Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AVCHD/30p Preview is black (no video)
dan_public123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 21, 2013 00:45 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
As part of some detailed Video Playback (preview) testing with a .MOV format clip (which was choppy and hesitates), I also found that the AVCHD/30p clips from my GH3 had no preview video in PD11. I.e. they were black/blank. The audio was fine. And clips in AVCHD/60p were fine.

For reference, attached a 5 second clip of my standard test scene in AVCHD/30p format with its Media Info file.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. Here is the post about the choppy .MOV preview issue: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28871.page

Filename
00006MTS.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
261 time(s)
 Filename
00006.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17922 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
218 time(s)
Director Suite with PD11
PC: Win7/64, 32Gb memory, SSD sys disk, Raid 5 data disk, Raid 0 production disk.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dan -

Yes - I confirm that the clip you posted displays as a black screen (with audio) in PD11. I tried the registry modification Adrian posted here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27040.page#147333 but it made no difference. Just a guess.

The clip plays fine in any number of media players.

It behaves the same way in previous versions of PD...

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
dan_public123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 21, 2013 00:45 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Dan -

Yes - I confirm that the clip you posted displays as a black screen (with audio) in PD11. I tried the registry modification Adrian posted here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27040.page#147333 but it made no difference. Just a guess.

It behaves the same way in previous versions of PD...

Cheers - Tony

Tony,

Thanks for looking at this. This clip plays fine on other media players for me too. OTOH, it won't play in PD11 on my other (DAW) workstation.

I suspect that it may be related to the fact that this format in a GH3 is a 60i format that the sensor converts and outputs at 30FPS.

One tidbit though... With this format/speed combo, PD11 locks up about 50% of the time when saving the project.

Regards,

Dan. Director Suite with PD11
PC: Win7/64, 32Gb memory, SSD sys disk, Raid 5 data disk, Raid 0 production disk.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Dan,

I just tried it also and found the exact behavior you describe.
I also did the VMR7 to VMR9 modification that Tony links to.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Dan -

Yes - I confirm that the clip you posted displays as a black screen (with audio) in PD11.

The MOV clip here played once (at low res) then would play only as a still frame, and - after fiddling with preview modes - as a black screen.

Worst still, thereafter NO clip of any kind would preview. If the pointer was clicked on the clip in the timeline a still frame would appear. But PLAY - no way.

Restarted PD11. Rebooted. Same. Should have tested a video driver reload, but instead made the fix by restoring a system image.