Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I cannot play videos, the preview screen is always green.
Happythumbs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2013 16:37 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
When I hit the play button in the preview screen it just stays green and plays the audio. The line that moves along with the time line does not move though. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I just upgraded from 10 and I have never seen this error before
Happythumbs [Avatar]
[Post New]
I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it and now nothing works. Every thing I click cause the program to crash. I have no idea how to fix it now
Happythumbs [Avatar]
[Post New]
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+14%26%2334%3B+Touch-Screen+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Gunmetal/Vintage+Gold/6747147.p?id=1218792108092&skuId=6747147

this is the computer I am using and it ran 10 fine. I would really appreciate any help
Happythumbs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Got it working to the point where all the video in the preview screen is green again. I have tried different formats of videos. I have have checked all of my drivers and they are updated. Everything on the laptop is updated (the laptop is brand new)PD also has the latest patch.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Happythumbs -

Not sure what the problem is but it sounds like it's GPU related.

It's be worth checking on the Sony site for any updates that may not have been installed http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=SVE14A27CXH&LOC=3#/downloadTab

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Happythumbs [Avatar]
[Post New]
I went through the website and all of my video cards are up to date. I never had a problem with PD 10. I decided to upgrade because I wanted faster render times and the ripple time line would make things easier for me. But no matter what type of video I try to load it always has a green screen in the preview screen. when I hit play the time line stays still and the sound goes. I cannot figure this out for the life of me. Thank you for the help though
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
OK - that's good.

Just try uninstalling Quicktime through the Control Panel), then reinstalling the latest version - http://www.apple.com/au/quicktime/download/ - EVEN if you have the latest version.

Just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Cheers - Tony
Happythumbs [Avatar]
[Post New]
I uninstalled the quick time and re-installed it and I am still having the same issue.
ynotfish
[Post New]
OK - just checking.

Have you tried a search for "green preview" to see what forum posts turn up? It's not an uncommon problem.

Make sure you check "Search any term, or as it is written".

Cheers - Tony
Happythumbs [Avatar]
[Post New]
I looked through it and it was the same thing about updating drivers. I am thinking about taking this laptop back
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Might be worth trying one or both of these :

If the laptop has selectable graphics try running on the Intel QS rather than the AMD Radeon HD 7670M hybrid

Try the registry hack to change the VideorRenderer key from VMR7 to VMR9 (see attached) This often works for the black screen preview, the green screen is, as Tony indicated, more often a graphics card issue.

Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - vmr9 hack.PNG]
 Filename
vmr9 hack.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1330 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Happythumbs [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did the VMR7 and VMR9 switch and it fixed the issue. Thanks for the help adrian
[Post New]
Wow..that was a great fix! Good to know...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2013 04:55

Dustie
I'm still working on it....
Tony [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2013 06:13 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again guys, Just to let you know that I found out how to change the vmr (sorry for my previous typo) from 7 to 9.
AND IT WORKS for PD11. Thank you so much, Adrian. For other users info my laptop came with PD8 installed and the vmr9 setting does not work for this, it needs vmr7. For other novices, this is how to change the value (be careful not to change anything else onscreen!)
- In Windows 8 press the Windows button + R
- Type regedit and ok it
- navigate (by double-clicking) to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink\PowerDirector11
- Scroll down list to find 'Videorenderer' and click on 'vmr7' to change value
- change 7 to 9 and OK
- close window and you're done!

Sorry to experienced users for simplifying this but I'm really happy to have found this solution from Adrian (vn800rider, thanks again) and thought other nexbies might find it useful.
Cheers, Tony.
Tony [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2013 06:13 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I meant newbies, not 'nexbies'
cathy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2013 10:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
vn800rider Please tell me how to do that. I've been trying to six weeks to get my preview window to preview the clips all I get is a black screen. I even paid $30 for technical support on the phone. They had no idea what they were talking about. They just kept saying you still have the same problem return email response and call us back and then nobody would email me back. I have been going crazy over this
cathy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2013 10:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you so much! It worked!
Mark1510 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2013 12:47 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem with the green screen in preview mode (from the timeline). Videos would play when selecting medium preview quality, but when I selected "high", I got the green screen and the timeline did not move, although audio played. After following the advice below, I switched vmr7 to vmr9 in the registry, everything worked fine! Thanks!

A followup question, though, is whether switching from VMR9 to EVR (enhanced video rendering) would provide even better quality. EVR came in with later versions of Windows. However, I'm afraid to change this again, since the VMR9 seems to work perfectly with PowerDirector 11.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a response from Cyberlink Tech support. I had to expend a lot of effort to send them screen shots, dxdiag file, etc.

Thanks again for the good fix noted below!
Robin1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2013 14:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Profound thanks to Adrian for suggesting/speculating that a solution to the "green screen" problem might lie in changing the video renderer, and to Tony for setting out the steps to follow in doing so. I'd been despairing of ever remedying the situation. Quite extraordinary that it entailed nothing more that changing a 7 to 9.

Robin 1 (newbie)
linda [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2015 17:47 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
tHANK YOU SO MUCH! i just upgraded from version 12 to 13 and i did not have any green videos in version 12 but 13 did. I changed the value from 7 to 9 in the registry and it worked. Thank you so much!!

Linda