either over a blacked out video, or a frozen video of the scene just before this blacked out region. This is true no matter what video clip is in that timezone.

When I deleted that region I chose the "remove and move clips on same track" or "all tracks," the blacked out region remains over the new clip.

I moved that clip from track 1 to track 3, and the blacked out region remained the same. On this playback in the preview window is was the frozen screen image.

So how can I remove this "black mask" or video freeze command, and get the origional video back?
 Filename
DxDiag ASUS.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag ASUS computer
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
500 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 04. 2013 13:44

PD 11 Ult Suite PD11.2812,
ASUS G750JW: Win 8 64-bit OS; Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ processor, 2.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz); 8GB DDR3; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB graphic; HD 5400 rpm 1TB. USB 3.0 1-4TB.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi BroDon -

At the point where the "black" glitch occurs, is there anything else happening? What other editing steps were taken? Any enhancement, video crop, video speed. effect applied? Was hardware acceleration enabled?

The have been issues with previous versions of PD showing up (not completely dissimilar) glitches in MPEG-2 production... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/21166.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20748.page
= these issues may be unrelated (or not)

Could you please post a screenshot of the "glitch" (the blacked out regions)?

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BroDon316
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

The only things that happened in this region are
- tried making a title here before I knew about the subtitle function, that is when the black happened
- no triming, as this was an "auto clip" made in the camera when 4GB was reached, 6 min, there was no editing to fit or match the next clip or the previous clip.

No other editing in this clip other than I started to put in subtitles, but the black out effect was already in place.

Yes the default in Preferences for enable harware decoding was checked.

I was working on making a title and the black screen appeared, probalby something I did in my clumsiness. Anyway I deleted the title and started using subtitles instead.

If I move the clip from track 1 to track 3, the blackout remains.

Screen shot attached showing visible subtitle but blacked out video.
 Filename
PD11 blacked out region on clip M200.doc
[Disk]
 Description
screenshot showing video black out with subtitle visible on preview screen, PD11 in Edit mode
 Filesize
722 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
267 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 04. 2013 15:54

ASUS G750JW: Win 8 64-bit OS; Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ processor, 2.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz); 8GB DDR3; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB graphic; HD 5400 rpm 1TB. USB 3.0 1-4TB.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the information & screenshot. The more we know about the details, the easier it is to resolve.

Unfortunately, the screenshot doesn't tell a great deal, though it does indicate there's a serious problem! I thought you said there were "patches of black". So - the video goes black & there are frozen sections? I'm more awake now!

I noticed in your DxDiag that you've installed the latest BETA driver for you GTX 765M (3/7/2013) . Have I read that correctly?

Have you tried unchecking the hardware acceleration options in preferences to see whether that has any impact?

Cheers - Tony
BroDon316
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Yes, screen goes black but subtitles are visible in DP11 Edit mode in the preview screen. On the new ASUS machine it somethimes shows the frozen last frame vide, just like seen on the DVDs.

I unchecked hardware acceleration, played the clip again, and no change.

This effect started when I first got DP11, a nubee, and was running it on my old 2008 Gateway. Then I bought my new computer and loaded PD11 Ulitmate Suite to make this my media machine. The problem moved with the file pac to the new machine.

I did not update any drivers as this model is fresh from ASUS. I updated the drivers on my older Gateway also in an attempt to get PD11 to work at more than a turtle crawl. I gave up and got a new laptop.

So I assume the ASUS DxDiag is correct, but no, I have not updated any drivers on it. I checked the GeForce website and the BETA is the latest version, published June 25, 2013, barely a week old. GeForce says is does auto updates as they come out.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 04. 2013 18:46

ynotfish
[Post New]
OK - perhaps it is something odd about the way the DxDiag is "interpreting" your GPU driver. I was just fishing for possibilities anyway!

So - you've packed a project from your other PC?

Have you tried to replicate the issue in a new project?
- Import clip from Canon 6D - insert title at similar point? Might be worth a shot?

Cheers - Tony
BroDon316
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

If I put the same clip at the end of the movie, a duplicate of the same clip, m200, from the media tray, it has no black out.

Seems to be a combo of that clip and that space in the timeline.

The problem moved with the pac so it is in the project file.

If I take the clip, m200, and move it to the end of the movie on track 1, still has the same black out, but no subtitles as they stayed behind.

If I move m200 to the end of the movie, insert a new copy of m200 from the media tray into the same space, the new m200 has the same blackout

If I take another clip, say m206, and put it in the same place on the timeline as m200 was, it has no blackout and the subtitles play properly, over the now working video.

I then delete m206, put in a new m200 from the media tray, the m200 now has the blackout.

Opened a new project and use just that clip, m200, starting a 0:0:0, same blackout! Did it aqain, put in next to the first m200, and both have the same blackout. Went to the origional clip, as I only used copies, put it into the project, and it had no blackout!!!

So made copy of origional m200, called it m200 copy, saved it inthe pac file, and import it to the new single clip project. It has no blackout.

So imported it into the real project file, deleted m200, inserted m200 copy, and blackout gone!

Good thing I followed that PD Project Managment clip I found on YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o

It appears that the core issue was that the corruption of the m200 clip occurred on my slower computer as I tried to get the titler to work for me like I wanted rather than what it wanted. Probably as I did not yet learn to let PD11 do its thing, no matter how long it takes. So I am a bit more patient, even on my faster new machine. I am so glad I can move forward from here.

THANKS!

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jul 04. 2013 18:42

ynotfish
[Post New]
Wow! That's seriously thorough problem solving. Great work.

It's a good lesson to all of us about workflow & troubleshooting.

Cheers - Tony
BroDon316
[Post New]
And Cheers to you, good sir!

The key was when you suggested I try the clip in a single project and see if the blackout comes with it. And it did.

That meant that PD11 had somehow corrupted the source clip. And to recover I had to go back to the orgional clip. Thank God I had followed that Project Managememt workflow.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 06. 2013 18:50

BroDon316
[Post New]
OOPs, there is more.

I went back and fixed 6 clips. Went the the oirgional download from the camera. Made a copy of the damaged clips, then copied that copy to my project media files.

Then inserted them into the project timeline.

All looked good. In the reveriew window all clips were clean with live video in each clip. No frozen video or blacked out regions.

Previously, with my new ASUS computer the blackout did not appear on the preview window, except if I moved the curser to that region, then it showed the black out with the subtitles visible. Once started mid blackout region, it would go to the frozen or still image until the next clip.

So after supposedly fixing them all I was producing to file and noticed that the screen was frozen, then released. OH MY, it was back!

Then I viewed the origional file and found the following wierdness. In roughly the same place as seen on the movie file, the screen froze till the end of the clip, 7:26. I was viewing in the bundeld Xbox that came with Windows 8 on my new computer. At 5:58 min the screen froze at stayed that way to the end of the ckip. If I restarted at 6:0, the motion was back and all looked well. And played properly to the end of the clip. Similar to what I was seeing on the PD11 preview window.

So there appeared to be a region on the video clip of about 1 or 2 seconds, 5:59 or 6:0, it was hard to get it exact. If I stopped prior to 5:58 and restarted playing at 6:0 it worked fine to the end of the clip. Restart at 5:58 or 5:59 and the screen remained frozen to the end of the clip. Again, this was with Xbox, but it acted similar to my produced file.

In the produced file, the frozen region was about 1 min and 15 seconds. In the origional file once it passed 5:58, it stayed that way to the end of the clip, unless I restarted at 6:0. But none of this was seen in PD11 Edit preview window. There all looked well.

For an immediate fix, I removed a section from the clip in PD11 edit to make the presentation sound reasonble, about 1 min 30 seconds, and made a new video file. No frozen scenes. Run time to make a 49 min movie was 25 minutes.

So then I went back to the timeling and removed 3 seconds in the offending region, and made another movie file. In the preview as I made the movie, at the time of the previous freeze, 36:42 min into the movie, there was no freeze of the video. So cutting out just that small section seemed to fix it.

So I went back and viewed the whole movie and found two more similar regions. Oh Joy!

So some sort of toggle command got into the clip.

I was able to go back and look at the source camera SD cards. There is no such image freeze, so the glitch got put in on clip file download, or perhaps I was not so good in my project workflow. That is a recovery path, but does not explain why PD11 Edit preview window does not show what is rendered.

In the courrupted clips there is no flash of light or any evidence of this toggle except that the screen freezes in movie view or the DVD..

BUT PD11 Edit preview does not show this toggle. But the final renedering for files or DVD do.

Any ideas?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 06. 2013 23:28

RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi BD,

Just a thought: Have you updated to the latest Qucktime player on your computer?

I see you have the ASUS G750 very nice. I have an older G50 that is stick rock solid that I recently turned into an HTPC.
Btw- in case your system didn't auto update the full version of Nvidia video driver 320.49 is now out.

From my own experiments with PD I find that the it has issues previewing .avi and .MOV files properly.
Not sure if you have already seen this link regarding .MOV files: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28871.page

I get blackout screens and irritating unexplained glitches when using these file formats. I generally just convert them to another format like MPEG4 or else .WMV to save myself this headache. (Yes I know not something that should be done in a paid prgm. My video camera does full AVCHD .m2ts files so PD works great with these, so the .avi & .MOV files I use from other sources is minimal.)

From your .doc link showing a screenshot you have a lot of splits and you are using the built in subtitle feature.
I find the more splits of the offending files PD does not play well with- causes more blackouts. I assume you need the splits for emphasis and matching up the audio to the subtitling.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BroDon316
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about all the split issues. But at least I am not alone.

My files are from Canon 7D and 6D and read as Quicktime MOV files. Per your referenced thread these are "large" video files.

File size is dicated by Canon and the movie industry, split at 4GB or 29min59seconds, whichever comes first. On the 7D I get about 12 minutes per 4GB at full HD 1920x1080, and in the 6D, about 7 minutes in ALL-1 compression. Since my movies are 1 hour long, yes, these will be splits. Also there are process splits such as removing errors or filming stopping/starting and talent error correction. So each 1 hour movie has 15-25 spilts.

Sounds like PD11 is being stretched with my system.

I updated my Quicktime and the graphic driver. For my GeForce GTX 765M it is now 311.41 and no longer the BETA version

So how do you convert them to another format?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 07. 2013 15:03

RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey,

I use the free util called interestingly enough Freemake video convertor: http://www.freemake.com/

Give this a try. It's pretty easy to use. Let us know if a different format works for you.

Before I bought my Sony PJ7xx series camcorder I had a good look at a Pro series digital camera. But decided I needed a dedicated camcorder that could do well over an hour non stop recording for certain situations- in one file without any manufacturer auto splits. (This was before I even knew how to use an NLE like PD.) My wife has been hinting she wants a Pro series camera and the Canons are on the short Christmas wish list.

Rob
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BroDon316
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

Thanks, I'll check out the conversion factors.

I use my cameras for still photo work and only recently started doing video with them. For camcorder I have a Canon Vixia HF S10 that does the non-stop video recording, until you run out of power or card space.

All of them make auto-clips. Again the limit is 4GB or 29:59 min to make a new clip. On that basis all my Vixia clips at highest resolution run about 20min where they are made automatically and it keeps on recording until power or card space runs out.

I used to think Vixia files were big until I started using the 7/6Ds. So not only the cameras but the storage requirements in both capacity and speed go up.

Best Regards,
Don

BroDon316
[Post New]
I told a friend about my problems with a marker on a clip that cannot be seen. He said most Video edtiing has a command that shows all markers on clips.

Do you know of such a command/toggle in PD11? PD 11 Ult Suite PD11.2812,
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Don,

Not sure if I am thinking of what you are asking- but click on your video clip. Then click on the "Keyframe" tab and then expand "Fix/Enhance & "Clip Attributes" etc.

Have a look see if there is anything there that is relevant to you. Otherwise I'd like to to know myself if PD does have a feature like this I am missing.

Now I'm curious- you wouldn't happen to have a link showing these Clip Markers?

Rob
BroDon316
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

I did as you suggested, saw the key attributes screen on the left in PD11 and saw no marks of any kind. I went right down to the frame where the blackout starts.

I saw where all frames were displayed in the preview window. Then it was one frame with image; next frame no image, black; then next frame, image; then all subsequent frames black to the end of the clip.

No marks of any kind in the Key frame settings window and tracks.

What is the file size limitation on attachments. My clips run 7min or 4GB. PD 11 Ult Suite PD11.2812,
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, the markers, in this case Keyframes wouldn't show up unless you added them using that function. Basically clicking on the little diamond symbol in between the two opposing arrows. Then you can click on the arrows to cycle to each point that you made a key for.

The keyframes can be used as clip markers- but otherwise I don't think PD has a dedicated clip marker function like other editing prgms. Someone correct me if I am in error.

The largest file I've worked with was a 6GB AVC .m2ts file without any issues.

Rob PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
BroDon316
[Post New]
I am not aware I made any keymarkers, nor are any visible.

The issue started when I was working with Titler. But the other occurrences could perhaps be related to subtitles but none of the trigger points relate to a subtitle on/off location.

The good news was that my original files were untouched-uncorrupted as I only used copies in my editing process. About the only thing that may correlate is that the subtitles were adding more processing requirements on PD11 running on my older machine.

While the goal of this project is output to DVD for a TV station, I am loathe to reformat from MOV if I do not have to. PD 11 Ult Suite PD11.2812,
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Don,

check yer PM.

Also I stumbled across this- not sure if this will somewhat help you after the fact: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29164.page

R